This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soy Bean Round Bales ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soy Bean Round Bales ?
    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 5:34pm
What would be the use of SB round bales in a non-livestock area ?
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 6:21pm
might make great fuel for a big 'whole house' stove ???
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 6:29pm
Jay, I thought about that but the only style of those burners are the stinky wood burning boiler set-ups "here" LOLLOL. For a roughly 50 acre field, there are ALOT of 5' round bales Smile
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 6:58pm
hmm. ok.. how about walls for 'alternative' houses ?? I've seen 'straw bale' houses on TV....

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 7:35am
Before or after combining?

Before, still would have to be sold as feed. Added to a mixer / grinder/ processor with other ingredients for livestock feed.

After combining, bedding, mulch, any place you might use straw, even roadside where they cover the bare spots i suppose. I suppose fuel is a possibility but holy crap that would go up fast and hot!
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 9:40am
  Its livestock bedding,some producers think its the best.    To lots of truckers and producers whats a few hundred miles.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Before, still would have to be sold as feed. Added to a mixer / grinder/ processor with other ingredients for livestock feed.

After combining, bedding, mulch, any place you might use straw, even roadside where they cover the bare spots i suppose. I suppose fuel is a possibility but holy crap that would go up fast and hot!

These bales were rolled AFTER harvest. Again, there's NO livestock  produced within 30 miles of this parcel Wink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 10:26pm
around here they grind it in with other stuff for cattle feed. high protein additive.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 10:47pm
Back in the 1960's when foxtail first moved in, dad had a field of beans taken over by foxtail. We small round baled beans/foxtail and fed them to stock cows. Everybody said it couldn't be done. Dad bought a new sprayer that winter. Dont know what to do with them without cows.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:40am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

These bales were rolled AFTER harvest. Again, there's NO livestock  produced within 30 miles of this parcel Wink

30 miles?!?!?!?!

Ever seen bales on a flat bed?    All it takes is a buyer. 30 miles means nothing.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:58am
Several years ago they were bailing hay in Illinois and sending to South Dakota to feed cattle during a deep snow storm.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:25am
Our renter baled Soy crop on another place where once fed to the livestock they only ate small pieces leaving the bulk lay, softer leaves and pods they ate, stems got filtered out and left to rot.  Determined NOT worth the effort.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:59am
Local here bales 20,000 4x8 straw bales every year most go the Iowa and Wisconsin. Some go all the way to the east coast. The places that buy them send there own trucks he loads them out of the shed all winter. If there is value shipping isn't he a problem
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 10:04am
They do work better tub ground and mixed in a wet ration or finish ration for the scratch.  I've fed just about anything but a ground tree mixed with WDG and sorghum silage they will do a better job cleaning it up, now ground or whole soy stubble by its self there would be a lot of waste, but in the field its all waste.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 11:56am
Very true, as to Straw here, the typical Wheat planted here is very short stalked, not much as to straw for recovery, most just burn down the stubble and replant over it.  Landscapers been whining for years as to Straw availability and costs.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:18pm
Back in the 70s and 80s we used to sell hay to a few farms in MD and FL. They paid for it and sent tractor trailers to pick it up. Never understood why and never asked - was always told to never look a gift horse in the mouth. We were glad to get almost double per bale (small squares) from them over the best price we could get locally. It paid us to sell our hay and buy from neighbors.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 1:23am
it's really hard on the baler belts to bale it up. wears them out real fast.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 5:35am
Ok, dumb idea...
why not stop at the farm that has the bales and ask them ?

heck, while getting gas the other day I asked the 'semi delivery guy' about his towed car. He drives new semi to buyers, uses car to get home.Asked if auto or std. He said std and getting harder to find as most new cars are all automatics. Then asked , Ok, what mods to automatics. he said just an extra tranny oil cooler, keeps them from handgrenading.

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:05am
Corn Stalks,Peanut Vines and Soybean Stems are all death to a Round Baler. Think of all the dirt going into the baler! Not to mention what the stems and stalks do to the belts. In 2012 I custom baled CRP land for hay because of the drought. I said never again as it took years off of my baler running over rough ground and the material baled. I traded balers in 2014!
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:09am

What would be the use of SB round bales in a non-livestock area ?
Why do you ask? Do you have some that you don't know what to do with them?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:08pm

30 miles?!?!?!?!

Ever seen bales on a flat bed?    All it takes is a buyer. 30 miles means nothing. 
Once again Bone, your post is pointless SmileSmile. Yes, I've seen THOUSANDS of big squares and round bales on flatbeds, NEVER seen soy bales on them or at local hay/straw sales WinkWink
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:19pm
With the dry weather in parts of the country hay is short and expensive.                    They can be used in cattle rations If ground as filler to stretch hay supply and keep the gut working. Trucking is a non issue. 55000 lbs loads no problem. They will be a lot cheaper than alfalfa so you can afford some freight. I've baled them. No issues.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:23pm
Thanks cale, there's cornstalks baled in this area but this is the first I've seen soy fodder wrapped up, I just couldn't imagine any feed value from a soybean stalk Embarrassed.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:29am

30 miles?!?!?!?!

Once again Bone, your post is pointless SmileSmile. Yes, I've seen THOUSANDS of big squares and round bales on flatbeds, NEVER seen soy bales on them or at local hay/straw sales WinkWink

You a combative drunk tonight or what?

You ask this question. I said it was either feed or used as straw would be used such as bedding or any other use for straw. But yet you're amazed that it's 30 MILES from any livestock. Myself and many others pointed out that hay, straw, whatever gets trucked all over the country, so 30 miles means nothing.

Maybe they're going to power a rocket ship to Mars with it instead or some other amazing exotic use? Oh please stop in ask and tell us!

Your first step is admitting you have a problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic