This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinout rim repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 10:51am
Marv,
Thought you had discovered to magic tonic there! Sounds about right that you had to wrestle the remaining ones. I am old and cant remember can the little snap clips be purchased from some supplier? I see you saved yours. 
You have a real good start on getting these wheels back in working condition.

Funny your waiting for a grinder! I am waiting for new batteries for my 20 volt DeWalt tools.

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:33pm
DANG IT LilMarv.......haven't you read ANY of the posts that I've put up on how to get them working again, the EASIEST WAY!?!?!?!  Shame.....tsk, tsk, tsk.....

Chris, I thought that I had a guy lined up to make some of those clips, but he just dropped out of sight and nothing was done.  I don't remember who it was either.  You know, my good memory!!...So Chester, I hope whomever it was sees this and chimes in......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:20am
Yes Ted, I read about how you free them up. But considering how I am a city dweller as so often lamented on here, my heat is natural gas. So the closest I could come to your method was setting them on top of my hot water heater. It didn't work.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 12:48pm
You mean you can't start a camp fire out in the back yard?  We can even do that here in terrible LaX.  Then you just toss em in the fire and watch out the window...
"Allis-Express"
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:08pm
We used a torch, 1/2" impact and BA hammer, all at the same time on the eight I had to do.

Edited by john(MI) - 09 Dec 2018 at 8:08pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 7:10pm
Well, went and bought myself a little Christmas present. Only $59, I was rather surprised. I suppose with cordless tools taking over, the corded ones will be getting cheaper?

Marked the area in need of repair on this side. Just the bead area needs replacement here.

Traced the part onto the donor rim, and cut on the outside of the line like someone mentioned. Really worked well, just took a little grinding to get it to fit.

On to the other bad spot, around the valve stem. I originally intended to chop out a large section here, but upon closer inspection I decided to just replace the bead area here as well. The profile of the WC rim is different, and I can go around all the rails and not have to mess with them.  Fill in around the valve stem hole and we should be in business.

Now, just need to get some time to weld!

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 7:20pm
Marv,
That looks pretty good. Going to be a little more work since you dont have the same donor rim. I think your going to save these rims with some fab work and welding! Nice job. You will not regret getting the corded tool. I usually get a battery and a corded one for the real work. I hate it when the batteries run out in the middle of a project. But I do like them for small remote jobs!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 7:24pm
Yes. I don't know how to explain it very well, but on the WC rim, the inner vertical part is different and would have made the rim have an odd shaped section to it. If a guy had an exact duplicate rim, you'd be able to patch it pretty seamlessly.
The WC rim is about twice as thick, which should be an advantage for welding.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 11:44am
Finally got back on this project for a minute. I have been so busy working overtime lately I actually dropped the rim off at a local fab shop and had him weld the patches in.  Turned out pretty good.

Cut the excess material off, ground everything down, looks pretty good. I used a carbide bit to take large amounts off, then a small sandpaper wheel on a die grinder to smooth everything out.

So there, back to the paint shop for (gentle!) sandblasting, then prime and paint.

Edited by littlemarv - 09 Mar 2019 at 11:45am

DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 3:04pm
I realize that most people believe that fluid is evil. I understand the expense of repairing/replacing rims. 8 of my tractors have loaded tires. Not a one leaks fluid and the rims don’t have any rust. The oldest being the CA at 20 years. The key is to replace the core assembly once every 2 years. The cost is $1.50 per tire. The cheapest weight that can be had and right where it should be. But of coarse if the tractor doesn’t need weight for traction there’s no need for fluid.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 3:05pm
Looking good!
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 3:59pm
Yeah Dennis, I have to agree with you.  On some of em, my WD45 for one, you gotta have that ballast and weight.  I have a loader on the 45, so I need it.  It's not much fun having the bucket full and 4" off the ground, and the rear end about the same distance, off the ground.

NICE job Ryan!!  Did you get your eccentric rings?
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 4:22pm
I have my rims galvanized for around $60-$65 per rim. That includes sandblasting.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 4:34pm
Ryan,
Good to get back on those rims! Spring will be here soon and you will want to get those new tires on them!
I would have used a 4 inch grinder on those welds.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 7:03pm

These rims are going to be "summer" tires for the CA for mowing. So they will get new tubes and no ballast. Then, this summer while these are on, I am going to dismount the tires on the current rims, get the rims reconditioned, and reinstall the tires with new tubes and "rim guard" ballast, which is not corrosive. That way I can lose weight for mowing, and reinstall it when I need the tractor for any other chores that require pulling.

In my mind, it works out perfect. We shall see.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 7:47pm
Grinding gears on transmissions eventually ruins gears/collars and it costs $$$ to repair. Letting a valve stem or tube leak for months or years ruins rims and costs $$$$ to repair. It's all about how things are cared for.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 8:15pm
We don't have rim guard here yet. I've talked to the three tire service companies but no go.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 9:19pm

A few years ago, I saved some tires that someone was throwing away. 24" tires off the front of a FWA tractor, almost bald from highway use. I don't even remember why I grabbed them, I just took them and stored them up at Dads.

I was looking for some turf tires for the CA when I remembered I had these.

Brought them down here last fall, as usual, I'm just getting to them now....

Chiseled them out of the snowbank and washed them off so I can work with them in the basement.

Sandblasted the centers and all the small parts, got them primed

And laid down the first layer of paint with cheap spray cans from Fleet, $4.00 a can.

But I wasn't too pleased with the paint. The nozzle plugged on two brand new cans, and it was awful thin and didn't cover very well. So I stopped back and splurged on the Van Sickle brand for the final coat, it seemed to cover much better. You can't expect too much when you are spray bombing, much less in 38 degree weather. I kept everything downstairs, carried parts out to the garage one by one, painted them, and back downstairs to cure. That's a lot of trips up and down the stairs, and a pretty smelly house for awhile.

Got some new tubes and mounted the tires.

Should work out good for mowing, just enough tread to grip a little, and the price was right.

Let the spray paint cure for a few days, and we should be good to go for reassembly.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 7:47am
Ryan,
 Those looks really good and will give you years of service! Rims and paint work turned out very good! These are always one of my big accomplishments on bringing these old tractors back to life! Great job and pictures! I have done the in and out of the basement thing too!
Regards,
 Chris
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 10:28am
Now you can have duals for dirt work too Big smile
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 6:09pm
Got the eccentrics put back together. I decided to use this synthetic brake grease, I've used it on brake jobs and after several years, when brakes need replacing again, this stuff is still there. If it can survive winter driving conditions around here, it should sure last on the tractor.

I followed Dennis's reassembly, only thing I did different was to set the centers on buckets to hold them up.

I worry about the dumbest stuff sometimes. You can't even see the heads of the bolts, but there I am, wire wheeling and painting them. Trouble is, maybe I should concentrate on HOW MANY there are. It takes 16 bolts to do two wheels, and I only kept twelve! The rest I snuck up to my dads and put in storage out in his shed when he wasn't looking! (I do that a lot, he has a lot of parts he doesn't know he has)

Grrrr. Another trip to the hardware store I suppose.

So, assembled what we could. Junior took care of a little paint touch up, and we will finish this project up tomorrow. Or the next day. Or next week, the way my life goes...

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:07pm
Looking good!
Who's gonna be doing the most grass cutting?? Wink Big smile
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:41am
Ryan,
This young man is getting to the age and height he will be able to handle the tractor well ans safely. He looks like he is putting his marks and touches on it too! So what are you going to be driving?? And is the rest of the tractor going to get a face lift? Now may be the time? Just sayin!:) Do you think you and your son could come over and help me get this 45 project ready for the summer??:) Most days I need a kick in the pants!
 Regards,
 Chris

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:33am
Chris between you and littlemarv you guys just about tucker me out just reading your posts.
Littlemarv your painting smell in the house reminds me of when I was 17 (76) and spray gunned a 65 chopped and stretched Triumph 500 frame, rear fender, and Sportster tank in my parents basement. I put a Bonneville 750 in it with a springer. It was metal flake blue to boot. Yep the house stunk for days, mom was pissed, dad was too but he was also proud of my accomplishment. I bought the house from mom after dad passed so mom wouldn't have to move, I got a great deal also. I still find blue metal flakes now and again. Kids, thank god I only had one, a daughter.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JaredC(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 8:00pm
Those look great :)

Jared
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:40pm
Well, got the poor man's turf tires bolted on. They are a touch taller, so I may have to adjust the deck. They are also a little wider, good for better floatation when wet.

A little touch up paint on the lug bolts and the eccentric bracket bolts should finish it up.

Then, take apart the other set of rims, dismount the tires, and give the rims, centers, and eccentrics the same treatment.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by littlemarv - 20 May 2019 at 11:41pm

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:42am
You done real good Marv, But the rains we had 3" + and then the snow, I was thinkin you should have put pontoons on with skis... that would be yesterday, and today the sun was out and bright and some actual heat in it and water standing in the grass.....
 Think with them new tires she will be a orange puddle jumper?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:54pm

I had to replace one missing lug bolt. Just in case anyone is wondering, it's 9/16-18 thread, 1 1/8" long.   Napa part # 641-1587.

Hey, you never know.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:41pm
Finally getting around to fixin up the original rims that came on the CA. Who knows when the last time those eccentrics turned. I leaned on them with my big ratchet, and there was no give whatsoever.

So, last time I was on call, I used the portable bead breaker, AKA wrecker underlift, to break the beads. Last night it was 60 some degrees, I thought "I'd better get those tires off while they still have a little give."

Good thinking, its 37 degrees out tonight.

Rims don't look too bad, we will see if they survive the blast cabinet. They had fluid in them, and the valve stems leaked, so now is the time to save them.

Took all the carriage bolts out, laid the rims on a piece of plywood, set a 4X4 on the centers, and several good whacks with a maul and out they came.

Even saved the one rim stop that was there. Score!

So, got me a little bucket of winter projects, there. Get the rims taken care of, free up the eccentrics and paint, and reassemble. A good set of spinout rims is a nice thing to have in stock, you know?

Thanks for looking!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:54pm
Yea just in case you get another tractor!:)
Ryan, That will be a great winter project. I try to do those to coincide with the hottest day of the year. Just seem like the way it works in my small world!
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic