This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Duty Speedometer ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Duty Speedometer ??
    Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:20pm
I was driving to work this morning and looked down at the dash and NO MPH reading was shown OuchCry !! All other gauges were functioning INCLUDING the TACH Smile
Sponsored Links

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:27pm
Hummmmm, the speedometer is broken?
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

I was driving to work this morning and looked down at the dash and NO MPH reading was shown OuchCry !! All other gauges were functioning INCLUDING the TACH Smile

Did it stay that way? Or was it temporary? Did it return to function, after it warmed up later in the day?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:36pm
dam ferds
The old '92 F250 /460 starting to have issues where the speedo don't show nothing and the truck will shift only by slamming into gear. Jiggle and push in the reset, then the speedometer wakes up and works, as well as the transmission starts working correctly again.  Stupid derfs.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Did it stay that way? Or was it temporary? Did it return to function, after it warmed up later in the day?
It started functioning again after 11 miles and has worked "so far" on the trip home (21 miles) Embarrassed
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

dam ferds
The old '92 F250 /460 starting to have issues where the speedo don't show nothing and the truck will shift only by slamming into gear. Jiggle and push in the reset, then the speedometer wakes up and works, as well as the transmission starts working correctly again.  Stupid derfs.
Luckily, no tranny issues ClapClap !! Thanks for the replyWink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:56pm
On a side-note, where's the back-up light switch located ? Please tell me it's not on the bowels of the steering column on an automatic Unhappy. Thanks
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:11pm
the speedos on FORDS built in the 2005 range were not mechanical cable... They have a VSS ( vehicle speed sensor) on the transmission tail shaft ... If the sensor "speed pickup" has crud on the face, or spot of ICE due to freezeing, etc.. then it will not read.. After the "crud" washes off, the speed comes back.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:14pm
Blue oval fluid sprayed on the speedo cables and wiring will fix it!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:16pm
Thanks Steve, it happened to be the coldest temps this morning that our region has seen "so far" this season. Would the lack of speedo reading effect the engine computer at the same time ?  The engine did some strange things around the same time also Ouch . 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:17pm
[QUOTE=DiyDave]Blue oval fluid sprayed on the speedo cables and wiring will fix it!Wink[/QUOTE
You just keep munching on your gummies ClapClapWinkWink !!!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:35pm
It sure is nice having old-fashioned vehicles that don't have computers controlling every little thing. Thumbs Up It makes then super easy to diagnose and fix as well Smile But then there are those that go to the dealer to get a light bulb replaced Wacko
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

It sure is nice having old-fashioned vehicles that don't have computers controlling every little thing. Thumbs Up It makes then super easy to diagnose and fix as well Smile But then there are those that go to the dealer to get a light bulb replaced Wacko
Damn dude, I've not had to go to the dealer "YET" for a headlight change (I assume that's what you meant) but I've heard HORROR stories from 2 different independents getting into "bulb changes" Ouch , NOT pretty for the vehicle owner Cry !!

Edited by FREEDGUY - 21 Jan 2022 at 6:40pm
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:42pm
no: I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, just giving that as one reason someone would buy a new vehicle. I myself won't buy anything controlled by a computer.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:47pm
Your going to have to accept the fact that truck doesn't like you.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:59pm
NOW THATS FUNNY !!

Happy Laughing Sticker - Happy Laughing Lol Stickers
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

NOW THATS FUNNY !!

Happy Laughing Sticker - Happy Laughing Lol Stickers
Sadly, I came from Dodges previous to this buggy BUT, I will admit that other than the IDIOTIC plugs/coil pack setup and fuel economy, it has been cheaper/mile for repairs Confused
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 6:30am
I remember my ole 99 F 250 did that.  As Steve mentioned it was a bad speed sensor.  As I foggily recall this one was located ON the differential and sorta resembled a cam POSITION SENSOR AND MOUNTED TO THE DIFFY IN THE SAME MANNER.

My other sensor problem is my left little finner is numb ans I never know when it hits that caps lock key.  Confused

Edited by Dave H - 22 Jan 2022 at 6:31am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 7:11am
Is it a digital display or a needle? In this cold, sometimes needles simply stick. I’ve had one or two do that, not your specific vehicle.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Is it a digital display or a needle? In this cold, sometimes needles simply stick. I’ve had one or two do that, not your specific vehicle.
It's a needle display but have been informed that this animals speedo is "electronically" driven Smile
Thanks for the reply though Big smile

Edited by FREEDGUY - 22 Jan 2022 at 7:10pm
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 8:16pm
why don't we ask google where that speed sensor is at and change it out?
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

why don't we ask google where that speed sensor is at and change it out?
How would this help the members with a similar question if I did that??  You "just google it" guys are a real detriment to this site CryCry !!  I thought this was a place to ask for "hands-on " questions to be asked for "REAL WORLD" questions ConfusedOuchWink !!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 8:30pm
Beer
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 5:55am
Ask your wife, she would probably know where it was.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 6:25am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

I myself won't buy anything controlled by a computer.

How did you post this? I’m not going back 50 years for a daily driver. My ‘78 F250 has an ignition control module on the inner fender.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 7:39am
I guess I need to clarify that I won't buy computer controlled "Vehicles". A "Car" is nothing more than a conveyance to get you from one place to another in a climate controlled zone and a "Truck" is for hauling things. All the latest gimmicks, fads, and fancy crap are why todays prices for vehicles are outrageous. No one NEEDS 90% or more of the stuff that has been put on vehicles nowadays, it's just advertising has brainwashed people into thinking, they have to have it.  My car needs no computer to make everything that it has work, it has knobs and levers to control things, same goes for my P/U and big trucks.  Good thing to, last fall while returning from a tractor pull a relay in the big truck fried  and it lost electrical power. after drifting off the road in a safe place, I was able to turn the screw on top of the injection pump to Manual, start it with a screwdriver and continue home.  No way could that have been done with a computer controlled vehicle, I would have ended up with a huge tow bill instead of just needing a $20 relay. 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:20am

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

It's a needle display but have been informed that this animals speedo is "electronically" driven Smile
Thanks for the reply though Big smile

Yep, but irrelevant. The needle still has to rotate about that pivot point. I have a tractor that does this in the cold.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 9:55am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Ask your wife, she would probably know where it was.
LOLLMAO
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 11:12am
If it's what I remember what you have it's probably in the trans tail shaft.
Probably an instrument cluster problem. Not uncommon.
Throw a speed sensor at it and see what happens.
Probably take 10 minutes depending on how big your belly is.
10mm bolt head. 
Correct me if I'm wrong, I may be.
I'm always up for being wrong.

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 6:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic