This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

snap coupler rotary mower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug-KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: snap coupler rotary mower
    Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:29pm
Looking to convert a 3-point rotary mower to snap coupler. Anyone have any pictures of their conversions? Any recommendations or helpful hints?   Thanks
Sponsored Links

Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 11:36pm
I tried ones it wasn't to hard , but I had trouble keeping the mower running straight behind the tractor. I was trying to use chain to run up to the lift arms. I ended up getting a old pull type mower and abandoning my project before I figured it out. I think it would of been better with something solid running up to the lift arms, I never got them planned out before I got the other mower though.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 8:11am
I have a snap coupler Woods mower. It has solid arms.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 8:44am
Here is a link to some pictures I posted of the snap coupler shredder I picked up and got operating. Hope this helps you.

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93926&title=snap-coupler-shredder-tried-out
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:32am
Here is a couple of pics of a Woods sc mower on my CA. The pto is not hooked up in the pic. I'd sell it for $200
Leon B

Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Doug-KS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug-KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:56am
Leon, Looks like it is about a 5' mower? Looks good with the nice CA, you wouldn't sell it all together would you? I have a 7' 3-point mower with two sets of blades on it for my D17, wanting to convert to snap coupler so looking for ideas on how to mount brackets to it.   

Thanks for the pictures.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 9:13am
I had a 3 point blade years ago and a SC hitch off an old planter. I welded some drop down brackets to the blade and then welded the SC hitch to them so it set level when on the ground. I added chains with a cross bolt for the lift latches. I used that blade a lot for many years. The biggest problem was it didn't work well backing up because the chains didn't keep it straight behind. That could have been fixed with a little work.
 I have that old SC hitch leaning against the garage right now, don't need it any more. I also have 2 heavy duty Sc hitches that have regular lift links with them. Prolly for sale but kinda heavy to ship.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Travis2766 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis2766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 9:19am

Here's a good picture of a Woods mower when they actually made a factory SC mount, doesn't look very hard to make
Doug-KS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug-KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 2:34pm
CTucker, I sent you a pm on your hitch.

Travis, I agree, doesn't look to difficult to weld up something. I was curious about adjustments or "tipping" front to back or if I should weld everything stationary. This looks pretty stationary.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 6:34pm
The best way of attaching was the original way, that AC built their 160 and 172 mowers.  It had a "rooster comb" rack with a bent 1/2" transfer bar, and 2 chains, that went down to the lower links.  The way you set the mowing height was to lift all the way up, and grab the now slack transfer bar and chains, and drop into the notch of your choice, then lower and you were ready to cut.  It also had a pair of short bar links, behind the hinged toplink bar, that allowed the mower to flex, front to back, so it wouldn't skip or drag, when cresting a hill, or bottoming out, crossing a low spot...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic