This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange number on my 1940 B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange number on my 1940 B
    Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:23am

After sandblasting my 1940 AC-B transmission case yesterday (prior to rebuilding), I discovered an extra series of numbers stamped into the case just aft of the gearshift pattern.   The number “61151A” was stamped underneath the orange paint and was inconspicuous until the paint was removed.  Does anyone recognize this number or want to venture a guess as to its significance?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Edited by outlook6 - 15 Oct 2010 at 10:27am
Sponsored Links

Chris(WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris(WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 1:17pm
I would venture two guesses. Either it is a replacement transmission OR the casting number that was on the transmission was wrong and this is the correctiion instead of scrapping the casting.

Washingtonian by choice, Wisconsin Farmboy by the grace of God!
Doug northern IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug northern IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 6:29pm
my guess is a casting number
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 8:48pm
Somebody prepared the spot for the stamping by grinding it smooth. I have a low number C case with some numbers stamped in the same place. 41605B is what I can make out in poor light. Some of the other early B/C cases I have may be stamped also. Hard to tell under paint.
    I believe the official casting number is the embosed 3284 - located on the left side above the oil level indicator. The casting date tag impression is also on the left side. This embosed casting number appears on all the B/C 3 speeds I have to look at.
    What the stamped numbers below the shift pattern mean is a good question. I can't even venture a guess.  Good luck finding an answer Jim.
     I will venture this. It could be a serial number for the tranny
outlook6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlook6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 9:54pm
Ken,
I agree with you about the casting number and the casting date tag impression.  And the extra number may well be a xmission serial number, although my two '39 cases don't have these stamped numbers.  Oh well!  Just another conundrum.
Thanks once again and regards,
Jim
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 11:45pm
Another possibility:

If the tractor was owned by a company, the state, township, government, large operation, etc. etc. etc. it could have been an equipment identifier number. Basically a serial number for the companies personal records. I have heard of a couple IB's stamped this same way for this reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic