This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 6:22am
Looking good Chris !

A few pages back, I recommended the Ridgid miter saw stand and I knew that you had bought one (maybe two ?). I see one in your picture. How do you like it ?
Sponsored Links

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 1:00am
I sew the couch in the picture several posts back, it's been nearly 3 months since I sat on it!  You've made a lot of progress both on y(our) shop and on the Model BB.  You are on the home stretch, come winter your wife will have to drag you out of the shop for dinner!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

Looking good Chris !

A few pages back, I recommended the Ridgid miter saw stand and I knew that you had bought one (maybe two ?). I see one in your picture. How do you like it ?

The Rigid saw stands have paid for themselves on this one project! I would highly recommend them! Thanks for the suggestion! Yes I have two, one for each saw.

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

I sew the couch in the picture several posts back, it's been nearly 3 months since I sat on it!  You've made a lot of progress both on y(our) shop and on the Model BB.  You are on the home stretch, come winter your wife will have to drag you out of the shop for dinner!

John,
 Yes, summer is almost gone! Trying to get this wood working done while I can open the doors! The truck has me in a head lock with the old engines!
Looking forward to your next visit too!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Oct 2021 at 7:03am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 6:40am
Folks,
 As we move into fall the weather outside temps are dropping into the 40's with rumors of frost soon! I have been comfortable in the shop with the heat not on untill yesterday. It has remained about 63 degrees or better inside. I did a test yesterday as Cheryl said it was cool and turned the thermostat up to 68 F.  It came up about 2-3 degrees in about 6 hours. But the outside temps were not really very cold  or raw yet. Looking forward to a warm place to work for a change!
Some random shots as I have a lot of things out of the shop for Fall open house this weekend. Maple and Honey being the featured foody items.

The F40 and all my tools in zone 1 for the openhouse, all the other toys are outside for show and tell!

I noticed my jib had a minor issue: the brackets got bent at the lower pivot point. I will take that apart and reinforce it with some gussets. It has worked good to remove and stab the engine in the 32.

Grandson Nic pulled the 32 back into the shop with the WZ:

You can see my wood piles have been greatly reduced with  95% of the interior wall coverings in place. Up the stairs and the north end wall of the loft are in place This hemlock will do the south end wall in the loft and skirt the perimeter of the first 2 feet in the loft walls. The bottom pallet is the ash lumber for the window trim.

Last but not least a picture of our son Adam and Lexy in the 32 truck for a photo op moment. Was great to have them visit for a few days from out west:

Ok me in the 32 just to show I do fit in it also:

Is the shop done? No still lots to do. But the interior wall coverings were my project for the summer and I am getting close to wrapping those up too.

Thanks for checking in on me! Hope things are good in Orange land!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Oct 2021 at 7:01am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:42am
Very nice! Many of us out here with shop envy.

Maybe next year I'll get to build one.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 8:18am
Wow. Looks great in there
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 10:21am
  Great pictures, thanks for sharing. I always turn my raidiant floor on around October 1st while the cement is still warm so I don't have to heat it up to get heat. With it set at 68 it will only come on when needed.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 7:51pm
Folks,
 I did what tadams has done, Its Oct 1 and I had the heat on at 66. Felt warm this morning in there too!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 8:06am
AC team,
Grandson Nic spent the day here working on electrical items:
Remaining 4 footers added in the high bay. Total of 112 feet of LED in that room. Nice and bright:

We built some custom brackets for the ceiling fans and those are now mounted. Dont need them too much as the temp at the ceiling is within a degree of the floor 68 degrees.
 In the summer they may work real good.

He also installed 76 feet of same lights in the other two low bays. Wow I can now see in there!:

Even got my truck in a rinsed it off: Lots of folks say this floor heat and the winter weather and raod salt will turn the truck to a plie of rust. We will see.

Still need to do more wall attachment work, two coats of varathane in the high bay area and stairs, finishing wood around windows.
Like others I need to start getting the shop organized for winter too. Which really means just bring stuff in and cram it in the corners. The F40 Allis fork lift is really handy.
Hope things are good!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Oct 2021 at 8:09am
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 8:37am
     Thanks for the update on your shop. You are lucky to have a grandson with the ability and desire to help you. Things are looking good, as usual. Is your wife making curtains for the windows or haven't you asked her yet? Just trying to help a little. 
      Seems to me that if you keep the salt washed off your truck and it is kept dry would be better than outside in the damp with the salt on it.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 8:45am
I haven't seen one of those rigid (no side-to-side rocker) fifth wheel set ups in years.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 8:49am
Either way it will be a pile of rust. I say keep it clean and at least will look good as it rusts away .
Great looking shop BTW
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:04am
This shop will sure be a nice place to work (or sleep) this winter! Glad to see an update.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 10:31am
Are you gonna spill the beans and tell us how much you have invested in your "Sugarmakers Rest Home" ? EmbarrassedEmbarrassed
Or are you TOO scared Shocked to even start adding everything up? WinkLOLConfused

Now just a HUGE TV on one wall, your favorite recliner, a fridge with some barley pop, a waffle maker for breakfast/brunch and a popcorn machine for evening viewing and you're all set! ClapClap

It looks GREAT Chris!  It looks bigger inside than it did when you started.  Those lights and the hemlock just seem to enlarge it.

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 1:43pm
Ted, Folks,
 Well I have done a really good job of not keeping good records on the costs! And the waffle maker will probably put me over the top. But I love the idea. I do have the couch. Just need a blankey!  I would say above $110K ish might be a good number. The interior materials and heating, and insulation were a good chunk of Cheryl's money!:)
Currently on bread and water meals, till I can straighten up my act!
I did zero planning for storage, so that will be something to add to the future expenses also. I just designed in more than 4 corners to lean stuff in!
I have just enough room for the toys I have now. Not much room to walk around.
Like George Carlin reminds us, some of us have too much stuff!
 So thinking of a pole building for the tractors. We will see how that goes over!
Maybe should get rid of some things? Humm?
Hope things are good in Orange Land!
Regards,
 Chris

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 3:03pm
  We have this floor heat in our garage and it sure melts the snow if the car nicely and haven't noticed any rust problems so far as the snow & ice underneath bring the salt off with it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

We have this floor heat in our garage and it sure melts the snow if the car nicely and haven't noticed any rust problems so far as the snow & ice underneath bring the salt off with it.

T,
Well thats good to hear! Maybe there still is hope!:)
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 8:32am
AC folks,
 The shop may be done someday?? Haven't posted any updates for a while. I did get the ash trim around all the windows Covered with 2 coats of the polyurethane:

Nic completed almost all the ceiling lighting installation work. One more 8 footer in the small shop area. He will be back to complete outlet wiring.
Temp is set at mid 60's for the floor heat. Need to check the propane consumption as the weather is around 30 F. It is pretty comfortable in there to work on some winter projects.

Pulled my goose neck in the shop to install a new marine battery for running the Warn winch. I hauled a Allis WD for a friend the other day and we barely got it on the trailer. 
So the drive through doors worked very well to set it in there and get the new NAPA battery in place.

The work continues on the loft/ storage area above the shop. I have purchased some of the metal trim, ordered 400 sq ft of the 6" hemlock ship lap material for the side walls, and the white, standing rib steel, for the ceiling. Which may arrive and be custom rolled here on Monday. So this project like a lot of others will continue on into spring. I would like to have it pretty complete by Mid March. That is the two year anniversary of the start of the build. 

Speaking of which the wife and I celebrate 50 years together in less than 2 weeks. Amazing she has put up with me that long!:)

Hope things are good in Orange Land!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Nov 2021 at 8:34am
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 6:24pm
looking good Chris! congrats on your aniversary! keep up the good work on the syrup, we enjoyed it again today!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

looking good Chris! congrats on your aniversary! keep up the good work on the syrup, we enjoyed it again today!

X-2 Chris!! That shop is amazing, more than a little jealous. Wish you were closer, Id help fill it up!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 5:50am
Happy anniversary !!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 6:45am
Guys,
 Thanks!
This Allis forum and folks is one of the best! 
Regards,
 Chris
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 10:07am
     Congratulations on the 50 year anniversary. Quite a milestone. Hope you get to do something you both enjoy. 
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 10:25pm
Y(our) Shop is looking better and better, once that is finished, and the Ford truck on the road, what's next?
Congratulations on your 50th!  You are both lucky people.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 2:45am
Chris, you have reached a milestone this year.  The shop is nearing completion and Cheryl has put up with you for 50, yes, FIFTY years.  CONGRATS!!!

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 12:04pm
Guys,
 Thanks! Yea I think she might be a saint, or at least in line for saint hood!

Jockeying tractors around in the shop is the norm:

Have some heat loss on the loft end.

Small shop and loft area:

Rest of shop:

Coffee pot and radio. Pretty much can survive. 

The white F&J channel is going up very slowly at the south end of the loft. Geting ready for hemlock and the ceiling panels in the future. Then the snow guard strip at the base and some J channel around the doors, on and on..........

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Nov 2021 at 12:05pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 2:03pm
I'd hit the like button if we had one!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 6:48am
AC Folks,
Our PA Deer season started last Saturday, plus we got to hunt Sunday also. Both of those are relatively new to Pennsylvania rifle hunters. Season usually started the Monday after Thanksgiving. Whats the tie in to the shop? Well I spent some time in the deer stands for the last several days. Yesterday this nice average 9 point walked in at 75 yards.
Using my rifle of choice a Remington 7600 Gamemaster pump, in 30.06 caliber. 150 grain bullet. The buck was stopped in its tracks as my shot was a tad high. Which was fine by me I dont like tracking them with minimal snow cover. 
Some specs on the buck: live weight was near 240 lb. field dressed at 185 lb. 15.5 inch inside spread. Longest tine is 6 inches, couple numbs too.
(Warning in these pictures, antlers appear to be bigger than they actually are. We refer to that as ground shrinkage:).) 

The shop tie in. Used the jib to hoist the buck from the truck and it worked very well to process the deer. We skin, and quarter the deer, let it hang a day and begin processing venison into burger:

Also it was warm for Eric and I to do the work. 
Hope things are good in Orange land!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Dec 2021 at 6:54am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 9:12am
Nice deer Chris.

I have heard of this 'ground shrinkage' thing. Seen it a time or two myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 56>
  Share Topic