This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

skunk bait?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: skunk bait?
    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 6:30pm
Skunks are starting to dig in my yard, what do you use for bait in a live trap? Never see them as I sleep at night.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Sponsored Links

Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 7:59pm
Cat food...dry food works,,but the canned wet stuff might get them faster!??
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 11:22pm
you really gonna live trap them? whew!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 2:21am
They're going after grubs.

Sprinkle the yard with Milky Spore, then water it.  it'll knock down the grub populations substantially, and the skunks will go elsewhere.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 7:40am
Dave Kamp is on the money there.  Ya gotta stop feeding them.   Confused
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 9:20am
I know there after grubs, what is Milky Spore? never heard of it.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 3:07pm
It's a bacterium:

Extremely effective stuff, and totally natural, environmentally friendly, not toxic or carcinogenic to humans, pets, or livestock, will not poison aquifer or run off into streams...  just interrupts the lifecycle of grubs, predominantly Japanese Beetles.

Once you get it placed, the grubs eat it, it multiplies until they die, then released into the soil, is available for the next round of grubs.  It interrupts the lifecycle incredibly well. Read up on how the beetle's lifecycle is... and make sure you put it down in the proper timeframe.  It is noted that MS doesn't survive extreme cold, but I put mine down last summer, probably too late... but we had the beetles come up six weeks ago, and they went nuts on our crabapple trees, grapes, and some vegatables for about eight days, then they vanished...  haven't seen a single one since... and the moles left.

It's like... an atomic bomb specifically for beetles and grubs... but when you do it right, it's more effective than an atomic bomb.

Edited by DaveKamp - 11 Aug 2019 at 3:08pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 6:34pm
Only problem is availability, sometimes...  They had problems producing it, for a coupla years, don't know if it has been resolved, yet...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 12:57am
I've live trapped skunks. when they are in the trap come up on the blind side and drop a old blanket over it. pick it up and put it in the back of your pickup. never had one spray till the truck started moving, some don't. then take it out away from your place. unload it open the trap lift the blanket and leave for the skunk. when he runs off grab your trap and leave. You may have to wash out the back of the pickup with tomato juice. could shoot him in the trap if you wanted but that could be messy.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 12:59am
I discovered Japanese beetles on my grape vines a week ago, never seen them for 40 years or so.  The first day I just clapped my hands together on them but soon realized that wasn't effective.  Next got a quart container an put water in it and knocked them in it. Caught a hundred or more.  Noticed more this morning so got out the shop vac and sucked them suckers off the leaves.  Will check on the population tomorrow morning. I suspect there will be more... 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 4:45am
Back to the original question, use a small enough live trap, so the skunk can't lift his tail.  If he can't lift his tail, he can't spray.  For removal, tie rope to trap, drop off of bridge, into water, wait a while, till skunk is dead, then slide out the body...Wink
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 5:22am
Back to the beetles.  Confused

John, I think you should get some Sevin on those beetles pronto..  That will knock them back temporarily.

200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 7:23am
I put down the milky spore years ago, haven't been bothered by jap beatles since. Moles have moved on.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 8:27am
You need this patented 1882 animal trap.  It also can be used for other things too.

Edited by chaskaduo - 12 Aug 2019 at 8:28am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 1:46pm
Milk Spore is on Amazon
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

You need this patented 1882 animal trap.  It also can be used for other things too.

Baltimore rat trap...Wink
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 4:45pm
Every vendor on the AMAZON site lists this as being SOLD OUT and new stock unknown.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

John, I think you should get some Sevin on those beetles pronto..  That will knock them back temporarily.

Do NOT use SEVIN-

First of all, it is totally ineffective on Japanese Beetles.  Second, it will annhilate all the honeybees within five miles of you... and will get you jail time in some states, and HUGE compensation judgements in most others.

If you feel the need to kill-on-contact, just use soapy water.  Better way to short-term, is to adapt a common Japanese Beetle Trap to a 55-gallon drum with a plastic funnel.  Put 5 gallons of water and a cup of dish soap in the bottom of the drum to keep it upright on a windy day.  Beetles will fly to the trap target, bounce off, and fall down the funnel, and drown in the soap.... but beware, you'll have them coming in by the millions, so place the trap FAR from your gardens...

...and put down milky spore.  The trap will lure them away from your gardens, and kill the beetles, but this doesn't interrupt the lifecycle- you MUST KILL THE LARVAE.

Amazon is not the universal supply of everything.

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/milky-spore/05-153RS.html

There's plenty of others, you just hafta go to the professionals.

Edited by DaveKamp - 13 Aug 2019 at 11:03pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:59am
DIY, yeah we all know who the big rat is.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:14pm
cat food in live traps IF you don't have cats!---- As for them damn beetles, there is NOTHING out there that will kill them on contact!---Trust me I had everything here destroyed by them last month. ---- The only contact killer is alki gasoline!---- course you cant put that on plants!  Water and soap, wast of time. Once they move in, there is nothing you can do!-- I trapped a 55 gallon drum full of them in the big traps and still lost the fruit trees and grapes. They also was in the rest of the garden too. ---I did find that Spinosad will kill them AFTER they eat the treated leaves. ---they are hard shell like colorado potato beetles and as you already know nothing will kill them on contact.
From research, I found that you have to kill them in the ground in the grub stage, and that's impossible for most of us to do!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic