This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something you dont see every day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something you dont see every day
    Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 8:36am
7000 open station on rear steel, ya Amish. Didn't stay to see what it brought but I doubt much. It had been heavily Amish engineered upon if you get my drift.

Sponsored Links

Charlie (NC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:00am
Butch,  those Amish might have been ahead of their time.  Check out the new tire
Michelin is about to put on the market
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:02am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:03am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:03am
I hope the Michelin version works better than the Amish version!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:05am
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:10am
I am not judging, but I wonder why rubber tires on the front are ok, but the drive tires were converted to steel? FWA would be a strange proposition, I would think.
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:22am
Originally posted by redline redline wrote:

I am not judging, but I wonder why rubber tires on the front are ok, but the drive tires were converted to steel? FWA would be a strange proposition, I would think.
If you ever figure them out please clue me in also. What they do in all areas of life depends on what the local Elders deem OK so I have been told.  Some places they dont own any tractors but engines on wheels are OK if pulled by horses. Some places they own tractors but they cant go out of the barnyard into the fields. Around here most of them wouldn't get caught be caught dead using a tractor in the field but they own one to drive to town, who knows?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:28am
They are strange no doubt but I don't have a problem with them.  There aren't many Amish around here but a good many new order Minnonites.  They seem to be good, honest, hard working folks.  It would just go against my grain to have to ask the preacher how to run my business.  I don't mind him telling me what is morally right but I don't want him to tell me how to do the work.
split51 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote split51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:29am

Bridgestone

1929 20-35 sn17662
B1 w/snow blade
B10 w/sickle mower
B110 w/mower deck
B110 w/tiller
B112 w/grader blade
B210 w/plo
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:31am
redline, from what I've read the steel is to make the tractor uncomfortable to ride so it can't be used as "modern transportation" but as Butch said, they don't seem to mind riding them.  The Mennonites around here are a different story.  They are more about heavy duty diesel pickup trucks and big, modern tractors.

By the way,  apparently Michelin is actually about to put those no air tires on the road in the next few months.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:41am
I saw that item about the new Michelin airless wheel/tire a couple of weeks ago and was thinking about how far they would throw rocks that got trapped in them on the gravel roads where I live!LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:55am
I'm wondering how well they would work on a pickup truck where you might need to increase the rear tire pressure for a heavy load or reduce the pressure for traction reasons.
Maybe they have that figured out.  I don't want the first set that goes on the road for sure.

Sorry Butch I didn't intend to hi-jack your thread.
gary ny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:05am
there is one around here that has a ferris 3 wheel lawn mower with steel on it .he said that it rides so bad that he lets his wife do all the mowing 
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:12am
I find the new design tires interesting, but I don't think I am going to be able to jump on the bandwagon right away. The technology to apply white letters to the sidewalls will have to improve first. No white letters=preposterous!
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:14am
Originally posted by gary ny gary ny wrote:

there is one around here that has a ferris 3 wheel lawn mower with steel on it .he said that it rides so bad that he lets his wife do all the mowing 
My life would get kinda rough if I tried to pull that stunt!
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Charlie (NC) Charlie (NC) wrote:

Sorry Butch I didn't intend to hi-jack your thread.
No hi-jack and no problem.
I have no problems with the Amish either. I find them interesting, but odd. I also admire some of their values.  The entire steel/rubber/ inflatable tire deal is something I just plain dont understand.
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:34am
I wonder how the new tires would do in the snow? Seems it would get packed, freeze up, etc.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:35am

Your looking at it the wrong way, thats why its hard to understand.

Its not that they find using these modern conveniences inherently wrong.  They dont find using a tractor in the field is morally "wrong" but in the barnyard morally "ok". Rather, its all about trying to keep some distance between themselves and "worldly" things. So they place limitations on how the modern conveniences are used to maintain that distance. It is up to the elders to decide what those limitations are, so you will find variances in each community.

If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:41am

Here is a picture of my Amish friend's 200 in western PA. He also has 180 and a 715C TLB. Steel wheels prevent them from being tempted to go to town and being exposed to worldy sins. Another reason is so it won't go faster than a horse. In our area, the Old Order Mennonites (David Martin group) have just got permission from above to have skid steers. They are pulling wagons etc on the road but a skidsteer does not go faster than a horse. All the different groups and their rules gets pretty complicated around here.

Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:44am
Well, I found a used pair of those highly sought after "Zero" pressure tires or wheels I should say.  I have an infested field of Locust sprouts and tired of having the air tires repaired so, these made sense to me for awhile at least.

Big smile

Notice the 23 deg bars, they have some top wear.

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 26 Jan 2012 at 11:13am

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 11:12am
I've been told that steel wheels are used because they believe that air is the breath of God and it must not be contained.  Don't know if that's true or not?
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 11:56am
THINK THESE AG REAR WHEELS WERE FROM 'YODER DAME' ENGINEERING SCHOOL , hehe
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

I've been told that steel wheels are used because they believe that air is the breath of God and it must not be contained.  Don't know if that's true or not?

Haven't heard that one stan, but have heard that air tires are too 'convienent' for amish.

How a 100 HP tractor with steel wheels, is OK compared to the real horses, is beyond me to comprehend! LOL
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

Don't know for sure but doubt it. The Amish around here are about evenly split between using hydraulics and compressed air for the things we normaly use electricity for except of couse lightling.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:39pm
An electric coop manager in an area with "old order" Amish told me that it was more about economics than religious principles. That the pay phone booths in their section did lots of business and the they were always happy for a free ride in a car so long as they didn't have to make any cash investment. Now he may be a bit biased with lines along miles of roads with many houses and none of them electric customers.

Historically, when AC pioneered rubber tires there were two benefits. The ride was better and the fuel efficiency was better. Better ride allowed faster field work and better fuel efficiency benefited profits. Then the tractor takes fuel only when working, the horse fleet took feed and water 24/7 all year and often consumed nearly half the farm's pasture and grain production. Then an onery horse I'm sure hurt many a farm hand or farmer just by stepping or leaning in the stall at harnessing time.

Running a generator for refrigeration and power tools probably isn't really economical either.

Gerald J.
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:43pm
Amish here don't have rubber.  They make the tin for my barn and everything is done with honda engines.  Mennonite guy built my first barn and did a terrible job on my second so I fired him 2/3rds of the way through but I still like him and just wouldn't have him build anything for me.    Either way, I like both peoples I've met from both groups personally.
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

Running a generator for refrigeration and power tools probably isn't really economical either.

haha...I know some around here run there INDOOR plumbing with a honda generator! Sits on the back porch!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:46pm
Butch, you need a set of those new-fangled wheels so you can dual up your Two-Twenty!  LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:56pm
Went to an Amish tourist trap place in Pennsylvania Amish country once.  It was run by Amish and had all Amish employees.  Huge quilt shop in the basement with about a dozen sewng machines and a wood working shop out back that any man would be proud of.
All of the machines were run by air motors powered by a big diesel air compressor.  About 375 cfm if I remember right.    That's cramming a lot of "the breath of God" into a small pipe!Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic