This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

suppose to be a thermostat?(WD45)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deereequipment1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: suppose to be a thermostat?(WD45)
    Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 3:55pm
OK, new problem, so new post.
have some small issues, and many folks said to make sure it's getting up to operating temperature.
I can't get it to warm up, so I started checking the thermostat.
Problem is, this WD45 has no thermostat.
The "water manifold" that the upper radiator hose goes to, has no thermostat, or thermostat housing.
I looked online and found a picture of a thermostat housing, so I looked all over, and nope, don't have one.
I looked at my WD (parts tractor), and it's water manifold has a thermostat housing built into it.

Should I replace the one with a thermostat?
Is there a reason some tractors "don't" have a thermostat?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Dave (Mid-MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (Mid-MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 4:07pm
The WD wasn't equipped with a thermostat. Adjustable shutters in front of the radiator were used to control airflow through the radiator, controlling engine temperature. The WD45 used a thermostat instead of the shutters. Check your engine serial numbers. Something doesn't sound original. dave
deereequipment1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deereequipment1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 4:10pm
neither of my tractors, the WD or the WD45 have shutters.
I know the WD has it's original water manifold, which has the thermostat built into it.
My new WD45, not sure about it's history.

Before I put this thermostat on my WD45, I just want to know if anyone else has one without a thermostat, just to make sure.

thanks.

Edited by deereequipment1 - 02 Apr 2011 at 4:11pm
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 4:58pm
Sounds like the water manifold for an early WC to me.  WD45 has a single port thermostat housing that bolts to the front "hole" where your exisiting manifold is.  The back "hole" should be covered by a plate.  I know I have a t-stat housing laying around.  Would have to look for the back cover.
AaronSEIA
dannyraddatz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 5:06pm
I have a picture of my thermostat housing, I run a 180 thermostat in mine.
Danny Raddatz
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 6:36pm
It might be simpler to acquire a thermostat for an N series Ford that slips inside the upper radiator hose, but it need to be the right size hose and straight from the engine longer than the thermostat.

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deereequipment1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 7:19pm
Here is the manifold on my WD45, that has no thermostat housing.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deereequipment1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 7:22pm
here is the manifold off of my WD, that I might put on the WD45. This is different than the small Thermostat manifold pictured by dannyraddatz. This covers both ports in the head. Dannyraddatz....what is covering your back port?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deereequipment1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 7:24pm
sorry about the photos being so large.
Both manifolds are long, and have 4 bolts, 1 on each side of the 2 ports.
Dannyraddtz's looks like that only covers 1 port.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deereequipment1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 7:26pm
Thank you for the picture Danny.
This is exactly what I needed to see.
I saw a housing like yours, online under a parts listing.
neither are like what I have on either of my tractors.
Is your tractor a WD, or WD45?

I'm still trying to figure out "WHY" my tractor wouldn't have one, and if it is a mistake (should it have one). the service manuals say NOTHING about thermostat.

thanks again for your help!
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 7:52pm

That looks like some kind of aftermarket manifold that you have there.  The correct one is shown in the pictures.  Like I said before, the back port is covered with a plate.  You can go to www.agcopartsbook.com, log in as a guest and view the agco parts books.

AaronSEIA
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deereequipment1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 9:03pm
Thanks Aaron.
I didn't understand how the smaller thermostat housing went on, and didn't understand what you meant by small plate.
I got it now.
Thanks, and thanks for the tip on Agco parts books.
That ought to help tremendously!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic