This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Straight Stick plus Gleaner power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

Chris...I'm a little late catching up, but you mentioned the Jubilee with the hydraulic live PTO clutch...I know what you're talking about, but have never seen one, except in pics. It is rare, like you said. Is that on your Jubilee? 
My great-grandpa had a Jubilee with that attachment, but the tractor was long gone before I was born, unfortunately. 

Creston,
Yes this little Ford Jubilee had this feature added sometime in its life. I do not have the mfg name of the clutch unit. I have talked to several others that have or have seen these. It is a hydraulic clutch that when the handle is pulled back stops the froward motion of the tractor but allows the PTO cot continue running. Push the handle forward and the tractor goes forward. Makes a great unit for running the 951 Ford brush hog. Or any live PTO requirements like baling a large wind row of hay! The clutch being hydraulic feels nothing like a WD series tractor. It is a little sluggish and soft feeling, but it works well. I have been told this can be a $1500 or up, feature on these tractors.
There is a valve that is manually rotated near your left heal that turns this unit on or off. Which is what happened the other day when a operator bumped the valve and it acted like it had no clutch. It was stuck in a non function position. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Oct 2019 at 3:03pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 3:06pm
Nice! I've seen the advertisement Ford put out for it (factory option on Jubilee/NAA) and they start and stop the tractor with their finger tips. 
I believe it could easily be worth that much. You don't find many of them around. 

If the link works, it should start the video at 20:05, and shows it used. You may have seen this production by Ford, but it's still a good film I think. 
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 7:10pm
Creston,
 Thanks for posting the Ford link. I am still learning. It was my understanding that this was not a Ford option. But I could be wrong too? One thing is that in the film, the handle is bent at a 90 to the vertical portion. Mine is not bent, pretty much vertical to the top. Now this feature could be a safety issue if you went to get off and caught your coat on the handle the tractor could move and run over you!

Back on the electrical s for the WD:
I buttoned it up tonight, just need new bulbs for the headlights. All looks good, even the "PO/rust" look fits in pretty good. Its charging at low rpm and seems like its going to be OK with out the exciter wire. Didnt check with meter yet. The Denso fits the WD like a glove!
The dash complete:

Running, lights on.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Oct 2019 at 7:19pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 8:35pm
Folks,
 I had taken this picture of two of the tractors in our Allis group! Can you tell which is the Firestone and which is the look alike?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:16am
Folks,
Hey the rain stopped!
 I need to get some things done to prepare for winter weather. 
But instead I will probably keep playing with the old WD. I want to do some weight reduction in the area of the snap coupler. Also to tighten up the entire hitch. Not sure what others have done? I do see a WC pulling tractor that has a bent flat bar that comes up into the same area. Doesnt looks stock, as I assume the WC had a pin hitch like a early WD? Anyway, it will probably be some type of custom drawbar when done. Will try to take some pictures along the way. After that alteration I hope to be getting close to making 3500 lb weight with my butt in the seat. Have been debating about removing the hand clutch but I am so sued to them, it would be like missing a arm! Going to keep  the 2 plate clutch it if possible. 
Is there any way short of pulling the enge to lube the pilot bearing? I dont think so but thougth I would get others opinions? I get a grinding dry noise when letting out the foot clutch, much louder under load. 

Also need to test on the new Denso alternator some more! And get the head lights working.

Will think about taking the carb off and checking it out too in the future. Or at least makinf sure the jets are functioning.

Current muffler is toast. Debating the tubular pilling style or just put on a std one.  I had a good one around here and may have tossed it! Dang Reminder to me, should not through good stuff away!

Hope things are good in Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

Rhoadesy_65 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 8:36am
If you are making a pulling tractor might as well put a shiny chrome straight pipe on, I hear that it'll add 50 horsepower instantly. 
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Rhoadesy_65 Rhoadesy_65 wrote:

If you are making a pulling tractor might as well put a shiny chrome straight pipe on, I hear that it'll add 50 horsepower instantly. 

Rhoadesy 65,
 I see a lot of those 100 HP plus tractors out there with the pipes! Thanks for the tip. Heck If I would have known that, I would have put one on some of my other tractors too!Wink Someone mentioned they had to put a baffle in their straight pipe?
Thanks for checking on me.

I did look at the lights again this morning. Did some electrical testing as the 12 volt bulbs looked ok. Yep the grounds needed shined up. I made some cork gaskets for between the glass and the reflector. Had not tried this before but it worked better than the OEM type seal gaskets! Way easier, as the cork gasket does not move around like the rubber ones.
one of the rings holding the lens in place is just about rusted through. Perfect!
I am actually finding some enjoyment searching out or using the rusty bolts and components!  

Wiring cleaned/ freshened up a bit:

I believe the old WD (parts tractor) has a pin hitch, but no drawbar. Not sure its worth swapping them?  Except by swaping them I could keep this snap coupler together as a unit. Which makes sense to store it in the vast warehouse for decades. And I can take the large draft spring and it components out of the parts tractor and set them aside. Just need the weldment to attach a custom drawbar to, and to pull from. Now to figure out how to get it up in the air to remove it! Humm! Sounds like a plan.

Hope you folks are using this thread to get you to nod off quicker at night or for a mid day nap!Smile 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 Oct 2019 at 9:16pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:38pm
Folks, 
Played hooky, and yes worked on the old WD most of the day again.
The hitch was next on the list. Didnt complete it but made a good run at it! 

The donor WD released the snap coupler bracket after I jacked it up off the ground. 
This picture is a little rough like the rest of my life: Yea not pretty under there!

The pulling WD with the drawbar in the approximate new position.

Removed the SC from the WD puller. Nice to keep this as a unit too:

The donor hitch got stripped and some lighting holes added. This thing gave me big ones for several hours. The cross pin was froze in the yoke portion. I had to melt the forging or what every that is to get to the pin and torch it off on both sides. This rivaled taking out WD brake pins! Glad I was working on parts that were not ever going back on a tractor.

What I finally ended up with for a hitch bracket. I believe I removed 15 lbs or maybe more. Never found the old bathroom scales to check some of the weights.

Revised bracket installed on the WD-Z:

Also decided to install a old mans step to get in the seat a little easier. A piece that did not get thrown away in the junk: Burned a hole for the bolt. Looks like it will work like factory!

Next will be to make a 1/2 inch plate to wrap around the 1" cross pin in the new hitch and bolt to the draw bar.I think this is going to work Ok. Rasing the hitch point a little seems like the right move to make. The SC just seems a little low. Sorry AC engineers!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Oct 2019 at 7:54am
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 8:56pm
The WC and WD hitches are actually pretty different. There weren't many quick-change fully mounted attachments (no hydraulics on a WC) although it might have had to come off for a corn picker installation or something else that was a job to mount. Not much need for quickly pulling it off like there was once the WD came out and you had pin hitch fully mounted plows... Although now I'm remembering the very early WD pickup plow that bolted to the drawbar, but I digress. Here's the best set of pics I can find online of a WC hitch from Tom's nice website:

1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 9:15pm
wjohn,
Thanks! Tom did such a nice job of documenting his builds! I give you a crappy picture under a crusty old WD in the weeds! Yes the hitches are quite different. Mine is now a custom hitch cross between the WD45 SC and the WD pin hitch. I want it solid not flopping around like the SC. And I think pointed slightly upward slant towards the front pedestal looks like a good angle for the hitch. Time will tell. Hope I didn't take too much out with the lightening holes?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 11:49am
Folks,
 Well the saga continues: Thanks for checking on me. 
I have seen some pulling tractors that dont resemble the original tractor much when done. My goal is to not wash this WD and have it look fairly close to a stock tractor from the grandstands. 
I completed the draw bar front attachment out of scraps laying in the garage and the vast warehouse.
The loop around the pin is a coulter support off a Allis plow. I added a 1/4 inch strap over the end for strength. The 1 inch wide thin metal part behind the pin is just spacer to keep the front of the draw bar centered in the hitch.

Bolted the loop to the drawbar in two places.

Installed draw bar:

The drawbar is almost level, I thought it would be up a little more in the front.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Oct 2019 at 7:52am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 11:47am
Folks,
 I need a little electrical help. The Denso alternator came as it was supposed to be a 1 wire and not need a exicter wire. Well the supplier did not know much more than me and at low rpms it does not charge hardly at all. At higher rpms its doing good at 14.6 volts. I want to figure out which terminal is the right one for the exciter wire. There are two spade posts 90 degrees to one another. I could make the wire and try each one But I did not want to damage the electrical system by plugging in to the wrong terminal.

Tractor was not starting well. Had NAPA load test the Battree and it was putting out about 1/3 of the CCA's. So a new Battree came home too.

this was at idle:

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Tried googling it several times, but there are too many variations. I have put the exciter wire on other GM type alternators. I know how to put the diode in the exciter line to prevent feed back.
I am not a electrical guy!
Hope things are good.
Regards,
 Chris
MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 3:02pm

I don’t know how I missed this but this is good stuff. I could be way wrong but it looks like you need to go from IG to #2.... however it’s very possible this may drain the battery over a short time too....that said you may need a batt shut off if you haven’t already got one.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 3:16pm
MD,
 Thanks! That shows the "light" in the system, which I am not going to use, but I put a diode in the line. 
I will try to hook up to the terminal #1 post on the alternator. Whats the worst that could happen!:)

Not sure what the "Switched Live" means on the wire connected to #2 terminal?? 

I know on the GM type alternators the third wire would be a short one and go right on the same #3 terminal. Maybe that whats its trying to say?? 

Not sure whats happening inside that fusebox??:) 

If you hear a big boom up north you will know what happened!
Regards,
 Chris 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 3:50pm
Yessir and light should work too.Switched live from the ignition which you’d probably need a batt shut off to keep from draining the battery...I’m thinking.Type 1 top left.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 6:15pm
MD,
Yes the type of the terminals on the Denso is the one in the upper left. I found a plug on line that looks like the right one and it has a larger red and smaller yellow wire coming out of it. 
On a GM type alternator the yellow wire would be for the exciter wire and the red wire would go right on the Battery "B" post of the alternator.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 8:51am
Folks,
Info on here, the internet and talked to my local expert on the Denso alternators and he said the exciter wire going from the ignition switch to the IG terminal on the Alternator may or may not help to excite the alt at low RPM. I will try it. If it doesn't work I will just live with increasing rpm to get it to charge. The "L" terminal for a light doesn't not need to be used in this application.
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 10:10am
Update for sure.I’m thinking it will work but like I said I’m thinking it’ll drain the battery so keep an eye on it and you may need to add a batt shut off if you haven’t already.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 7:26pm
Folks,
 Well I believe I put the diode in the right way and added the wire from the IG terminal to the ACC. When I fired the WD tractor up, it did not make a difference in the charge rate till I increased the rpm. So we will live with it. Also checked some of the other tractors and they are doing almost the same thing low charge rate at lower rpm too! Guess I thought they were charging more sooner??

Some photos from this nice fall day:

Cooper on the 45:

Cooper on the WD, we had to stop and pick up his hat that blew off during the tractor ride:

Off color tractor. This is Cheryl on her grandmothers Massey Hydro 8 hp, with our great grandson in the cart:

Line up of WD series tractors:

I am working on fabricating a front weight bracket for my small weights. They are 15 lbs each and slide on a square 1-1/2 inch tube. Thinking of hanging this off the front two bolts of the cover plate on the pedestal. Have to do some research on the rules as to how far out the weights can extend? I was only going out about a foot beyond the front end. Want it to be easy to remove also.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 Oct 2019 at 7:29pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 5:04am
Well at least no smoke is always a good😬
Very nice pics also...now if we can just get a CA in these group shots.

Edited by MDWilliams338 - 22 Oct 2019 at 5:06am

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 6:42am
Enjoyed the pictures ! Thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 7:48am
MD, AC, Folks,
 Your welcome on the pictures! Just my way of spreading the orange thing around too! 

Yes not letting the smoke out of the wires is a good thing! I took my time for a change and did some research and with MD's help, I didnt burn anything up! 

That CA "Willow" is still under the tree a couple miles from me! Poor old girl. Those are the ones that need attention. It has not had any love for years! If the owner gave it to me the cost would be to much! He should pay me to take it? My guess if he gave me $2500, I might just barely break even, bringing it back to working order!Smile It could be a unit that got into the 2500 lb weight class (maybe)?? Havent done much research on that yet. Dang it MD! Why did you have to bring that old CA up! :) Now there is another project that will "loom up" in front of me, on a cold snowy day!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Oct 2019 at 7:58am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 8:20am
😂😂😂 Just trying to help the cause my friend.

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 9:40am
I'm still hoping you will re-do the D 17 . 🤔 Thanks
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 10:16am
Me too......let me see can I help out with that too,a little nudge😉

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 10:33am
Very nice , Michael . Thanks
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

Very nice , Michael . Thanks

Thankya sir....it was job but maybe this will be enough to give him a little push.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 5:03pm
Yea I need a nudge once in a while!

MD that D17 looks fantastic! I get the hint loud and clear. My 17 would be a good candidate for a refurb clean and paint too. That would allow it to look good for many years! 

I need to start to seriously work on a shop! I have the design. A "T" shaped shop and storage area. Just need to get he ambition and the funds!

I got the results from the last pull and found that my WD45 was the tractor that won first in the 4000 lb class not the WD-Z, it got 3rd.

Distance numbers show that the WD-Z is almost the same as my neighbors WD. 
I placed 6th in the 3500, 4th in the 3750, and 3rd in the 4000 lb classes with the WD-Z.

There is a Farmall M that is very strong and won first in 5000, 5500, 6,000 and 6500 classes by 10 plus feet each time. May be tuned up a little as it never even breaks a sweat!:)

Front weight set up for the WD-Z:

old man step:

Thanks for checking in on me! 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Oct 2019 at 8:32pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 7:25pm
That looks good and I like the step for sure. How much weight are you hanging on the front?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 8:28pm
MD,
 Thanks! I can put 150 lbs on the front. I dont have a clue what I really need. I know on a sticky power track the front end may get a little light, might try 4 weights or 60 lbs? out front. I made it to add the extras. 
I want to redesign my rear weight brackets to get the weight just in back of the axle. At least that's the plan. Also will start looking for suitcase weights lighter than these 100 lb green ones!Smile I'm getting to old for that much lifting! The old back starts to groan.

Worked on my maple syrup evaporator refurbishment this afternoon. More design and fab work, using steel and stainless steel. cutting, grinding, fitting, and welding. 

Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic