This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slapper/Hammer wrench for big nut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slapper/Hammer wrench for big nut
    Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:34am
Any of you guys ever use these for axle nuts, 3-3/4 in my case? Sockets I see for sale are 200$+, and not sure if they are deep enough. Hammer wrench used is less than $100, and can be extended with pipe for torqueing nut. I notice nut flats on these sprocket nuts aren't really generous in area, so wondering if the 12 point wrench will grip, and not round off nut. Appreciate any experience you can share.
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 11:00am
cheap and easy thing to do is cut out shape in 1/2 plate and leave a lever section attached

Edited by CAL(KS) - 01 May 2023 at 11:01am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 5:51pm
Take a large adjustable wrench and set it to the size of your nut.  Take a piece of soapstone and trace its outline onto some 1/2 inch steel, as posited, above.  Cut out the shape with a torch (or plasma cutter).  Just be sure to leave some iron around the inside of the jaws, so you can grind those areas to fit your nut.  I just had to do this for a lost router collet wrench, I used an old strap hinge, and it did the job...Wink

I'd stay away from 12 point wrenches, for the rounding off issue...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 01 May 2023 at 5:53pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 9:27am
I got a large RIDGID pipe wrench with shaped jaw to fit onto nut rather than pipe jaws 
has come in handy for many oversized nuts - but i did break one moveable jaw but it was replaced under warranty , I didn't bring in the wrench handle though as it has a slite bend in it from 10' section of pipe I had slid over handle to gain leverage needed . 
 For track adjuster on HD5 I cut a wrench shaped opening in a piece o 1/2" plate , then welded 1" round stock to it at 2 different angles to slip pipe over for handle - has worked good for years  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 11:53pm
Will an adjustable wrench do the job with an extension on it? 
Years ago I was reading a farm magazine article about tools a guy should have in their shop.  They suggested getting the biggest adjustable wrench you can find.  Said you might not use it much but it looks impressive hanging on the wall...
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 4:20am
John

I heard that the complete farm tool kit was

1 x large adjustable spanner

1 x large pipe wrench

1 x BFH 
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 10:21pm
I went and bought a BF torch, twice the size of my old Smith. That enabled me to heat the bolt on the track adjuster enough to get it to yield, and kept working lube into the yoke through the little 3/16ths hole I drilled in the top of it. Before this, it took my 240 lb. weight on a 10 foot pipe on a Ridgid 4' pipe wrench to turn it. That's 2400 ft/lbs!! I also finally got the master pin out of the track, after smacking it at least 200 times with a 12 lb. sledgehammer.  I ordered a 60 ton ram from ebay, and am using a Enerpac pump off of an old rolling car-lift scissor jack, that will produce at least 8000psi. I'm not messing around any more. Also got the steering clutch out. 

Edited by doctorcorey - 03 May 2023 at 10:40pm
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic