This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silo's made of other stuff/ REDWOOD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silo's made of other stuff/ REDWOOD
    Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:10pm
Since I don't want to always be annoying I am starting a OFF TOPIC from the Poured silos.

Silos where already just rotting away 60 years ago out here. So I don't think I have ever seen one in use. I have seen a few bunker silage piles in pit and without. But California Redwood lumber lasts a long time and there are still a lot old redwood silos standing out here. Where any of the east of the Rockies ones made out of redwood or any other wood for that matter. 

For those that have not been around it redwood it lasts a very long time in wet environments. For things like fence posts they easily last 50 years, some much closer to 100 years. The down fall is it is not real strong in comparison to other common lumber like Douglas fir which the standard on the west coast. But most any wooden water tanks out here are redwood. So I would think it would of been a good as any wood to build a silo with.

Add any other one offs about silos and the things they have been built out of.Wink Off topic is encouraged , cause it could be fun.
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:20pm
Unadilla wood stave silos, made in Unadilla NY, were popular in our area when I was a kid.
The wood "swelled" when moist silage was blown in and they sealed up pretty well.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:40pm
Floors in manure spreaders were at one time Cypress, wooden bourbon mash vats are made of Cypress.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:58pm
In our area we had Silos made with Glazed block,one of Brick and a few wood. Never seen a red wood silo. One Farmer built a square silo out of concrete blocks !
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 6:07pm
Friend of ours had a small silo on his farm told my dad if he would tear it down hw could have the wood.  Dad tore it down and was all redwood.  Most silos around my home when I was kid were stave silos and Harvestores.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 6:09pm
Glazed red clay block here
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 7:15pm
we had a wood silo that blew over in a wind storm. And shortly after the Amish had a article in farm paper looking for silo wood and they came and picked it up. If I remember right they were going to be running it through a planer to take curve out and use as floor boards. I don’t remember what type a wood it was. Thought was a type of pine or spruce.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 7:23pm
I've been to a few auctions at some very old farms that have had wooden silos.  I don't know what kind of wood but other than at ground level they appeared to be st**dy.  I did see one at one farm that looked as if it were new.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 7:32pm
I saw on TV , years ago, of a company that was deconstructing some grain silos, maybe Michigan ?? HUGE....they were 'repurposing' the timbers into furniture and such.
Have no idea what show it was, sigh, wish I could remember though....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 2:11pm
We have people around here that tear down barns and sawing the beems into flooring for houses.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 2:52pm
Redwood = Cost , for planks of the size and dimension needed to hold silage in a large quantity the material strength is critical / were put in for processes when profit was high and what was spent did not matter as long as safe when done 
 Place i worked had 10' high and 20' circumference  storage tanks of different chemical at about 1' intervals around the tanks were metal staves with tightening devices these staves were 1" threaded rod at ends and a special bracket to allow tensioning of threaded area . 
 Inside the tanks was a bladder material impervious to the chemicals stored there within . 
When we closed the plant a outfit came in and bought all the redwood planks from tanks more ore less removed them in exchange of the materials  = 11' x 10" W x 3" T planks , edges were chamfered to fit curve along with a tongue and groove edge.   

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 15 Feb 2021 at 2:54pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:36pm
You said that there are/were water troughs made out of redwood, would this "change" the taste of the water to the livestock ? Thanks for the topic BTW Wink
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:37pm
The only redwood silo I had anything to do with was already taken down 20 or 30 years before I came along. The planks where only 2x6 tongue and groove and had been repurposed into corral boards. The cement bases where still there from 12 to 20 foot across(the base was removed in 72 or so ). The corral was removed in 72 as well. My dad did get a few of the 2x6 T&G boards but most where just bulldozed. Redwood is way to soft to make good flooring. But with lots of bands around the silo must worked for silos. Most redwood water tanks where also 2x6 T&G as well. Most anything built before 1940 in California had a lot of redwood used in it. Just high end trim piece and siding to give the barn look today.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 6:17pm
Back in the early '80's, redwood trim (exterior) was as common on a house as vinyl siding is today Wink !! I'm still digging out slivers (they're tiny but painful) LOL.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:35pm
Redwood has no taste or smell another reason to make water tanks from it.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:53pm
We had 2 wood silos around here. I wish they had been torn down and recycled.   Unfortunately tornados destroyed both of them. We had a lot of block silos, harvesters and a few other cement silos here. There are still a few Harvestors here, I dont think any are being used. A good friend of mine put up the last 1 I knew went up in the early 80's. It was used for high moisture corn that was fed to milk cows and hogs. John still has hogs today and does still use it. Unfortunately there is green tractor on the blower but a silver combine. He does not know how much longer he can run silver combines. Allen the dealer sold his building about 3 years ago so we dont have a dealer close. If he buys another combine it might be red. That dealer is 6 miles from his home.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic