This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simplicity 4040 problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 500592 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simplicity 4040 problems
    Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 10:18pm
I've got a really clean simplicity 4040 with 16.5 hp on an engine hour meter shows 1400 hours. E have been fighting it for a long time it doest seem to have full power it always lugs down and dies. I can't seem to find a carb kit for it anywhere sandy lake only had a whole new carb. I've checked the points put on an electric fuel pump new coil and cleaned the carb numerous times but it seems like the Jets and internal parts of the carb are in need of a full rebuild wold that cause the lugging and dying? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 6:06am
How clean is the air filter in it? Air filters are overlooked a lot. We just forget about em'. When its lugging, any black smoke out the exhaust? If so, remove the air filter for a test and see how it runs without the air filter. If the air filter is new, the Carburetor air/fuel mix might need to be fattened up a little to compensate for the load put on the engine. Could be a lean issue. Spark plug inspection will help ID a problem to. Wet gassy plugs means to rich, or possible float problem or Carb issue. Sooty plugs, intake restriction or ignition problem. Oily plugs, oil control issue inside the engine. Crankcase vent problem, rings, guides etc. White plugs, lean condition. Plugs can tell ya a lot of info if you learn how to read em'.... HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:48am
Check compression also! At those hrs. most are worn out. I'm Not an Onnan engine fan! Put a Honda or other brand engine in it. Or a 3 cylinder Diesel!
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 9:14pm
It sounds like it is starving for fuel.Fuel line or fuel tank outlet, or vent in fuel cap plugged.

Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 4:01pm
Use fuel additive in the fuel. It will clean the carb out. Sounds like mine, after a few days it is running better.
Tom
Chief Cockeye View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Cockeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:10pm
I had a similar problem with my Simplicity 4040 when I first bought it (abt 1973).  It ran great at idle, but had absolutely now power when put under a load.  That was the reason the original owner sold it to me.

Turned out to be the bolts holding the carb to the intake manifold were loose, allowing the engine to suck air.  Tightened the bolts and that turned out to be a GREAT tractor.  I still have it and still use it.  It is setting in my garage right now with the snow blade ready to plow any snow that comes along.

Good luck.

Bretz623 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bretz623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:46pm
I had similar issues related to timing.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 10:13am
  check the valve lash  and  do a leak down test.         probley needs the valves adjusted and maybe lapped.          get on top dead center on a piston and see if you have flywheel key sheared a few degrees,        good idea to clean the carbon out of those haeds               all of those will cause  low power,  low torque
Chief Cockeye View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Cockeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 2:36pm
I just remembered I had a weird fuel line problem on a different motor that sounds a little like your problem. 

The inner rubber liner on the fuel line had a 'flap' torn in it so that when fuel flowed thru the fuel line, the flap would close off the line just like a check-valve.  The 'flap' was easily overlooked during a visual inspection of the fuel line because it stayed out of the way.  Replacing the fuel line fixed my problem; but I never discovered the 'flap' until I tried to use that same fuel line on a different motor.

ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 11:30am
If you have original points box they have a tendancie to warp and are hard to keep points adjusted. Just my $.02
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic