This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shop cleaning
    Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 9:43pm
Been gonna start on it for 2 years, its amazing what you can find from 20+ years of hording stuff. Started yesterday, I spent 4 hours straightening up my lumber stash. Found stuff that went missing years ago. Old gal accused me of loosing them. I knew that wasn't right. Told her she just hadnt looked in the right place. Turned out I was right.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 9:55pm
i had been hunting for any of my hammers all last week, couldn't find any of them, the old lady....ooooops....i mean the loving wife has a habit of using them, then leaving them lay. of course she denies it and shrugs her shoulders when i ask. sooooooooo....Sat**day stopped at HF and bought another hammer. $4.96. was also cleaning and putting stuff away for winter, found 3 well weathered hammers laying outside in various places. handles are really rusted or rotted. guess i'll hafta use the locks on my new tool boxes! 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 6:02am
Did a little cleaning in my workshop, getting ready for that next project, amazing what will find hidden in plain sight!!!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 7:16am
Tom,
 Good subject! I need to do better! I make a mess and walk away and leave it. Humm, and no one cleans it up! Dang!
We need you to get us on track for a clean up day. Once a week or at least once a month.
A big dumpster would help!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:17am
Shop cleaning?............What's that? Oh, that is what I have been meaning to do for the past 10 years. Daughter said she would come clean up my shop for me, I told her stay out of my shop. There is one tool I can't find called a roundtuit. I have several projects in there I need to finish, just have to get around to it.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:39am
Good for you to have a daughter willing to come and clean, Hubert - mine says when I leave this world she's just burning everything to the ground because no one can deal with the sorting-out. LOL
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:58am
Father in law died 5 years ago... I cleaned out the garage / barn / and behind it...  Piled 3.5 TONS of steel in the driveway to haul to the dump..  300 bags/ bottles/ cups/ boxes of misc screws and bolts... Seperated them into 5 trays of  small, medium, large, screw, hardware... About 15 pounds in each tray !... Took all the spray cans of paint, WD40, polish, bug killer, etc that were broken or 90% EMPTY and dumped in the barrel and BURNED it all... Had 3- 2.5 gallons of gear lube...OLD removed from the D17 probably 20 years ago !! ....Had 16 hammers , 14 with broken handles !  2 dozen pair of pliers, half rusted so they were hard to work... lots of wire brushing, soaking, painting to make 50% of it usable.......... Today we have a nice garage with work shop and storage, and a BIG 3 bay barn... NOTHING laying on the ground " out back".

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Nov 2020 at 9:01am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by TimCNY TimCNY wrote:

Good for you to have a daughter willing to come and clean, Hubert - mine says when I leave this world she's just burning everything to the ground because no one can deal with the sorting-out. LOL

I told mine that when I croak she can have one helluva yard sale. But the granddaughter likes a lot of grandpa's things so she is thinning some of it out already. A good western straw hat, a bolo tie and a back pack went home with her a few weeks ago. She already has a pretty decent set of tools for home repair. She cleaned and rearranged the kitchen pantry at the farm house a couple of months ago and I am just now able to find anything in there.

Edited by Hubert (Ga)engine7 - 03 Nov 2020 at 7:22pm
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 9:32am
Wink A supper clean shop with nothing out of place is just plain WRONG. Confused The same as a farm or ranch with out junk piles somewhere. Removing every last bit of junk is like removing all history. Nothing more depressing to me than seeing a old farm stead and every bit not needed today, removed. Darn old Confused citydots that don't know what valuable.LOL

Now O'l DJ or Shameless's place I could be right at home in the mess out back of the barn or garage.LOL

Wink I mean even the neat freaks ,not junk ever crowd, would not want me to send the 4 parts HD 5's to  China would you. Cause I have 2 to make run again if I live to about 150.LOL I keep hoping my grandkids will all turn into mechanics and fix all my forgotten project's. If your counting LOL 6 total, LOL and I have even more Cat D 6's.LOLLOLLOL

Edited by Ray54 - 04 Nov 2020 at 10:28am
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 10:43am

It can get out of hand tho'

Edited by Coke - 04 Nov 2020 at 10:43am
1957 D17 Diesel w/ M&W Pistons
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 10:52am
Really glad I have started cleaning house in my little shop.  Was going to have a nice winter project, that may be called to start sales proceedings to get into position to ride out what is coming January.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Coke Coke wrote:

It can get out of hand tho'

Why looks like a nice place plenty of room to walk between machines and check "inventory".LOL And room to add more "inventory". LOL
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 1:46pm
There should be. It's the local parts guys place Wink
1957 D17 Diesel w/ M&W Pistons
Thomasrive View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 6:49am
Cleaning is really an important and necessary aspect of the life of each of us. I personally admit that I don't like to do this and I always avoid and load myself with everything possible only to not have time to clean on my own. In this way, I make an excuse to turn to special companies that deal with a professional cleaning and in this way, I get rid of all the hard work. In the last period, I always turn to niftytilecleaning.com and they solve everything. The last time I needed carpet restoration and they have special appliances and detergents that solve everything quickly.

Edited by Thomasrive - 28 Apr 2021 at 6:50am
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:13am
Ray 54, you would feel so at home at my place, that I probably couldn't get rid of you. Darrel
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 8:32am
I hate having a dirty shop. After every project gets complete it goes outside the shop gets swept and moped. I spent 26 years in the military as a aircraft mechanic it bothers me to not put tools away I've left tools out because the job wasn't done. Got out of bed at 0200 went out and put the tools away I couldn't sleep. My work bench is a mess when it get so cluttered stuff falls off the scrap barrel gets filled. The days I work at the farm I usually spend my first hour walking around picking up tools and putting away. I finally have two other guys that usually return tools to the rack at the end of the day.the boss usually leaves them in a bucket I can't live with that I just grab the bucket and put away.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 11:14am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Ray 54, you would feel so at home at my place, that I probably couldn't get rid of you. Darrel

LOL I will keep that in mind when it gets so bad I have to leave sunny warm Californy. If the real-estate has any value left by then I can LOL  afford to bring all the HD 5 stuff so we can make your loader go again.   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 12:31am
yep...i loves my place! the stockholders don't, which makes me love it even more!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 1:04am
Now I gotta start all over again. Been sawing lumber, changing oil etc. Darn place gotta have a darn good sweep up. Still got a lotta stuff laying around waiting on getting fixed up. Can't haul crap till I gets a new floor put in the old Case spreader. And the list goes on and on. Somebody will probably find me "passed on" laying on that dang cement floor with a ratchet in my hand.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 6:50am
I'd rather be found there than other scenarios. My FIL was similar. Worked all day, went in collapsed, all she wrote. And yes the projects pile up faster than can be finished. Actually had a 2ft square area cleared off the bench....for about a week
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 7:26am
Folks,
 The clean bench/ shop idea is just a concept in my mind. I believe we either have the gene to clean or not! Me I did not get it. My kids are all neat folks, so not sure where that came from? Oldest son has every tool with the words stamped on the tool up, and headed all in same direction! Very strange concept compared to his Dad who is comfortable with an assorted pile of mixed tools on a bench along with many other things that need canned!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 7:40am
Yes, I have a son the same way, and mine is all laying in the drawer where dropped.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:24am
My 10 year old grandson is an ORDERLY freak... If i switch positions of the car and truck in the driveway, he is all questions and wants to know WHY the truck is parked in GRANDMAS SPOT !

and he has 50 HOT WHEEL cars on a board setup in the rec room... Dont even THINK about moving one an inch when he is not around !!

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Apr 2021 at 9:26am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:16am
I just dont think life should be that organized! Think of the fun we have searching for the same tools over and over. Sometimes getting creative and using another tool to do the job of the missing one too. 
Spent the morning in the shop with Great grandson and he has a tool problem at 3 years old!
Cooper loading the bottom of the new sink with tools in order.
Regards,
Chris
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:57pm
Thanks Steve for mentioning gear lube. I gotta run out and check the truck to make sure I have some for tomorrow.
I never have things real neat and clean but I like to be organized. I work off a pickup truck  with the bed my work bench and the cab my office.  Have had rentals as in mobile home parks for many years. Nothing I hate worse than pulling up to a small job and spend time looking all over the truck for the tool I need, and while searching some whiner tenant comes over complaining about absolutely anything that pops into their rarely used mind.

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:38pm
Looks like a well organized field assortment of Allis Stuff....no need to straighten that up. I’m good with it...leave my dirty shop alone!!! Lol
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:51pm
when i move/build a new area for tools and supplies, it's fun putting everything in their places, but after a week or so...it'll start looking like Coke describes. 
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 12:33am
When I get around to cleaning my shop and I find that missing wrench or tape measure that can't stay with the herd, it's like catching up with an old friend you aint seen in a long time and wonder how have I managed with out that "friend". Feels good when the shop is cleaned up but shure takes alot of time.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 12:34am
Dads farm usta look like that till a couple of bums loaded it all up and stole it all. Yours Looks good though.
Steve A View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 5:53am
My dad worked/ran body shops for 40 years. I worked with him in high school and college. Usually had his tools scattered between multiple cars. He told me when he started in the early '50s he was working at a Ford dealer; one night they had a break in. The thieves took all the tool chests/boxes but he didn't lose nearly as much as the other guys because they didn't bother to pick up tools that were here and there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic