This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skid Steers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skid Steers
    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:04am
    Howdy,
     Anyone been looking at new skid steers lately? I can not believe the price! Looking at the 45 HP range. Now looking at used so I found a 1998 John Deere 6675 with 390 hours on. 

Thanks Kurzy
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:30am
Seems most construction equipment has been hit again with the inflation figures - everyone is buying or somehow the costs of every part used in them has doubled . As has the price of used equipment . 
 I had a 785 New Holland as wish i still had it , son bought a Bobcat 300A that has 4 wheel steering (still can't get use to that) though it is easier on turf .
 When I had the 785 also had a John deer that wassaid to be same machine but with JD engine rather than Perkins mine had - it was a DOG and balance was lousy - would get stuck in sand easily and leveling areas was impossible as it sunk in easily.
 Seems a lot of people are now buying compact tractors to do work that skid steers did before - with 4 WD on tractors now things changed - but every small tractor is now a IMPORT.
  Son is making attachments for many compacts now as they have went to detachable equipment face plates . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:38am

Howdy Coke,
  Been watching them small compact tractors too. Pricey too but I see many coming back for sale after a year or so of ownership. Skid steer still can work circles around tractor with loader. Your right so much difference in skid steers. What I liked best about this 6675 is I can see 360 from inside the cab. Too many now got you too blinded inside looking out!

Thanks Kurzy
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:52am
I looked at several different units back a few years and also at tracked units - they seem a good thing except when it comes to ice and snow - on any slope they slide as the track has no traction on ice . 
the units with the one side boom also let visibility improve but again price distates what a person wants or can afford . 
 If your thinking of new demo a couple brands - going from foot control of bucket and boom to joystick is also a little different getting use to , same with the control of movement on a joystick rather than levers like older machines - then look for aux hydraulics also as adding attachments will become the next part - be it a snow plow or grapple bucket or ????
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:01am
Tracked machines around here are HIGH $$$$$, rubber tire is not much better and in enough demand they are getting the prices asked. Loads of demand for smaller machines for contractors where the old industrial tractor loader units used to be the ticket. Seeing quite a few steel track conversion skid units, as hard or worse than the old heavy track loaders for tearing sod apart but a sight better for slope work, are as noisy as the old dry track units too.
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:03am
   Howdy Coke,
   Track machines really add weight, nice to know about sliding. Never thought of that. I think I like the hand and foot controls over electric stick controls. Too many replacing electric controls and cost to do.

Thanks Kurzy
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 5:29pm
Take a look at the new ASV RT 40, if its as good as my 15 YO ASV RC-30, it'll be a good machine...  As for traction in ice, a couple dozen snowmobile studs, in each track makes a world of difference.  All the new ones, IMHO, are crap, too much electronics and tier 4 engines, that no one can seem to figure out, without $10,000 worth of software!

[TUBE]wAg_chyQOkI[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 22 Mar 2019 at 5:34pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 5:55pm
I didn't read all the responses. What ever you get sit in it and make sure you can see the corner of the bucket, both sides of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic