This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snap Coupler Spring Repair Instructions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snap Coupler Spring Repair Instructions
    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 11:55pm
Any instructions out there to replace the springs, rivets, bolts, etc on the Snap Coupler latches? 

Bought the kit for the sons D19 latches and we used the bolts but I need to attach springs to my CA latches and not sure if I’m supposed to cut off the washers, attach the spring ends then put on washers and hammer the rivets out to keep the washers on or purchase a latch repair kit and guess what parts to use out of it?  

A related question is anyone have the picture of the different Snap Coupler latches through the years and what they fit? 

Don in Thompson IA
Sponsored Links

garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:14am
Hmmm I am curious as well. I bought the snap coupler repair kit for my WD's snap coupler, but am unsure how to install it.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:31am
Don, pretty sure I've seen that picture on here in the past, where one would find it I'm not sure.

The spring in the 'Bell' is another one that can stand updating. I struggled mightily getting one back together! Have NOS parts to put on the Wide-Front, can't get the darn pin out. Maybe next year won't be a fire-drill and it will get done.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:40am
     I second any insight on getting the "bell" apart. Suppose you need to press the pin out. The pin in the one I wanted to do seems to be at one with the hook. Maybe some heat?
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:59am
Hunter, it's on my 'To-Do' list for next year, stay tuned! Heat may be required. The tractor currently has the plow kick out system on it complete. Really don't want to cut that long pin but I will if that's what it takes.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 8:33am
The pin on the snap coupler bell is not pressed in. It could however be rusted in place.
Remove the pin and push it out. It's a little harder to assemble because of aligning the hook and spring in the housing is tricky.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
ddlong View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:05am

Found the picture but I do not remember the writing on it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:23pm
Hmmm now I want to take a picture of my snap couplers because I don't know what I've got...
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 6:50pm
I changed my bell this summer. 2 hours of laying on my side and swinging a 12lb persuader. synthetic heat and penetrating oil helped, as the 90 degree ambient temp didn't satisfy my stubborn girl.

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 7:06pm
I did some repairs on my latches - WD45. They are like #1 in the diagrams above. I replaced the springs and washers and saved everything else. Did just a bit of grinding and the forced off the washers. Then cleaned up the pin ends just enough to fit the new washers. Filed a bit and peened a bit with small hammer. Once I got the washers to fit I installed new springs, installed the new washers and repeened. Worked great. Fairly time consuming but result was good. By the way the diagrams are great. Mine is 1954 model and matches the diagram. I know they are original latches.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 5:22am
Great chart to have!

What version was used between April 1954 and March 1955?

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 7:23am
I think that #1 carried thru till the second one came out. My WD45 is mid year 1954 and it has the #1 version. My serial is 175421 so pretty much middle of serial numbers for that year. Just guessing tho.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 11:18pm
So my snap coupler must've been added to my '53 WD much later, as this looks like the "June 1958 and later" 5th variant latches?

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 8:04am
Some one probably just went to dealer and purchased new latches. Old ones maybe worn or damaged. 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 1:33pm
Dad bought set late 60s from dealer for newly acquired sc plow. Are what was current for D19. Unless there was nos laying around you got the latest version.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic