This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sons Log Splitter for utility unit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sons Log Splitter for utility unit
    Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 10:58am
Another of Galen's  pieces - this for small tractor - built on request of owner to be vertical unit .

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/fv_EN2f4VE4[/TUBE]
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 11:03am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 11:09am
Have you seen the splitter with the moving wedge that splits both directions?   Ingersoll made them for the little 448 garden tractors. I have one of them they are the best splitter I have ever used not only is it crazy fast to never waste a stroke but the wedge never gets stuck cause if it does you just put the other wood on the other side and it will push it out of one stick as it splits the next one. Way better then the fixed point wedges of the early splitters. I have been very impressed with how fast I can fill a pickup with one of those. I was thinking one of them mounted to a skid steer plat should sell well because they have the hydraulics for it.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 6:48pm
Nope have not seen that type of unit - 
One in video was requested by guy as he has limited ability to lift any weight - so wanted something he could load easily 
 Looked at other types of splitter but centering of blade for more than one direction of split becomes a problem 

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 7:16pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2A1neCPLgNs
That is the ingersoll splitter I have. That guy is wicked slow but those splitters will crank through wood for starters he is in the wrong side you put the shelf away from you. That way when the peice on your side splits off you throw it in your hand or hold it till the wedge gets moved and the peice in the other side falls on the shelf then you slide the peice on the shelf at the other end infront of the wedge and split it going back. It takes a little figuring out but it will fly through wood. Expecially with the 30 gpm pump on my d15.    If your son made then for a skid steer mount it would be really cool because you could set the work height and also curl them down or close to straight down for big stuff. Might be able to angle it on the mount so it went from straight down to vertical with the curl of the bucket. Northern tool sell something like then for a trailler or 3 point hitch. It is the best splitter I have ever seen.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 11:15am
Not only is the guy slow, the wood he's splitting doesn't even need splitting!  Must be paid by the hour, not the job!
It is a cool idea though, probably wouldn't work on every application but would be great for most.

Edited by JohnCO - 04 Apr 2016 at 11:16am
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 2:00pm
My next one will be a Flack Hill Kinetic splitter. I had used a SuperSplit and loved it. Flack Hill is an Amish knock off/clone with a few enhancements. I rented one for a day to finish up a pile that would have taken a couple of days and finished it up in about 5hrs....all with a 4hp Briggs. Videos of the Flack Hill are hard to find, but the Super Splits are plentiful on you tube. Even Oak, Elm, Cherry splits good and if it cannot make it, hit it again. IT has a 3 second cycle time on it, so there isnt much time to watch the world go by as you are using it like my old hydraulic.
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 2:02pm
Oh Yeah, that thing is pretty neat. Would be nice for a big piece with my Kubota and loader like that, especially if you could lay it daown to get them

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 2:22pm
The laying it down idea was why I thought the skid steer quick hitch would be a great improvement.   I tried one of those supper splits once they scared the crap out of me felt like I would get hurt for sure with that thing. It did work but it wasn't for me. I really like my ingersoll splitter. What I do is put the really big prices in a tractor bucket and use it to lift then to the splitter then I just have to slide then onto the shelf. It works ok that way saves alot of lifting. If you can lift it that splitter works great and with two guys oh my can you make the wood fly.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 5:56pm
Here's the flack hill:

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/_kEB3yltFEc[/TUBE]

I think DR makes one similar.

Here's my favorite:

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/2bVAAx3mMKY[/TUBE]
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 5:59pm
That second guy is totally nuts I have seen that before just crazy
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:28pm
Those DR's are as worthless as the mating orfice on a nun!! No one around here can make one last and warranty is slim to none

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:30pm
I like the spliter that attaches to a skid steer, has a 4-way wedge, you pick up the piece of wood, hold it over the truck or trailer, it splits it and drops into the truck or trailer. don't hafta man handle them at all. i'd have one cept I don't have a skid steer!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic