This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop heat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shop heat
    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 10:26am
Taking input on pellet stove. detached garage barn 32 x 48. Pole barn construction spray foam walls with drywall over top. Liner panels on ceiling with 4 inches of insulation. Has anybody got similar garage shop barns with pellet stove heating and your opinion
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:22pm
Boy has a similar size shop / garage. Foam walls and roof... no ceiling.. 9 ft walls.. he uses a kerosene salamander for a couple hours to take the chill off when he works out there... so a small stove should do the same... foam helps a lot on heat retain.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:34pm
I figure you'll need a couple of fans in opposite diagonal corners to circulate the heat  around and around......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Steve g View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 4:33pm
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking put a ceiling fan in. I'm all electric so natural gas is out of the question don't really want to deal with propane fuel oil if I don't have to. Been looking at pellet stove's some you can dial back to 1.4 pounds per hour.
Steve g View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 4:35pm
And that spray foam that's the only way to go. It took about four years before I had my first spider in the barn it definitely makes it tight.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 4:38pm
We have a corn stove in the farm shop. Shop is about 40x60 has flora heat in one half its set at 50 deg. It's an old farm shop with half a newer addition. Has 6" fiberglass with 1/4" foam vapor barrier under steel siding. 18" blown fiberglass in the cieling. The corn stove will keep it Luke warm but never heat it up. During the day we light the large fuel oil tank wood stove it heats the shop hot in about half an hour. You will go broke feeding a pellet stove. A bag of pellets dosent have very many BTUs in it. We go they about a third of a 55 gallon barrel of corn every day. We've been burning corn for several years it's not worth a lot and we just auger some from the bin when needed.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 4:46pm
If you have enough cieling height get a propane Infared tube heater. I have a cieling box heater in my shop it keeps the shop warm all winter I use around 400 gal of propane each year. My shop is 30x36 has R 19 in the walls and R38 in the cieling. Our winters are colder and longer than yours. I kept the shop at 55 all winter and turn it up to 75 when I'm working in it.
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 9:17pm
I also installed overhead infrared heat and keep it 50+ all winter long, shop is 40x40 14 ft high, use about 250 gals of propane a year.  Initial cost is more but more efficient to use.  I can open the door in the winter time to get something out or in and within minutes you would never know it was open. Based on my pre paid propane price that would cost me about $275.00 to heat my shop this winter.

Edited by Darrell G (MN) - 13 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 7:48am
Around here insurance companies wont allow a solid fuel burner in a detached building. Thinking you would need more insulation in the ceiling. Thats where most heat loss is.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 11:38pm

Talking bout shop heatin,,I ran across an article bout a two level stacked drum wood heater that has 6 two inch tubes runnin inside the top drum with a fan blowing into the tubes from the back end. HMMmmmm? Anybody using one of them,,??
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:15am
i made one of them years ago for an out building, wore it out. i know several that have made them outta the old fuel oil tanks too. they built a stand that stood away from the tank, had a 15/30  gallon barrel on it they put used oil in, ran a copper line down to the barrel with a pet cock in line, hung an old disk blade inside that the oil would drip on and ignite, them no pooling of oil inside the tank, would burn trash, wood, and old oil. that bugger was a heat factory!  
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:33am

Yeah,,,Shameless,,they's all kinds of ways that a smart and enterprising young fellar can do to get by on,,,,,Clap I remember this dude that did automatic transmission overhauls would save the oil and had him a 55 gal barrel with the copper tubing you mention with a petcock and dribble the oil down to the burn barrel underneath,,,,he could adjust the smoke with his air intake just right. It would not smoke and you could not see the plume from the outside either. Kept his whole shop warm too,,,,Clap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:37am

I WAS thinkin bout makein me one but with the 30 gallon barrels doe my 20X30 place but then I'd have to go back to cuttin and haulin the dang wood,,,,CHIT,,,,!!! Always something,,,!!Wink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:45am
Wood burner just takes way to much space you've got to keep a clear area around it and have a wood pile inside. Lots of ash to haul out. I'll stick with propane.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:36pm
Other issue with any flame cooker furnace, I paint in my shop with Automotive Enamels where Volatiles evaporate, makes a kind of loud BOOM when in presence of FIRE!!!

May eventually build a Outdoors wood burner behind that portion of shop to heat while I am working.  Ash, Dust and Flame OUTSIDE, Heat inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic