This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPAM, The Other Meat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPAM, The Other Meat
    Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 6:21pm
Do any of you eat Spam? I haven't had any for at least 20 years for reasons that escape me. I had no issue with the taste or texture, perhaps the $$ played a roll? Just seems like Spam is really pushing their product with "mega" tv adds recently. Might bring a can home this weekend WinkWink.
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 6:28pm
Been probably 40 years since I had it. I didn’t hate it. I’d eat it if that’s what there was.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:12pm
Not a regular meal with he kids when they were growing up, little pricey in my mind but we would get it when on sale.  Fry some pieces up in a pan, put them on a hot dog bun and a slice of KRAFT singles split in half on top. Kids loved it.

If you are travelling on I-90 near Austin, MN the SPAM Museum is a short distance off the interstate. Free admission. 
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:16pm
Grilled SPAM n cheese. Mmmmm. Only lobster dipped in butter can beat that. My accountant also does some great stir fry with it
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:51pm
i've had it too...guess the only thing that turns my tummy is when i see all that gel around it in the can, kinda unappitizing to me. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:52pm
Spam, IE Some Pieces ARE Meat, most are not.  The Glue that holds the loaf together is nothing more than meat collagen IE FAT.  Then the Greatest of them All, ALL the Spam that was EVER Made was done by 1947, the stuff is on cold dry storage around the globe in a endless supply!!  

Personally HAD to eat that stuff in US of Army LONG ago, then a dear friend was coming to his 60th birthday at work, his main desire a Crew Feed on Spam.  LAST time any of that stuff crossed my lips and yes, it WAS Still as nasty as when I first had it, 2010.

Edited by DMiller - 10 Sep 2020 at 7:54pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

i've had it too...guess the only thing that turns my tum my is when i see all that gel around it in the can, kinda unappitizing to me. 
Yes Shameless, I am starting to recall the "gel" now that you mentioned it LOL!!
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:20pm
A marketable use for lips, tongue's, snouts, eyeballs and arseholes. Why not?
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:46pm
Fried spam with taters and eggs for breakfast, spam sandwich for lunch. It is a bit expensive for scrap meat though. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 8:59pm
Had a spam sandwich for lunch today, I fry it a little and put on buttered bread, I like it, have also put it in salads and scambled eggs.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 9:16pm
I don't mind the taste fried, just  usually try to think about other things while eating it.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 9:20pm
God, they used to put it in mers when I was in the air force and pass it off as ham. Meals rejected by Ethiopians!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 9:21pm
Been a long time. I liked it, but sadly, the salt content is rather high, no good for BP
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 9:34pm
Turkey Spam is the only version my wife buys. Since this Covid plannedemic, it cannot be found in any stores in our area.
That and Formula 409, is totally absent from stores.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 9:35pm
why not just buy a 2-3 pound cooked ham and keep it in the frig and cut off a slice for sandwiches ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 10:29pm
I was gonna but a can and take with us on this trip. Bought a lb of honey ham instead. Sorta getting a hankering for it now. May have ta run across the Missouri river and pick up a can in Auburn Ne.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 5:05am
We call it Minnesota pork chops.
I don’t touch the stuff
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 7:26am
I'm surprised it's considered "pricey". I mean, I had no clue because A) it's been 40 years and B) I don't do the grocery shopping. But still, surprises me, because I thought the whole point of it was cheap/scraps.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 8:36am
  we get it daily on the phone, say SPAM and we don't answer.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 8:56am

When we was growin up we used to get "The Commodities" and the four oldest boys used to have to rotate as to who had to take Mom to get them,,,,,Wink
 One time when it was my turn,,I drive up to the center and there right there parked in front of the store is the shinest most longest new car ,,,,that I thought I recognized,,,,and right bout then,,,here comes my friend, Henry, his brother, his sister AND their Momma,,,al of them luggin an armload of commodaties,,,right straight into that shiny new car,,,,,!!
 I made sure that ole Henry seen me and ,,,and,,I waved and called out his name,,,, his face turned as red as that car,,,!!!LOL BUT,,,he never onced made fun of how POOR we were,,,,,LOLLOL
 I was whistlin a lot when it was our turn to get our groceries,,,,OH,,Chit,,kinda got off my story. Anyway,,I use to LOVE what they called "Canned Meat" in the 303 sized cans that looked just like the Spam that the RICH people ate,,UMMmm,,take and slice it thick, fry it up and two slices of home made bread and get out the way,,I got to go to school,,,!!!!ClapLOL
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 9:05am
Been a while for me to. I guess 25 years or better. Nana used to fry it for us for breakfast sometimes. Pawpaw loved it then, as mentioned earlier, the sodium stopped him from being able to eat it. Never will forget that suckling sound it makes coming out of the can. Makes me want to shiver. The last fart leaving all those buttholes I guess

Edited by thendrix - 11 Sep 2020 at 9:06am
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 9:13am
Ate lots of that Spam in my young years also.  Mom used to fry it up and serve it with taters and boiled cabbage.  I don't think I would touch the stuff now!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Been a while for me to. I guess 25 years or better. Nana used to fry it for us for breakfast sometimes. Pawpaw loved it then, as mentioned earlier, the sodium stopped him from being able to eat it. Never will forget that suckling sound it makes coming out of the can. Makes me want to shiver. The last fart leaving all those buttholes I guess

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 10:24am
cubed up and put in mac and cheese. I like it and the kids eat it every time I make it. just not to often its full of fat and salt. I was deployed to kyrgyzstan during a winter had to hide you're spam or someone would eat it.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 10:56am
So I'm the lone dissenter?  Had it for breakfast this morning and we buy it by the case at Sam's. Probably not good for my health, but beats dying a slow death in a nursing home.

When kid was in USMC, stationed in Hawaii, we went to visit. Had a Spam fried rice Big Breakfast at McDonalds.
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 12:00pm
I'm a fan of Spam.  I like it pan fried with a fresh tomato.  The youtube video on the stuff is pretty neat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP7e0tV1sYE
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Turkey Spam is the only version my wife buys. Since this Covid plannedemic, it cannot be found in any stores in our area.
That and Formula 409, is totally absent from stores.

Lars, I never knew that there was a "turkey" version ??
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Alberta Phil Alberta Phil wrote:

Ate lots of that Spam in my young years also.  Mom used to fry it up and serve it with taters and boiled cabbage.  I don't think I would touch the stuff now!!

The boiled cabbage would have me on a water diet, given the choice between the 2 Wink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Been a long time. I liked it, but sadly, the salt content is rather high, no good for BP

Lou, I have doubt about the sodium content of SPAM as it's a "preserved" product and am on the verge of being put on "blood pressure" meds myself (I blame the wife), but PLEASE tell us that you partake in a take-out pizza once in a while WinkWink
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 8:11pm
This is interesting I never knew, I figured spam was just the scraps squeegeed of the locker plant floor like bologna and hot dogs.  Haven't knowingly ate it since college days.

[TUBE]IP7e0tV1sYE[/TUBE]

"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic