This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar 6 or 12v Battery Maintainer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar 6 or 12v Battery Maintainer
    Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:13pm
For many years my 1951 AC WD with its original 6V generator and cutout (located in outbuilding with no utility power and no bat. maintainer) was often found with a low battery and had to be hand cranked, especially annoying when it must power the big PTO generator(Utility failed and below zero temp).  I finally found a solution to this problem and was able test it last winter when utility failed and temp was 0F, it cranked and started on its own!!!
A solution is a solar controller about $12 and a 10 watt or larger solar panel(about $30), see below.  I put the panel on the south side of building, angled about 30 degrees down from horizontal. I ran 50 foot wires to a 2pin automotive SAE bullet connector(must be able to disconnect), then to the SOLAR on controller, then from BATTERY to the red and black battery clips.  The controller will maintain either a 6 volt or a 12 volt battery but is most useful on the old 6 volt cutout AC systems(WC, WD, B, CA, etc). Be careful to wire so that correct polarity of red and black is maintained.  It will not overcharge the battery, but it will not charge a dead battery, it is only a maintainer and the battery must be 20% or so to start properly.  Important: connect controller to the battery FIRST, then connect the solar panel, as it must read the battery voltage first to know whether it is 6 or 12 volt!  The red and black wires labeled LOAD are not used here, cut short and tape.  It will not work on 8 volt battery or 24 volt systems, unless one for each 12V battery separately. Use shrink tubing and tape as needed to make wire connections waterproof.  Use not more than 3 or 4 feet of wire from the controller to the battery clips, as the controller must be near and about the same temperature as the battery in order to regulate properly.  If the battery is very low charge to start with, it may need ten or 12 days of good sunshine to bring up to full charge.  
Pics and links above and below...

Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 9:16pm
Ingenious idea! Glad it was a success!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 10:42pm
We used to connect 12v solar panels directly to sealed batteries on remote equipment.  Worked good and a lot less trips out to the equipment.  I'm not sure why you would need the controller you have.

I often thought about putting up my solar panel and run wires around the barn to all of the tractors.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:49am
Most , if not all 'solar controllers' have MPP built in. Simply put MPP (Maximum Power Point) is a technique to get the most power from a solar cell into a battery. Getting useful energy from the Sun used to be challenging. It's the 'details' like clouds, temperature, etc. that need to be dealt with MPP does that and more.
Just wiring a '12V solar array' to a 12V battery only kinda works....use  a $10 controller and you get a better charge.

If sending the 12V any distance , use 16GA or lower wire to reduce 'line losses'. A 10% line loss at 12V is 1.2 volts...so you'll never recharge a battery, far,far away.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
BigGuy1000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:46am
I have posted about this problem before but the company immediately discontinued the 6V controller that I used then.
You need the controller  prevent reverse discharge of the battery at night and to prevent overcharge of the battery and loss of electrolyte and to insure the correct rate of charge and correct float charge of the battery.
You can also use one very large solar panel and wire in parallel to many tractors, but you need one controller for each battery.
I note also that 12V only complete(panel and controller) solar battery maintainers  are available on Amazon but cost is 2X!
Thanks also to CTucker for pictures and for trying this out before I posted!!!

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 8:11am
We sell a few different solar chargers from small units to charge breakaway Batteries on Trailers to larger 2.4 Watt maintainers for larger Diesel and commercial Batteries. I don't list them on our website, but we have a lot of cool stuff like that that isn't on the website yet. As mentioned, they're design to maintain the charge in the Battery, not charge it up when the Battery is almost dead.  Once most Batteries are fully charged, the solar units maintain the charge quite well when not in use....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 8:19am
I had this rig hooked to my WC in the neighbors shed over winter. When I finally got around to replacing the "new" junk coil with a Pertronics Flamethrower coil, the old gal snapped right off.
 The last time I had to run a 100 foot drop cord thru the tall grass, weeds and snow to put my 110 volt powered maintainer on it.
 john(MI)I also tried the cigar lighter plug in with a cheap solar panel and no maintainer on my truck, and the battery went completely dead after sitting in the dark at night.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 9:18am
About 15 years ago I bought a supposed solar battery maintainer from Harbor Freight. It varied from charging the battery to running it dead on my Airstream which has the battery mounted on the tongue behind the LP tanks. At least that was a bad product.

Gerald J.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:29pm
Another (cheap) way of accomplishing the same thing is to use the solar panel offa fence charger...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 6:28pm
Steve, you mentioned chargers for trailer break away batteries.
I had a 16' tandem axel trailer with battery powered break away brakes.
The system never gave me any trouble and after a few years I wondered about the battery, so I took it in for the winter, and checked it. It was fine.
I decided that I needed a bigger trailer, and I bought a new 20' with the same type axels and brakes, except that it had a system that kept the battery charged.
I soon found that if I didn't disconnect the battery when not in use the electronics would discharged the battery.
Then I had a problem remembering to plug the battery in when I used the trailer.
I assume that was typical of that system, or is there a problem with it?
Other that that it works fine.

Dusty  
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Another (cheap) way of accomplishing the same thing is to use the solar panel offa fence charger...Wink

Except most of them are 4 volts, and probably won't do a 6 let alone a 12 volt battery any good.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 22 Aug 2019 at 8:38pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 7:47am
re: Dusty  drained battery..
The trailer battery electronics should only be powered when you press the 'test' button. At least that's the way it SHOULD be designed.......
If you put an ammeter between the battery + and the + battery connector, it'll show any drain on the battery. If not zero, then something IS draining the battery.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
CAPTMARCO View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAPTMARCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 12:57pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 2:00pm
CAPT... that one looks like it has all the good stuff that Jay and Steve mentioned.. 6 volts and 5 WATTS means it puts out .8 amps of charge.. That should be enough to keep the battery in good shape !... Price seems decent also.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
CAPTMARCO View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAPTMARCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 2:07pm
Thanks very much!  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic