This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snowmobile Clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigreavley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowmobile Clutch
    Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 1:28pm
What are the signs and symptoms that a snowmobile clutch is going. I have a yamaha inviter that is making a clattering noise, and sems to be slipping as you accelerate from 10mph to 30. It sounds like a box of rocks is clattering inside, and you can feel partial slipping in the drive train
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 2:27pm
You have them, time for a look at it to find the problem. Could be simple fix or lot of worn parts. only way to tell is open it up.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 5:38pm
Sounds like it's coming apart and you don't want that at 8000 rpm's.
I would check into that ASAP!!!!!
Pa.Pete View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pa.Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 6:22pm
If it's the clutch it woul probally make some noise at idle and just before it engages too.
It still could be the clutch but it might be the drive chain. Check it over good.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 7:02pm
I wouldn't wait to have it looked at. Leaving it go could result in a lot more costly repairs if something is coming apart in there. We have a Yamaha scooter with a similar type clutch and the bolt on the end of the crankshaft that holds the clutch in place came loose. It still worked but gradually got worse and by the time we had it looked at the repair also included a new crankshaft because the splines on the crankshaft were toast. 
Jack of all trades, master of none
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:46am
Make sure things are tight and no loose bolts. Alot of clutch problems can be cured with a new belt. Also check the bearings in the jack shaft. Remove the belt, rev it up, box of rocks still there, it's in the primary clutch or motor. Clutch facings should be smooth. HTH 
1961 H3
Good View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 1:30pm
My polaris 440 was doing that ,turned out the brake rotor is sloppy on the shaft and the belt has narrowed to much throwing off when it engages. I got lucky on that one
B212,716,two 314H's,WC,WD,D19,190XT
Pa.Pete View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pa.Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 6:57am
Did you ever get this figured out?
craigreavley View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigreavley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 7:11am

I put a different drive belt on it, and it has eliminated the noise. I believe it is fixed. i put 55 miles on it on Sunday, and it performed much better. Thank you for the help.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic