This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snow Blower, OC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow Blower, OC
    Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 3:45pm
I am running an IH 80 (?) double auger snowblower on the back of my AC190XT.  On the blower, shear-pin, does anyone know what would be a good bolt/grade to run?  I threw in 2 bolts/nuts that just fit and busted both off.  I was using grade-3 bolts but don't have anymore that fit, time for hardware store run.  Do I dare run grade 5 or would I be twisting the shaft?  This darn snow is layered, snow, ice, snow, ice, snow and is fun to blow.  NOT...  Snow's only 16-20 inches deep depending on the area.  Sheltered area deeper of course.  At half or little more throttle, low side, I was constantly stopping to let clear, seems like low reverse was too fast for the load.

Edited by NDBirdman - 18 Dec 2022 at 3:48pm
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 4:25pm
Are the shear bolt holes wollered out? I'd run grade fives, put washers on both sides, and double nut them so they don't come loose. And you are most definitely going to have to be feathering the PD clutch in much snow at all. It won't eat it at full speed. And get your engine RPMs up to almost full throttle. You won't hurt that snow blower, faster is better when it comes to that
I can't say that I would do this, but I know of guys who run a 540 blower on a 1000 shaft. Probably not doing that full speed, but the snow flies
Darrel
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 4:54pm
Use grade 5 bolts, and run at full throttle. At half throttle, the blower has no inertia to move the snow. We used to have a Lundell snow thrower, grade 5 bolts, full throttle on a 7060. Would have to feather the clutch on the first pass, but after that would take whatever width would allow for not using the clutch.

Edited by bigal121892 - 18 Dec 2022 at 5:02pm
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 4:58pm
No, the shear bolt holes aren't wollered out.  Kinda surprising as old/beat up this blower is.  I'll look for grade 5 when I hit the hardware store, thanks.  I was working the PD pretty hard in the deeper/harder stuff.  Straight snow without the darn layer of ice, it throws good.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 5:35pm

I have never heard of a Grade 3 bolt.

If you are referring to the three - on the head, that is a Grade 5.

No - is a Grade 2. Five - is a Grade 8, very hard and strong.

G
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 8:19pm
I would use grade 5 and don't tighten down against shaft. Use a lock nut to retain bolt. Full throttle puts less torque on shear bolt.                     MACK
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 8:50pm
Are you having any better luck with it birdman?
Darrel
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 9:18am
As said,fast pto is better and if you can manage a first pass by slipping along then you can just shave off slices it can handle without slipping PD.
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 5:42pm
I haven't tried blowing with it yet.  Figured maybe Wednesday I will fire her up again.  Today, I have battery problems... it's always something.  My Ford, Ram, and Buick have dead batteries.  I even keep battery tenders on them.  The Buick sits in a heated garage so that one came as a surprise but the 2 trucks.... kinda figured they'd be DOA as we're having -20f temps last few days. 

Gotta love these January/February temps... oh wait... it's only December.... grrr... LOL
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 9:30pm
Your location is the biggest obstacle.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 5:54am
Have you tried finding an owners manual for your blower to see what IH recommends?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic