This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silo Doors ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silo Doors ??
    Posted: 26 May 2021 at 8:11pm
Back in the early '80's. I worked on a neighbors 40 head dairy farm with a 18x60 and a 12x36 silo that had 2'x2' (?) doors every 3' ?? The spacing/size of the doors escapes me for "true" accuracy, but what was the species of wood that these doors were made from ?
I'm 99% positive that they were not "wolmanized", yet they were never  showing any signs of rot, even on the silage side Smile  Thanks
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:38pm
Here a lot of them were cypress. It takes a long long time for it to deteriate. I would like to find some to build bee hive stands. I might head down to Sailes Louisiana to the Bonnie And Clyde festival they have. If I ever get to go, I'll pick up 1/2 a pickup load and bring it back with me.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 12:53am
Doors were made out of various species of wood, such as Douglas fir, spruce, hemlock, cedar... 
  Our silo doors were 28W x 24H x 1.5" thick. They consist of 2 layers of 3/4"
t&g, one layer horizontal and the other vertical and were nailed & clinched.  The doors had and offset on the top and bottom to lock into the door below.  Each door has a metal hanger to hook onto the rebar that went across the door way.  The doors set in a 1 1/2" deep x 2" wide recess on each side of the doorway.   When opening the silo, we would hook one or two doors on the top edge of the silo, which would give two or four feet of open space to the chute... 2 foot opening wasn't enough for the Badger unloader, it needed 4' or would have a buildup of silage at bottom of door
 When filling the silo, it was easier to move the doors down just one space instead of two, but then had to put second door somewhere when using the unloader, which was to hang it on the unloader, thus it was the norm to hang two doors at the top. 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 5:39am
JC, that must have been ‘poured concrete’ silo?
During my high school years, the neighborhood ‘corporate farm’ had a couple of those, along with ‘concrete stave’, and Harvestore silos.
During silo filling time, we needed put the doors back in as we went along filling silo, those were attached to the rebar with twine stapled to the door.
Those weren’t very big silos, if memory serves one was 12x40, the other 14x40.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 6:40am
Lars, your correct, poured silo, 16x40.  It was built by a green crew with old used and abused forms that were so bad that dad was pounding them back into some formaty of a form... and then bucketing the concrete up instead of pumping it...  and was a wet season so they would pour two or three forms high and dad stopped at 40 feet when he would have gone to 60 if they would have known what they were doing.  What was worse was they put dry Portland on the joint when starting a new pour and it would leak water into the silo when ever it rained.  That was back in 1962.
  In 1965 the folks put up a 20x60 Harvestore that was taken down in 1966 because it was a silo from hell... because of so many problems incurred in the building of it. It had just three doors, two doors on top, one in the center for filling and one for the discharge of air. Then the one door for the unloader at the bottom.
 Have seen pictures of a few Harvestores that were converted to doors up the side to use conventional silo unloaders.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 8:12pm
JC, thanks for the reply, The silos I crawled up were stave silos back then Embarrassed. Now that you mentioned the "unused/open door, I can't recall where "that" door hung during unloading the big silo, it had an unloader in it. The small silo was the door just being thrown into the silo as it was a "hands-on" unloading system Wink !!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 4:05am
FDG, some of the fancy silos had a swing in door so there was no 'extra' door to move or hoist.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 5:50am
That must mean we had a 'fancy' silo, cause ours was the swing in kind... i remember putting caulking around each door to make them air tight, or at least that was the idea
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 5:46pm
I haven't climbed a silo in quite a few years but always enjoyed working on the harvest crew in my teens and early 20's.  Thinking about it, I can't think of one upright silo in the entire county that is still being used.  A guy a few miles away has a couple harvestors on his place, they are covered with cell antennas, I head he makes close to $5,000 a month on them, a lot more then he ever made squeezing teets.

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

FDG, some of the fancy silos had a swing in door so there was no 'extra' door to move or hoist.

Trust me, our doors did NOT swing in WinkWink !!
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 12:14pm
We had 2 24 x 80 poured silos in Wisconsin and they both had swing in doors. 
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 8:29pm
have some old wood doors left from our old wood silo. It blew over in a wind storm, and the Amish took the wood.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic