This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something Called a Gleaner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something Called a Gleaner
    Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 11:24pm
Looked like some kind of harvester n the scrap yard, pretty beat up with the 6 cylinder Allis Chalmers engine sits high on the machine and has yet to suffer any damage.

Engine still turns over, not sure how many cubic inches or horse power it has. I have no use for the engine but could arrange for the scrap yard owner to set it aside for anyone interested in it.

Has some sort of an extended thing on the bell housing with a large belt on it, defiantly not a Rockford, probably better if interested party's contact Jack directly.

Jack has a loader at the yard.

TAC VENTURES

PO BOX 208
Neepawa, Manitoba R0J 1H0
1 (204) 476-0002
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 5:33am

Rusty

I have seen the odd picture of something with the word Gleaner on it too.

I agree, it does look like some kind of Harvester, maybe for grain.

Gary
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 6:44am
Iiiiii.....think he was being sarcastic?  I think?  Commenting on how beat up it was....maybe not.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 11:41am
Pictures?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Pictures?

Did not have my camera with me and the Gleaner is an hours drive from home.

From what I seen, not enough paint left on the Gleaner to tell what color it was when new,  The machine is pretty beat up right now because of rough loading from whence it came from and being shoved around the yard to its new resting place.

Jack's scrap yard is one of the interesting stops that I make whenever I'm in the neighborhood, he lets me pick interesting finds that may have come in with the loads of scrap.

I made the over head trolley in my shop from rollers that came from the hog slaughtering plant, lots of interesting goodies come from the plant.

You all will have to settle for the history of the Gleaner Company.

Gleaner HistoryEdit

Gleaner combines date back to 1923, when the Baldwin Brothers of Kansas, inspired by Jean Francois Millet's famous 1857 painting, The Gleaners, and so decided to use the term as the name for their radically redesigned self-propelled harvesting machine.

The Baldwin Brother's Gleaner incorporated reaping, binding and threshing all into one machine. Gleaner Baldwin Combines of Independence, MO fell into bankruptcy in the 1930s as sales plummeted. William James Brace became the receiver and with his son-in-law, George Reuland and others brought the company back. During WWII, they also produced war related machinery parts.

They were among the pioneers in the "self-propelled" machines, that is combines which had integrated propulsion and were not pulled by tractors. These machines were often considered the "Cadillac" of the industry. Allis-Chalmers purchased Gleaner in 1955 and continued to build the Gleaner machines in Independence, MO. When Allis-Chalmers folded, it became part of Deutz-Allis and in 1991, AGCO (Allis Gleaner Company)was created. The Independence plant was moved to Hesston, Kansas in 2000, near its roots where the Baldwin brothers started.

In 1979, Gleaner released another major innovation to the harvesting industry, the rotary combine. The Gleaner N6 was the first such combine(style of rotary, not the first, as IH was), followed by the N5 and the N7, the largest combine of its time, with cutter bars as big as 30 feet.

Firsts Seconds and THIRDSEdit

Some of the firsts introduced by the Gleaner are: an auger that replaced canvas drapers, a rasp bar threshing cylinder instead of a spike-tooth arrangement, and a down-front cylinder that put threshing closer to the crop. It introduced the rotary combine. It also introduced the use of galvanized sheet metal and the name “GLEANER” – two trademarks that have remained unchanged for over three-quarters of a century.

Allis-ChalmersEdit

In 1955, Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company acquired the Gleaner company. This was what launched Gleaner onto success and the production of numerous new models, as well as a wealth of new technology. Allis-Chalmers is the name under which Gleaners are most well known. These combines superseded the All-Crop brand for Allis-Chalmers. The AC models are shown below

Deutz-AllisEdit

In 1985, Allis-Chalmers became Deutz-Allis, and Gleaners products continued to be were produced under the Gleaner brand name and had a Deutz-Allis green stripe on the. Most used the air-cooled Deutz engines. This was the start of the downfall of the Gleaner combine.

Deutz-Allis Gleaner Harvester Models
[show] Model
Year(s) Produced
Horsepower
Engine Type
Misc Notes
Photo

AGCOEdit

In 1991, Deutz-Allis became AGCO, and Gleaners were consequently sold under AGCO, which actually stands for Allis Gleaner Company. The green stripe was changed to orange, which exists today. A major change to the appearance of Gleaner's was the move from unpainted galvanized steel for the body, to a painted gray body. In 2000, AGCO moved the Gleaner manufacturing facility to it's AGCO (Hesston) facility in Hesston, Kansas in order to have a more modern facility and to centralize many engineering and production functions at one location. This facility is located just a few miles away from where the Gleaner company originated from.

AGCO-Allis Gleaner Harvester Models
[show] Model Year(s) Produced Horsepower Engine Type Misc Notes Photo

Also during this time-period, AGCO rebadged some Gleaners as Whites, using the same silver-galvanized steel body, with a black stripe and the White logo, using a Cummins engine. These were available for at least the 1992 model-year.

White harvester Models
[hide] Model
Year(s) Produced
Horsepower
Engine Type
Misc Notes
Photo
White 2500 1992 190 hp (140 kW) Cummins
White 2500 combine
White 2600 1992 260 hp (190 kW) Cummins same as AGCO-Allis Gleaner R62

The New AGCOEdit

Gleaner (AGCO) logo

The Gleaners brand is still in production today under AGCO Gleaner, (AGCO actually stands for Allis Gleaner Company).

AGCO Gleaner combine harvester Models
[show] Model Year(s) Produced Horsepower Engine Type Misc Notes Photo AGCO Gleaner A85 2007 425 hp (317 kW) AGCO/SISU or Caterpillar built in the USA, special 85th anniversary model

Edited by rustydollar - 01 Sep 2017 at 12:11pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 12:13pm
The old age helper.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by rustydollar rustydollar wrote:

Pictures?

From what I seen, not enough paint left on the Gleaner to tell what color it was when new, 

Was there so much paint gone it practically looked galvanized?LOL
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by rustydollar rustydollar wrote:

Pictures?

From what I seen, not enough paint left on the Gleaner to tell what color it was when new, 

Was there so much paint gone it practically looked galvanized?LOL
Good one! 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:11pm
The history article got a couple things wrong like IH being first rotary. New Holland was before IH and one of the Baldwin brothers built a pull type rotary about 1930 or so.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

The history article got a couple things wrong like IH being first rotary. New Holland was before IH and one of the Baldwin brothers built a pull type rotary about 1930 or so.

The article came from a Wiki, feel free to visit this url and make any necessary corrections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleaner_Manufacturing_Company
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic