This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Them dang nite CRAMPS again,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Them dang nite CRAMPS again,,,,,
    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:48am

I'm sure glad I gots an appointment this Thursday with my PCP,,,been waitin for this appointment for 3 months what with the dang Covin BS.
 I can't figure what I'm doing different or wrong,,but I've had TWO episodes with them dang nite leg Cramps in the last two weeks,,,,CHEEEEE-IT but they hurt,,!! Good thing I gots a bottle of the Hylands Leg Cramps and one pill had been enough til early this morning and had to take TWO,,,,,,!!
 Does anybody know for sure what foods might be triggerin the cramps or maybe what foods to eat to control em,,????
 About two months ago I had to go see a replacement Dr for my shoulder paining me and I asked him to run some labs for my potassium levels but results said they were OK,,,,WTH,,??
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 9:39am
Following this, wife wakes up screaming with these things.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 9:43am
#1 for me, tooooo much salt ( and it's hidden in LOTS of foods....)
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 10:39am
Water, MORE of it and a Potassium Supplement will decrease intensity.  Beyond that YOGA Therapy and Stretching exercises per my Doc.  
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 10:45am
Joe, what other meds are you on and have you looked into their side effects?
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 3:23pm
My chiropractor also does a lot of supplement items, and he told me to take magnesium.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 3:45pm

Causes

Overuse of a muscle, dehydration, muscle strain or simply holding a position for a prolonged period can cause a muscle cramp. In many cases, however, the cause isn't known.

Although most muscle cramps are harmless, some may be related to an underlying medical condition, such as:

• Inadequate blood supply. Narrowing of the arteries that deliver blood to your legs (arteriosclerosis of the extremities) can produce cramp-like pain in your legs and feet while you're exercising. These cramps usually go away soon after you stop exercising.
  • Nerve compression. Compression of nerves in your spine (lumbar stenosis) also can produce cramp-like pain in your legs. The pain usually worsens the longer you walk. Walking in a slightly flexed position — such as you would use when pushing a shopping cart ahead of you — may improve or delay the onset of your symptoms.
  • Mineral depletion. Too little potassium, calcium or magnesium in your diet can contribute to leg cramps. Diuretics — medications often prescribed for high blood pressure — also can deplete these minerals.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 3:49pm

What medications may cause leg cramps?

Drugs have side effects. It’s possible that a prescription you’re taking could be causing your leg cramps. In that case, work closely with your healthcare provider to determine the pros and cons of the medication vs. its side effects. It’s possible that your healthcare provider may be able to put you on a different medication that doesn’t have leg cramps as a side effect. Medicines that have leg cramps as a side effect include:

• Albuterol/Ipratropium (Combivent®)
  • Conjugated Estrogens
  • Clonazepam (Klonopin®).
  • Conjugated estrogens.
  • Diuretics.
  • Gabapentin (Neurontin®).
  • Naproxen (Naprosyn®).
  • Pregabalin (Lyrica®)
  • Statins.
  • Zolpidem (Ambien®).

Others may include: Amoxicillin, bromocriptine (Parlodel), bupropion (Wellbutrin), celecoxib (Celebrex®), cetirizine (Zyrtec), chromium, cinacalcet (Sensipar), ciprofloxacin (Cipro), citalopram (Celexa), donepezil (Aricept), eszopiclone (Lunesta), fluoxetine (Prozac), IV iron sucrose, lansoprazole (Prevacid), levalbuterol, levothyroxine, metformin, niconitis acid, nifedipine, rivastigmine (Exelon), sertraline (Zoloft), telmisartan (Micardis), teriparatide (Forteo®) and teriparatide raloxifene (Evista®).

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 5:43pm
Dehydration does it to me. Older I get the worse it is.
Dale (Stonelick) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale (Stonelick) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:46pm
I put a bar of hand soap (any brand) under the bed sheets - cramps usually ease within 5 minutes.  I keep the soap there for several weeks and it provides me with long-term relief.  I don't know why, but it works for me.
1951 CA - 1944 C - 1949 B - Kubota M6800
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:16pm
Joe I’ve been drinking Gatorade or Powerade zero every night and a banana every morning. I still get one on occasion. They been sore in that area lately and seem to want to happen more often.
Strangely I had one in my right arm this week at work. Made my wrist draw up tight and a huge knot opposite my forearm.
Still fighting severe plantar fasciitis as well
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:54pm

Boy,,I been dreadin the coming of nite time all day as this cramp pain has not gone completely away,,, I read the dosage on the Hylands and says 1-2 tablets to start but if needed you can duplicate initial dosage  every 15 minutes,,,SO,,I gonna be ready,,,,,
  Hey Steve ,,Many thanks for the info on the causes and interactions of other drugs,,I do take Atorvastatin and some other meds for my heart and blood pressure AND Metformin,, I have a list I am taking to my appointment with my PCP, this Thursday and one thing I am gonna ask is that he perscribe something other than Metformin for my diabetes.
 I had some labs run bout 2 mpnths ago and I asked that Dr to run my Potasium which came out good but never thought to ask bout the magnesium levels,,,,,
 I Love to drink water and I drink bout 6-8 32 Oz glasses of ice water every day,,,,maybe too much of that,,,??
  Hang in there ,,Thad,,,we gonna beat this chit,,one way or 'tather,,,,,Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:11pm
Good idea to talk to the doctor and ASK about the side effects of all meds you take... and check the blood workup for low levels of STUFF.  Thumbs Up
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 9:01pm
Joe, a friend of ours used Ginger Ale with quinine that really helped her leg cramps. Guess it must have worked. She lived to 102.    Leon
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:25am

Yes,,I'm really lookin forwards to talkin to my PCP cause I'm gonna make him earn his pay this visit.,,,,, My younger brother had his shoulder operated some time back and his PCP put him on  some Hydrocodone/Ibuprophen 7.5/200 and he gave me some to see if they helped me and they really helped me with the shoulder and lower back pain. Other times I take one of the wife's Gabapentin 600 Mg but them not as effective as the H/I. The only'ist concern I gots is that when the people at the Dialysis center did a prep questionaire on her,, they asked if she had ever taken any Ibuprophen and I answered that she used to take quite a bit of Ibuprophen and they were very concerned and suggested that we talk to her PCP to perscribe something else as Ibuprophen was Not good for people with low kidney function and may of contributed to it. I did ask my older brother, the Dr in Milwaukee and he confirmed,,,, I often wonder  exaCTLY WHO the friggin FDA is working for as I have never heard of that concern,,,WTF,,??
 My kidney function has been good when doing labs but sure would not want to open that can of worms,,but may be the lesser of two evils,,,,??
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:48am
i went the medical doctor route; 100% waste of time.   something you're doing is triggering the cramps; you have to figure it out on your own.   just because it never bothered before isn't an answer;    the cramps pills and drinks were mostly voodoo and worked a few times but then wouldn't work anymore.   I found my problem and fixed it.   now you gotta find your problem.    No;  banana's and extra water doesn't help; sorry!
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:55am

Well, Shoot,,TomNe,,,you Could at least tell us what you found to be your trigger,,,might just be same as some others on here that are still sufferin,,,,,,ClapClapWink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:24pm
Just curious Joe, what section of the leg seems to be your ailment? I've been fighting cramps in my toes and shins Confused, the shins are the WORST  CryCry.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:06pm
Tonic water w/ quinine. If you want to mix in some Beefeater’s that up to you.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Tonic water w/ quinine. If you want to mix in some Beefeater’s that up to you.

LOLWinkLOL
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:43pm
Sounds like dehydration to me. If your pee is dark yellow you are dehydrated. I know the older a guy gets the more he has to pee at night and so we tend to drink less water before bed to help prevent it. Then come the leg cramps. At least that's how it is for me. Everybody is different.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 4:01am

Hey Allis freak,,,my problem might be way too much water and maybe thinning out the other stuff in my body,,,,? I usually drink 6-8 32 Oz cups of ice water every day,,cause I love water and my urine is usually from clear to a light yellow,,,every once in a long while it might get to a medium yellow,,,so,,,,?
 At night, I get up 2 times to pee and during the day,,,prolly every 3-4 hours,,?
 I been really watching what I do while asleep as I tend to want to stretch the toes on my feet AWAY from me and that is what brings on the leg cramps,,I can usually feel one coming on right before it happens and jump outa bed and start walkin around and forcing my toes back when walkin Most times,,I catch one before it gets really bad and painful and here I sit at 3 am,,, just barely missed out on another one,,,CHIT,,,CHIT,,!!!
 The one I had 3-4 nites ago is still some painful and I've had to use the Vibrator,,(massager) It was on the muscle on the inside of my right thigh but usually happen on the thighs of both feet,,,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 5:47am
well I confirmed last night that, eating a bag of tater chips, NOT drinking water, having a pot of coffee WILL give me leg cramps...
Yes, the 'toes away' is BAD for me too....If I get up( that's 'fun') and carefully go down the stairs, walk a bit, get a drink of water, slowly go back up stairs, I'm OK for the rest of the night(cept for her snoring...).
Might replace 1-2 glasses of ice water with diet tonic water( regular has a LOT of sugar !) The body is a teeter totter, gotta find the correct 'balance' of water and electrolytes. While clear pee means you're NOT dehydrated, that much water 'flushed' out the electrolytes and oopsy, cramps come back !

tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:52am
my trigger was aspartane in diet soda; that sure doesn't mean that will be your trigger.

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 8:30am
hmm,now I gotta read the Diet Tonic water label....sigh...

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 8:45am
Joe, that IS a lot of WATER every day... YOu might be FLUSHING out your system too much.. Make sure the doctor knows that.. You might want to drop to 2 big glasses a day for 3-4 days and see if things change.. Good HOME TEST....... Maybe "long term"  substitute with a water supplement to retain minerals, if you can prove the "too much water" theory.
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 9:47am
Try magnesium and potassium for cramps.  That helps me plus drinking more water.  Aspertane is a trigger for many allergy problems in many people. 

Edited by weiner - 15 Oct 2020 at 9:51am
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:02am
When back in high school and i got them I started doing calf stretching every night about 40 reps of rise op on toes (ball of foot) and then rock back onto heels and lift toes - controlled them most nights and sure built up calf mussels for skating hockey .
 Heard that bar of soap thing works for many 
Yes it seems IBP is on the hit list of bad drugs to use for any prolonged time - I was taking 2400 units a day for shoulder pain and then went to glucosamine HCL and it worked better than the IBP 800 x 3 times a day, which I quit taking   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic