This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To The "Bikers"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To The "Bikers"
    Posted: 25 May 2021 at 8:13pm
To those that straddle a "Harley", Gold Wing, or any other 2 wheeled "bike", do you consider a "TRIKE BIKE" of any form a "bike" ??  Been seeing a LOT of SPIDER bikes recently, but just this evening got behind an old "Trike Bike" with the 2 wheels in the rear Big smile.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 3:51am
Answer is a solid "NO".

Are a "Trike" for a reason, do not ride the same where are actually more likely to have control issues at speed, lean a bike for corners, steer a trike and the Spyder units are no more than a three wheel convertible "Car" with a steering wheel.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 4:07am
i want a "slingshot"!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 4:07am
we see alot of trikes traveling with the 2 wheelers
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 5:11am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

we see alot of trikes traveling with the 2 wheelers

Two couples in our group switched to Slingshots. They still ride with us.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 5:26am

I made the mistake of buying a Trike in 2018.
Biggest mistake I ever made.

First time out for a ride nearly ran off the road on a curve.

Their steering and handling is not meant to go around corners.

Like driving an old lumber truck without power steering.

Another fault is if a rear tire hits a Pot Hole, it has a tendency to want to throw you off the seat.

It does 'look pretty' when parked though.

G
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 8:48am
I'm thinkin a trike would be considered okay for a fellow rider.  Perhaps there was a health or age issue which required them to switch.  They still wanted to ride and be included, but could no longer do it on two wheels!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:33am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I'm thinkin a trike would be considered okay for a fellow rider.  Perhaps there was a health or age issue which required them to switch.  They still wanted to ride and be included, but could no longer do it on two wheels!
Agreed John.  Had a good friend and coworker that switched to a trike when he and his wife got older.  It ain't like he was cornering at 90mph anymore.  He loved it, wished he'd done it earlier he said.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 11:45am
I live right in the heart of one of America’s best motorcycle destinations. They come from all over to ride our hills n curves. Trikes included. Some handle quite well
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 12:50pm
Anything less than 4 wheels is considered a 'motorcycle' in basically all US jurisdictions.  that includes a Morgan, if one happens to have one in their collection.

As an aside note, 3-wheel motor vehicles have been 'around' as long as, if not longer, than 2-wheelers. 

Handling issues... there's two facets to this...

First, if you're driving a 'conversion'... a motorcycle converted to trike, there's some conversions that are substantially better, and some that are substantially worse, in both handling, and ride quality.  GOOD conversions include making changes to the front end's rake and trail, because the motorcycle's 'leaning' dynamics in 'simple' conversions cease to exist, rendering that aspect of handling moot.  Riders who learn the character of non-leaning trikes do fine, and those who don't, cannot.

Second, 'handling' of a three wheeler is NOT going to be the same as a two wheeler OR a four wheeler.  One cannot 'compare' them.  If there's any point of comparison, it would be with either 1) a motorcycle with a sidecar or 2) an automobile missing one wheel.   

For what it's worth, when you're driving a car in a tight corner, you're actively transitioning it into a two, or three-wheel vehicle, as the weight transfers from lateral acceleration.  Adding to that, when I'm riding MY motorcycles, and under extremely heavy braking, it is a ONE WHEEL vehicle- the rear tire has NO weight on it.  When I accelerate, having the front wheel lift off is not inconceivable (but I'm rarely in that big of a hurry... after all, it IS a Goldwing travelling byways... not a GP racer on the Isle of Man TT...

I met a guy three summers ago who built his using an independent rear suspension system around a Subaru differential, TIG welded double-wishbones, and motorcycle coil-over shocks.  The shock towers' tops and control arm brackets were on a pivot which was linked to the frontend such that a turn in either direction yielded a corresponding 'lean'... and conversely, a corresponding lean would counter-steer the front wheel to 'want' to stay centered.  As a result, in normal road driving, it leaned itself, and it's tires, as if it were a motorcycle.  Rather than the popular 'car tire', he ran motorcycle tires on each side, lightweight wheels, and inboard (on the transaxle, not the hubs) disk brakes.  Low unsprung weight, so it rode EXTREMELY well.    He had an electric actuator and a gyroscopic sensor that once stopped, the motorcycle would pull itself to perpendicular position... even if it was parked on a hillside!  He towed a one-wheel camping trailer, and his wife toured the country with him.  He used to do it on two wheels, until an ear-infection left him with vertigo issues.

He was kind enough to let me take it for a spin (with no trailer) and it was GREAT... almost forgot it was a 3-wheeler. 

As for Strykers and Slingshots, they're nothing new... the Morgan (noted previously) was first built in 1911, and has been on-and-off since then.  If the modern three wheelers look too much like movie CGI or a popular basketball shoe for you, look at the classic redux that is finishing up this model's production run this year, and supposedly, preparing the NEXT version (it's apparently also available as an EV?).

Three wheelers are rarely shunned from 'motorcycle' rides... because, as mentioned by others, they're very frequently operated by those who, for some reason, could not operate 2 wheelers anymore.  The few group rides I go on, usually include sidecar rigs, three wheelers, chopped-up, bobbed, butchered, whatever homemade contraptions, dune buggies... and nobody has problems with it.  in the same realm, some 'rides' may be 'brand-centric', the rides I'm on, aren't...

Because... it's not about the type of machine, or the brand, or the vintage... 

It's about the scenery, smelling the flowers, enjoying the day, with people out doing the same.  Wink   Usually, there's four or five 'guide-riders' in the group who know the route, and the rest have NEVER been down this way.  The restaurants and stores are happy to see us pull in, we never go away hungry, they never go home without good tips... and there's plenty of great scenery to photo, great stories to be told.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 1:04pm
The third wheel is usually used to replace the leg that was lost on two wheels previously.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 1:05pm
Some years back when out to Sturgis my son and I stopped for gas at a little place and just after we came in a group of Gold Wings a d Honda Trikes came in. Most acted like we were totally outsiders as he was riding a 52 Matchless G9 (500cc twin) and I had my 68  Norton N15cs  (Matchless frame Atlas 750cc engine) , soon one guy came over and started talking to us then another - soon around 10 guys were all looking over our bikes until a couple snobs from the trikes came and dragged them away - saying those are just old junk and not like our classic machine . 
  So it seems the Wing and Trike crowd look down on other cyclists' and not the other way around .  Heck I have had many Hamsters come over and check out my Nortons or sons other Matchless machines 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 5:43pm
Hell Coke, if I ran into you with my Goldwing and sidecar I'd be looking that snort-n Norton from top to bottom. I put the sidecar on to haul the kid when she was 4 years old. Have had a lot of Hardley riders come and check it out. When my dad couldn't hold his Wing up anymore they looked at trikes but didn't want that kind of payment in his 70's
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

The third wheel is usually used to replace the leg that was lost on two wheels previously.

That's an ignorant and unsubstantiated statement.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 7:32pm
Wife wanted a Trike so she could ride (Drive) it too, took one for a test ride, she did NOT enjoy the ride and I got released from said looking.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 8:31pm
I have a friend that has one. Has power steering and air conditioning. I asked him why the heck has it got AC? He said it's nice to have that cold air blowing on you when stopped at red lights.

They are not bikes.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 9:16pm
I've several trikes ( Harley or Honda conversion) in the area. The riders are all 70 plus. I talked with 2 of them and their wives while getting gas. Then 1's wife laughed and said the real reason he got it was because she'd grown too much and he had trouble holding up 2 wheels w/her at stops. He's about 5' 8" maybe 170lbs, she's 5'6" maybe 250 lbs. He didn't say anything just looked at her. She said then why aren't we on the knucklehead, he just smiled. 
IF I were to get different ride I'd look at a trike. For now will just keep my 2 old harley's , 1 is '01 and other is a '67.  
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:26am
the slingshots seats look comfy!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

the slingshots seats look comfy!
shameless usually around the end of August they have a slingshot convention here. Demo rides and rentals and such. You should come try one out.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:41am
I figured if I got the urge for a bike I’d have to get a trike. It’s not that I haven’t or can’t ride a bike but if I take some of the girls I date along I’m pretty sure 1 rear tire wouldn’t safely support and transport the load.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:39pm
KANSAS !!!

Laughing Smiley Emoji GIF - LaughingSmiley Emoji RollingOnTheFloorLaughing GIFs

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 May 2021 at 12:40pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:45pm

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

That's an ignorant and unsubstantiated statement.
                         I wouldn't have wanted to believe that either back when I was younger but I've heard it from both ER workers and prosthetic manufactures. I can even name ya a few that are on 3 wheelers now for that very reason. Matter of fact I heard a male nurse call them murdercycles. Me I don't care either way anymore about mc's. Ride em if ya got em I say. Loss of limb is what  I meant in the first sentence.

Edited by Walker - 27 May 2021 at 1:25pm
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:53pm
Look at the above photo and take a guess which part of you would come in contact first with the front of a car that just ran a stop sign. Now what were you saying about unsubstantiated and ignorant?
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 3:43pm
I ride both.  Single seat 2 wheeler by myself.  Trike when wife wants to go along.  I have a bad back and arty-ritus, can't hold a 2 wheeler up with a passenger.  It's a 3-wheel bike, don't give a fluck if it meets/passes anyone's muster about being a bike.  Now... those 3 wheel'd snowmobiles.... there's a freaking joke...
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 6:19pm
Look at the above photo and take a guess which part of you would come in contact first with the front of a car that just ran a stop sign. Now what were you saying about unsubstantiated and ignorant?

Again, That has absoutely no substantiation for your statement, and you've attempted to bolster it with fallacious support.  Any imbacile can see that the above pictures are NOT representative of a modern three-wheel road tourer.

Your suggestion of limb loss is totally fabricated- A simple observation of ridership populace proves otherwise.  Go to any ride, any rally, or visit with any rider on a three-wheeler, and take a count as to how many of them are missing limbs.  You'll find very few.  You might find they have to walk with canes or walkers.  You'll also find that MOST of them are generally older, and have been riding for well over half-a-century.

Your statement is now notonly ignorant and unsubstantiated... it is disrespectful of what is, by nature, a generally elderly, mostly retired, and basically always a well-educated population.  If they choose three-wheel touring as their form of enjoyment, it is not your, or anyone else's place to spew judgement upon them for doing so.  You can choose your own.  That old man, on his three-wheeler, very well may have been a medivac pilot in Vietnam, or a retired policeman, a surgeon, or a farmer.

Edited by DaveKamp - 27 May 2021 at 6:23pm
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 6:59pm
Aint gonna argue about it. Still say it's a bigger factor than evidently you can imagine. Maybe location plays a role this is touristy area here.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:53am
Geez-uz people......
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 8:21am

I take my old Honda 350X on the county highway once in awhile and actually have gotten the two finger biker greeting a couple times, surprised me.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 5:28pm
In defense of Walker, he made a joke, folks! If you dont like the joke, just sigh, and move on.  Too much testy-ness in the air, these days!Wink

Does anyone know the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?WinkWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic