This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve@B&B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve@B&B
    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 7:32am
I’m getting ready to rebuild an old Ford Motorcraft 4100 4 barrel. I want to polish the top and body and turn the steel parts gold. How do I get the gold color? Looking for any advice. Pointers on polishing are also needed.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 7:50am
one process is called 'anodizing', similar to chrome plating, though a 1 step process.
The BIG thing to remember... do ALL pieces at the same time using ONE 'gold' solution. Did 100s of pieces when younger...
If you don't want to do it yourself, call up motorcycle shops.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 8:00am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

one process is called 'anodizing', similar to chrome plating, though a 1 step process.
The BIG thing to remember... do ALL pieces at the same time using ONE 'gold' solution. Did 100s of pieces when younger...
If you don't want to do it yourself, call up motorcycle shops.....

I would really like to learn anodizing.
Would a home grown job hold up?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:20am

Hey Thad,,,I seen some carbs that were anodized and they do look great but have no idea what the process takes,,,What I have been studyin and lookin ahead on is Powder coating.  The finished product looks great,,, Kinda work intensive to get the piece ready and the initial expenditure ain't too bad any more. Harbor Freight now carries a powder Coating Kit for bout $100 that the reviews are pretty good. Bout a month ago, I went to a back yard sale where the people had replaced their Built-in electric stove for a gas model and I bought theirs for $50 and was the biggest oven size made,,,big enough to fit a 15" wheel,,and oven works like a charm too. The thing I like about the Powder Coating is that the "paint" flows out to a mirror smooth look when it is baked. One of the first jobs I want to try are the brake drums on Ole Red, to get rid of that rough cast look to them,,,,,Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:30am
home done anodizing is easy and 'tough'.. far better than krappy powder coating.
saw a guy use a 'smoker' for powder coating,cheaper to run and taller than an oven.
I'll lay odds powder coat won't be good on brake drums if you have to stop a lot,fast....
I'd use VHT...ceramic based, will look purdy if done right,

Edited by jaybmiller - 01 Dec 2019 at 8:31am

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 1:50pm
I want to polish the top on this Ford 4100 and leave the base natural then I’d like to anodize the choke butterfly and throttle linkage.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 4:01pm

is one method, I've not tried , though if 'he' donates any more ICE here...sigh 1" already...
Jay

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 4:13pm
Eastman's had a Gold Carburetor paint that when applied correctly, looked and worked great. I never used it, but my nephew has with great results on some of his Camaro and Nova resto's.  The Gold makes the Carb look brand new.

As far as polishing, that depends greatly on the material the Carburetor is made of.  Sometimes real fine steel wool works great, but again, it depends on the material used to make the Carb.

Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 7:04pm
I bought the gun from Eastwood about 10 years ago to play with. I have a PowerKing 2418 that became the test case for it. Using Chevy Orange, mirrored black, and chrome powders I have had fun with it. I have a dedicated oven in the shop for it, must have a place where you can have an oven going for 3-5 hours at 400+ degrees if you expect the finish to have any hardness and great gloss. It isn't as hard as the coating you'd get from a big coating company, but for little stuff it's great. I don't think it's what you want on the carb, doesn't retain gloss and becomes a bit tacky with gas and industrial cleaners (like carb cleaner)

Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

home done anodizing is easy and 'tough'.. far better than krappy powder coating.
saw a guy use a 'smoker' for powder coating,cheaper to run and taller than an oven.
I'll lay odds powder coat won't be good on brake drums if you have to stop a lot,fast....
I'd use VHT...ceramic based, will look purdy if done right,

hEY,,jAY,,ease up a little will you,??,,,,"KRAPPY POWDER COATING",,??  You may have not had good luck with it but no need to shoot it full of holes for others,,,!!

Besides,,JoeM (GA) has gotten great results with it as evidenced by his pics on here,,,

Edited by desertjoe - 01 Dec 2019 at 8:15pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 4:33am
I think I’m gonna give that Eastwood stuff a try. I haven’t pulled that carb apart yet. I need to get on it so I can start polishing.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 5:53am
Having an electric oven in the shop is a good thing.
I used a lot of Krinkle coat paint when I restored an old Sportster. It really stunk up the kitchen.
I won’t be doing that in Jenn’s kitchen.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 6:14am
Hay DJ...  well ok BUT I've yet to see ANY trailer that wasn't ruined with powercoat 'paint' on it. It's fine for static, indoor, 'protected' pieces...but my stuff lives in the real world where it gets used, banged and stoned and ugh...salted...

I'm thinkin that there must be 2 kinds of PC... 'industrial' for say off road vehicles and 'commercial' for trailers and lawn furniture ??

what does irk me ,is that  good old enamel paint is now $60 canucks for 3.78 litres( 1 USG)  !

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 6:28am
Jay there are many types and quality of PC. Some durable as all get out others not so much. Some UV resistant others not. Some thick some thin. Some get one small chip and it all comes off in sheets and some you can hardly grind off.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 6:54am
I agree with that POS powder coat stuff. (sorry Joe) powder coat is just good enough for the store to sell an item, then it'll start rusting soon after!
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:02am
I have been powder coating for 7+ years. 1000's of items each year.
You clean the metal, etch the metal,degas the metal and clean it one more time.
That's just the start of a good powder coat job.
My oven is 4'x 3 1/2' x 6' and I have 4 guns, plus over 100 colors in stock.
I have powders that bake from 325 to 475 and from 8 to 25 min.
Here is were I get all my supplies from.
http://www.powderbuythepound.com/

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:41am

That's OK, Shameless,,,at least you were nice aboot it,,,WinkWink
 Like ole Thad and cabin say,,,powder coating is like anything else these days,,,some know how to apply it and some don't. Some use inferior equipment and some use inferior materials,,,, I have seen some stuff that like ole Thad,says,,,you have to litterally grind the stuff off. Most of the mass produced stuff, like lawn furniture, the coating  just don't last for chit ,,and when it does start to come off,,it is already rusting underneath,,!!
 Ole JoeM(GA) and Cabin gots some of the best examples for everybody here to see and I'm bettin they used the quality equipment and best quality materials. I had planned to use Eastwood materials as I think they were the first Kid On The Block with the powder coating but also gonna look into ole Cabin's source too.
 I'm gonna do the brake drums on Ole red and if I ever get my friggin phone to talk to my PC,,I'll post some pics. I been reading where you can spray some chrome first, cook that, then follow with some candy apple red for a red irridescent look,,,,,super Bad,,!!Clap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:11am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

That's OK, Shameless,,,at least you were nice aboot it,,,WinkWink
 Like ole Thad and cabin say,,,powder coating is like anything else these days,,,some know how to apply it and some don't. Some use inferior equipment and some use inferior materials,,,, I have seen some stuff that like ole Thad,says,,,you have to litterally grind the stuff off. Most of the mass produced stuff, like lawn furniture, the coating  just don't last for chit ,,and when it does start to come off,,it is already rusting underneath,,!!
 Ole JoeM(GA) and Cabin gots some of the best examples for everybody here to see and I'm bettin they used the quality equipment and best quality materials. I had planned to use Eastwood materials as I think they were the first Kid On The Block with the powder coating but also gonna look into ole Cabin's source too.
 I'm gonna do the brake drums on Ole red and if I ever get my friggin phone to talk to my PC,,I'll post some pics. I been reading where you can spray some chrome first, cook that, then follow with some candy apple red for a red irridescent look,,,,,super Bad,,!!Clap

I'll be powder coating around 20 items on Wed. Just stop by and I will show you how it done. If you start driving now, you should get here in time.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:40am

Well,,,believe you me, Cabin,,,,If there was a way for me to sneak off and go watch you do your magic,,I surely would,,,,Clap
 Have you ever done what I was mentioning with spraying the chrome,,then followed with the red ,,,?????
  I seriously doubt I'm gonna be puttin Ole Red into panic stop sitiations to get the drums that hot as this dude I was textin with said he did the drums on a Camaro in Blue and were still good after a year of driving. Then he did the calipers in the chrome,,,looked really nice,,!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 11:34am
I have not done a base color then a top coat.
You have to wet sand the first coat, before you put on the 2ed one.
What I have done, is have 2-3 guns setup with difference colors that all cook at the same time/temp.
Here is a picture of a sign that is two colors, shot at the same time.

Edited by cabinhollow - 03 Dec 2019 at 11:35am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 4:50pm
DJ, here's what you missed today.
Did two of these.
Post mounted small sq hay bale feeders for mini horse, donkey, sheep, goat.

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:29pm

Them look greta,,Cabin,,,Clap Hey,,you might sell some of those to ole Dick L ,,,he gots some of those mini horses,,,,,Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic