This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swallow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd17toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swallow
    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 6:23pm

A single swallow thinks my open porch is his home.  Any ideas to get rid of it short of killing it?  Tried different methods to stop it from roosting  on the porch.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 6:40pm
i told a gal that once....ooooops.....oh....wait....wrong forum....you'll need to trap it and take it to the neighbors and turn it loose.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 6:45pm
Block off all the spaces that are open for nesting.  i had to do that on my porch.

Some one also mentioned getting a rubber toy snake and placing it the area. 
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:04pm
We hung a black silhouette of a small hank flying on the deck once. Seemed to work.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:38pm
I stretched a 4 x 6 tarp between a couple rafters... Wind blows and it wobbles around.. Seems to keep the birds out.. They dont like anything that MOVES.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:26pm
got a cat???
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:50pm
A wren built a nest behind the front bumper of my F250 so I guess the truck is now out of service for a few weeks or more. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:12pm
Just park the manure spreader on the porch and everybody will be happy.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 8:59am
LOL Shameless , i was thinking about that other forum too - Id just let them do there business- those birds are serious of where they want to nest- then when the little ones are gone clean it up - I started a 190 the other day - it had a gap in the rain cap and pipe , sounded funny and out shot 2 eggs and a hell of a bird nest , those little wrens work hard, just like the swallows !

Edited by DougG - 19 Jun 2021 at 8:59am
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 9:39am
I have trouble with some sort of bird who likes to build nest between the exhaust and the block.  That is not so bad but the darn bird uses hedge thorns.

fleeter allis fan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleeter allis fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 10:22pm
It would be a shame to drive it away if you can "share" your porch for a while. You don't specify what kind of swallow it is, but there does not seem to be as many in my area as there where at one time. We see tree swallows and barn swallows at our place and when I am out mowing, they are great fun to watch swooping and diving about as they catch insects. 
Barn swallows seem to be in particular decline because they used to build nests under the eves of old barns and a lot of them are no longer standing. Apparently, a lot of bird species including swallows are getting pushed out by house sparrows and starlings which are quite aggressive for food and nesting sites and are considered non-native in North America.
I'm a man...and I can change...if I have to... I guess.
'44 B, '46 WF, '49 G, 810GT, 916H, 620
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 11:44pm
Swallows and Martins are incredible aviators, and do an excellent job of keeping all sorts of flying insects under control.

They aren't unintelligent, but they ARE concerned for their young.  You can 'condition' them to restrain from aggression if you do several things:

1) take off your hat and glasses, so they can see your face and eyes
2) don't look at their nests, and don't stare at them
3) Go about your business in a predictable fashion
4) If it's a porch, sit in your chair on regular intervals, talk to them, and with your friends, and have your friends follow 1,2 and 3 above.

It may take some time, but keep in mind- swallows and martins are migratory, they fly thousands of miles each fall, and back each spring, and while small, they have impressive memories, and pass on to their young what they know of those around their annual nesting areas.  In short... once they've gotten to KNOW you, they'll REMEMBER you.

My dad has seven purple martin houses on his riverfront, and his boat, which we park on his dock on regular occasions.  My wife, kids, and their friends come down to the dock to load and unload our stuff.  The purple martins will fly by just to see what we're doing, and they may talk a little, but they won't threaten us (dive and cheep-cheep), and amazingly... they won't poop on the boat... but they know us well, and as long as you don't stare at them, they'll be just fine.  When we sit on the boat, at the dock, and eat dinner, they zip over the water, come up over the boat, and snap up all the bugs, keeping it pest-free while we're there.  Amazing creatures they are.

I've got purple martins and swallows here at the farm, and same situation.  Stay cool, they'll relax quite a bit.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 10:50am
There is a little grove of what have called Chinese Elm trees in my yard. In the 60's had some green bugs the same size as Lady Bugs that showed up in spring just after the trees got leafed out. Over the years the green flying leaf eating critters got so they would take all the leaves off the Elms. Got to where they did not provide any shade until fall.

In the 1980's started to have Swallows flying around eating green leaf eaters. After some years the eves of the house where covered with Swallow nests. Not many more years and no more green leaf eaters. After no bug my mother got tired of Swallows and the mess they left behind so she made war on there nests. By 2003 when took up residence no more swarms of Swallows and thankfully the leaf eats have not returned ether.

So I have a appreciation for the good Swallows can do. 
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 11:43am
Lightning will never strike the building where they build their nests!! LOL! Thats what I heard all my life!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

Lightning will never strike the building where they build their nests!! LOL! Thats what I heard all my life!
That's the same think I have always been told.
acd17toy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd17toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 6:35pm

Have not seen the barn swallow for several days. Every time it roosted  on the  porch
  I would chase it out of it's roosting place.  Last time I saw it on the porch it was dark and raining scared it out into the night and rain, have not seen it since.

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:26pm
One year they put a nest in our front entry way. Cutest thing when there were 3 pairs of eyes looking over the top of the nest at us. Only happened one year. Then a robin nest and this year the sparrows have tried and tried.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by acd17toy acd17toy wrote:

Have not seen the barn swallow for several days. Every time it roosted  on the  porch
  I would chase it out of it's roosting place.  Last time I saw it on the porch it was dark and raining scared it out into the night and rain, have not seen it since.

You just chased away your best neighborCry
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 9:32pm
IMO, there's a LOT worse things to be dealt with than a barn swallow mess, try dealing with bat on your stored implements Ouch Clap !!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 4:03am
Have MO bats and what we call mud swallows here, leave them both be as they eat more bugs that could be a nuisance.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 7:54am
I've put up a Purple Martin house hoping some would move in. So far a pair of Blue Birds are the only ones using it.  
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 9:27am
I've got swallow nesting boxes on the pasture fence posts and around the farmyard on poles and buildings.  Fun to watch them feeding.  Looks like a squadron of mini Spitfires with their aerobatic maneuvers.  Never see a mosquito around the farmyard and very few other flying bugs.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 10:06am
There's an old ear corn crib on our home place that is home to some barn swallows.  Seems like at least two or three come and swoop around when I'm out mowing the grass there.  I enjoy seeing them flying so fast and gracefully eating their bugs.
The old cuppola on top of the crib is home to a turkey vulture too.  I've seen him flying around on occasion also.  Big, ugly bird...
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

I've put up a Purple Martin house hoping some would move in. So far a pair of Blue Birds are the only ones using it.  

To get purple martins to take residence, put the martin house up at least 12ft or more, out in open area, far from trees and buildings.  You'll have best luck if there's a water feature (a pond or large expanse of creek) with clean water, that they can fly in over, and dip their bills for a drink while flying.

Don't use insecticides-  Martins eat bugs, spraying insecticides not only kills off their food supply, it can affect birds that eat insects that DIDN'T die of the treatment.

In central Michigan. Make sure your martin house is in place and ready BEFORE April 1.  The 'scouts' will appear by the 15th, and they will choose their domicile immediately.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic