This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some FA 10 Fixing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some FA 10 Fixing
    Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 8:24pm

Partway through cutting edge repairs

End bits rebuilt with what we refer to as "hockey sticks".  Welded on with 16TC rods (which I think are your 7016 type).  So far so good as we don't do a lot of rock work.

Things you find out of sight.  I'm guessing the rod was shortened and rethreaded and too short so that was the stop.  Except they have over-travel stop valves that didn't touch - didn't work either as they'd been put in backwards and squashed.

The quick drop valve assemblies had migrated to the down-bar bow at 90 degrees to what they should have been.  Only after they went back here did I find what "quick drop" really was!

And one of the real joys was finding that the blade cylinder pivot shafts had been turned down 20 mm and fitted with some strange bush that was on hand.  And the outers had also been oversized.  It IS possible to build up that much and lathe off.  Our 1935 vintage lathe wasn't so good for machining  the outers so

Sponsored Links

Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 1:13am
Precision machining. Hell Ian, what did the wife think about you rebuilding the cylinders on the bed?
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 1:50am
Mac

Fortunately that was a throwout and was on the floor of the shed.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:52pm
Hmm - that precision grinder attachment might just work on some projects I have -
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 2:38am
Coke

The extension on the angle grinder there is about 2 inches long
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 7:09am
I don't see no sparks flying!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 2:42pm
Shameless

They must have been there as the rough welding disappeared eventually and it came back to the required diameter.   Feed was in thousandths so it was a patient job that took several nights. 

They would have stopped for the photo.  I didn't have power feed then and it doesn't have a stop either so it was all by hand.   In similar vein - a weather station I visited had for its radar set until recently one that came out of a 1942 UK warship that still used the original cavity magnetron.  Everything done by hand.  Rueful comment was that you learned everything needed about using a radar set.

It is back to using the standard Fiat bushes - not that I'm likely to wear this lot out unless a much better long-life pill comes around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic