This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should the disk blades rub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should the disk blades rub
    Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:31am
I have a old JD disk (KBA model I think) that the inner most blade on the front gangs rub against each other.  This does not seem right to me, I have not seen other disks do this so I wonder if I need to correct something.  I have the disk up by the shop to do some repairs and maintenance so I thought I would ask now rather than have to fix something when it breaks in the field.

Thanks for any help or oppinions,
Denis
1938 B, 1945 B, 1941 IB, 1949 C, 2 1938 WCs, 3 1950 WDs, 1951 WD, 2 1955 WD45, 1957 D-14
Sponsored Links

captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 12:24pm
Denis I used to have big discs when I was running 550 acres and they were close but no, not touching. My rebuilt AC 200 series 8 foor SC discs are within a few thousands of and inch of each other but again not quite touching.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 12:31pm
Not right, capndana is correct, close but NOT touching.Same holds true for the 'clod busters' or disc cleaners, close but no cigar !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:00pm
Never pulled a J D pull type disc without tires. My old oliver disc would start rubbing when the cast bearing started to ware. It has cast iron hubs that will then rub. They always staid real shinny. Never worred much about it. I am in the process of totally rebuilding it now.

I have the back half about done.

Here is a link if you would like to see how bad it was when I started. Most of the back top frame had to be made new. The drawbars are the old ones straightened.

I still have more pictures to put on.

Denis in MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis in MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 6:44pm
OK so now the question is should I try to correct the problem or not worry about it since the most it will see each year is 20 or so acres
1938 B, 1945 B, 1941 IB, 1949 C, 2 1938 WCs, 3 1950 WDs, 1951 WD, 2 1955 WD45, 1957 D-14
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:25pm
I personaly would not worry about it.
 If it has the same cast iron bearings that I used on my Oliver disc get some prices and pick your time. You won't do much extra ware the way it is.
I have over 700 bucks in parts and steel so far. I (think) I will only have to buy a few 1/2" grade 8 bolts yet and some paint to be done. Probly take it right up next to 800 bucks total.  I started last fall doing a little when I could find time. I had to make one part yesterday and weld another today for the left front gang.
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:07pm
Dad has a 470 IH disc without a middle buster and the blades rub at the greatest angle which is what its run at. I wouldnt worry about it id run it the way it is.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 11:07pm
They may be touching, but they should be turning at the same speed-------so there shouldn't be much wear.   
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic