This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 9:28am
That's a great day. Take a nice deer and get back to a warm bright comfortable place to process. Congratulations
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 10:44am
Shrinkage or not looks like a nice buck. Wink You don't eat the horns. And no frost bite in your fingers as take the hid off. And no back strain to get him up off the floor. Good shop story in my mind.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 6:55pm
Thanks guys,
 Hope your Christmas was great! 
Our old hunting crew will be looking for additional whitetails in the PA late Flintlock and archery season too. Some of that time we will probably set in the shop and tell tall tales!

The shop is still providing tasks for me to complete. The loft has the trim in place to accept the standing seam roofing, then more 6 inch hemlock ship-lap on the sloped walls. 

Air compressor room needs finished inside too. A new big Ingersoll Rand Air compressor would be nice to add plus the piping and drops to complete that system too. Then I can begin to think about storage and work areas. And the double slider doors have not been designed yet.
Yes art work is going up on the walls too. (my brother stopped in to visit)

Friend John is working on his Flat head Ford V8 engine in the shop too.

Lots to still do but sure is nice to have somewhere warmer to work on things when the weather is not great. Just did oil change and brakes on the wife 2016 Edge.
Also have spent many hours in the shop working on the 32 dump truck for the last 6 months!:)
Hope things are good in orange land.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Dec 2021 at 8:01pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 7:57am
     Sure is a nice looking place to spend these cold winter months. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 8:47am
Yes it is!!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 10:02am
Good to hear from you. Hope you all have a safe and Happy New Year.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 8:22pm
Folks,
 Thanks! I work on it a little then get side tracked and repeat!
Found the filters 16 x 16 x 2 to go into the openings I had framed in for vents in the air compressor room. Got the bottom of the steel in there to match the rest of the building but may go with 4 sheets of 5/8 plywood for the walls.

Just about out of the 8 inch shiplap material. Trimmed this lower vent opening with the white J channel:

Happy new year to all the Allis Folks in Orange land!
 Was at a friends shop and he has a WC that is not running well and he might sell. Not that I need another one at all! Will see about that in the future. Not too fond of the hand brakes. It is a styled unit.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 8:53am
     Oh, I think "we" need another project in the wings; wouldn't want to run out of things to do. I have a '36 WC just like my Dad bought new and I have never figured out how to juggle the hand brakes and steering and other stuff comfortably. Use the knees some I guess. Still like to drive it around.

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 9:40am
Back in the day someone made a conversion kit to give you foot brakes. My uncle had it on his WC.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 10:09am
The very first time I ever used a loader was my uncles WC. It had hand brakes, hand hydraulic control for the loader, hand bucket trip and, to top it off the throttle teeth were worn off, so you had to hold the throttle. All this and it was a steep hill down to the manure spreader. After a few buckets, I ran into the side of the spreader and was "relieved" of my loader duties.

If a guy had about 6 hands, it would have been easy !
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 2:28pm
 Grew up around one of those. Just sold one in November and fellow that bought it called and has Covid so told him to get healed up before he came to get it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 3:22pm
Guys,
Yea we have a local puller with a WC. He has to grow a couple extra arms when pulls!:)
Current owner is going to try to get timing straightened out.its not a bad old tractor. With me in the seat it would be in the 3500 lb pulling class. I don't think there is any way it could lose enough weight to be in the 3,000 lb class.
Tires are good. I think one of the rears gas a cut in the tread area.vorher than that and that they are 13.6-28. old firestones.
Regards,
Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 7:03pm
AC Folks,
Couple months and it will have been two years since this shop was started. Completed the hatch for the loft area. Very heavy and awkward. I don't plan on opening it up often:

Also have the compressor room almost done too; Used 5/8 plywood on the upper walls and hemlock for the ceiling:

Also have the trap door in process going into the loft area. Still need to devise a lifting method. All my stuff seems to be heavy!:)

I am planning a change in the shop too. The area (zone 1) that was going to be my heated work shop is quickly becoming a kitchen for our Maple and Honey products. I am planning the moves to change to a stainless sink. Then a island work space and counters along each side.
 The main reason is that it is really nice and comfortable in there! Most of the appliances have already been moved here from the not so warm sugarhouse!
Should have room for almost all of my items make our value added sweet products. So this was not the original plan for this room, and it may be only temporary? We will see?
The shop with a dusting of snow:

The prototype sink, replacing the fiberglass sink:

Lots of things to tidy up and get organized. But thats how I do things.
Need to get work tables. Would like to have stainless rolling tables.

Old work table in center might be transformed into the island. 4 x 8 foot. Stainless top would be about $600. Could have nice storage under it too.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 Jan 2022 at 7:21pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:03am
   Need some rope and pulleys with weight hanging on them to help lift.
   Looks like you might need a addition on the cooking room.
Ilikeallis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilikeallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:59am
a lot of plugs ins, 4s and 2, I had mine built 12 years ago, 7 inchs concrete on top of sand with pex for in floor heat, and small room or office to keep warmer than the rest of the shop, with your parts books and shop manuels

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 8:37am
AC Folks,
 My old brain is always working faster than I can keep up with. 
Working on venison again today. Harvested a nice doe in the late PA flintlock season.
Next project: Maple syrup season.
Thanks for checking in on me!
 Regards,
 Chris

Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

AC Folks,
 My old brain is always working faster than I can keep up with. 
Working on venison again today. Harvested a nice doe in the late PA flintlock season.
Next project: Maple syrup season.
Thanks for checking in on me!
 Regards,
 Chris

Ok I didn't look, But do you have any maple mustard left?  'bout out, and that is some goood stuff!  P.S. the wife doesn't like the "end results" 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:33pm
Dave,
 We are out of the maple mustard till we make some syrup in a month or so. 
End results? Not sure about that?
 Regards,
 Chris
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 4:21am
[QUOTE=Sugarmaker]Dave,
 Regards,
 Chris
[/QUOT
The end results tend to give me a little bit of a gas issue!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Dave,
 Regards,
 Chris

Chris, do you think the sap will be running in a month? Pretty cold you know.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 2:59pm
Mike, folks,
 I think the sap will run within the next month. The real question will be, will we be ready?
Regards,
Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 8:55am
Back on topic, coming up on two years for this project. It will be a while before the inside is complete. I didnt plan very well for storage!
Worked in the loft stairs and loft walls to add the 2 costs of Varathane:

North wall:

Base around the room is the 8 inch ship lap. The walls will be similar in 6 inch shiplap. Not trying to get real fancy dancy here. Just want to get the walls secured. 

Grandson Nic finished a lot of the electrical outlets and switch connections yesterday! Yea!
He makes it looks so easy!

I need to work on the trap door closing feature before I get the walls done. 
Regards,
Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 9:00am
  Looking Great and this kinda weather, global warming, sure looks like a warm place to work
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 1:08am
Looking great Chris!  That picture of the shop in winter is Christmas Card quality.  Thinking back to last June when we were standing in the doorway, a lot warmer then...
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 5:00pm
Yep, the stairs with counter weights.  Did a lot of em way back when.  Simple and it works.
It's lookin GREAT and getting closer to DONE.
Now you'll have to build a 'new' Sugarshack.  That'll be fun!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:52pm
Folks,
 Thanks The shop is pretty comfortable. But not with out a price the propane is whistling through the pipes as the temps will be near zero tonight. 64 in the big room 67 in the kitchen area, (old zone 1).
Rhett was rebuilding a clock I accidentally dropped on the floor. He has good skills. And hasn't been told he cant do things. 

This was nice to hand wash the truck in the shop about 3 weeks ago:

What it looks like outside in the tundra:

The little ford does all the work and the Allis tractors watch! Hydraulics really work nice being warm!

Jib really works well for little things like lifting the fifth wheel hitch from the truck:

Went and picked up the 400 sq feet of hemlock rough cut 6 inch wide shiplap:
The Amish that sawed and shaped it were filling there ice house today. Very interesting.
Rectangular ice chunks 8" x 16" a 20" ish. Frozen in a large shallow home made pool. Cut and hauled by sled, to the insulated ice house (20 inches thick Styrofoam walls) About 12' x 8' high x 16' long inside. Snow went between each layer of ice.  

118 boards unloaded and sticker-ed, should be dry by about June. Then will be installed on the loft walls, horizontally. Price was just over a buck a square foot.

Glad Dave K is carrying on the "Shop Talk" theme with his new build!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Jan 2022 at 6:57pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 2:58pm
  Didn't know anone still used ice houses.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 3:03pm
Friend of mine is currently having an Amish crew put up two buildings. They had stopped building for a day to cut ice and fill their icehouse.

Edited by plummerscarin - 27 Jan 2022 at 3:06pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 8:00pm
We currently have the weather to get a lot of ice houses stocked. Maybe it will warm a little and we can make some syrup in a few weeks too.
Roads really mess up the truck. taking advantage of the shop heat and the hot water to rinse the truck when I bring it in.

Also planning to turn my zone 1 work area , into the kitchen for our Maple and Honey hobby. Center island and some storage needed. 

I just had a idea about my sliding doors for inside the shop. We have a canvas shop near by that could fasten canvas to door frames. Humm have to think about this a little on the frame design. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 Feb 2022 at 8:05pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 1:12pm
Have you brought that WC home yet?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 56>
  Share Topic