This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shocking low fuel use

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shocking low fuel use
    Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 2:42pm
The old 7G I still have running seems to not like fuel very much or the fact the trans slips and lets the engine off the hook for load may be the cause.

Been removing a old fence line and terrace lip, years ago the field was around 60-70 feet wider but MO State Hwy Dept wanted to take a square corner out to a round curve and bought easement off the previous owners. They in turn moved the fence back to a old terrace line and let the hwy dept use the area I am now using for a entrance as a borrow area to raise the road bed. The fence line was rotten, wire strands just broke as I put any pressure on them to roll them up and the old wooden post just melted away at grade. So far I have moved around 25 yards of material, smoothed off around 110 feet of terrace curb, removed at least a dozen small trees and started on re-grading the entry. Old girl has only used 30-35 gallon fuel, about 10 full hours of operation over three days. Don't know of a Cat comparable.
Sponsored Links

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 4:01pm
Hi Dave
well first us southern hemisphere fellas had to convert that to litres; which is about 135L so that's 13.5 l/hr over 10 hrs. which I would thinks somewhere about normal. For comparison from my own experience with these 4 machines, working hard they,ll drink.
Gear drive D4D 11L/hr
powershift D4E and 941 trax 20L/hr
HD6EP 15L/hr
Your should get a idea of how hard yours was working by her engine note.
Also being flat shoes should slip tracks quite easily esp if abit slippery.
Check for trans slipping is very easy; as driveshaft universal joint should lock up at TC stall. ie If tracks have stopped moving driveshaft MUST lock up in any gear. Driveshaft turning but tracks stationery in any gear means transmission [or steering clutchs] slipping.
AC will use less fuel than any comparable cat. Because AC were direct injection and cat. pre combustion chamber. Although from my own experience, is not a big difference between a pc and di cat engine;in my 2 D6Ds.
Glad you got to push some dirt   
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 4:11pm
I know my HD5 with the 2-71 Detroit used a lot less fuel (2 to 3 GPH) than the HD4 with the 2200 engine . Then the D6-9U I had was a thirsty beast - but my FD5 could outwork it and is easy on fuel compared.
 Torque converter machines do have slippage I know the Perkins in the 715B also was easy on fuel as was the Perkins in the N/H 785 skid steer.  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 5:01pm
Was more then once I started to shave with the bucket just slightly down angle so the teeth would start in before the edge then just ease into the berm and slowly roll the bucket back and up. New single lever is a horse to swing and curl but does work easier than two handles. I had a couple of bucket loads that tried to sit the nose on the ground but the machine did fine. Old multi-purpose is one heavy monster with full dirt load it is a load. Will get photos later, had to run as rain set in and I barely got the tarps on the tractor to sit it out.

I am working up to a MODOT project at this entrance to our place, they issued me a permit to shave the NE edge of the south entry for better visibility. The entry is on a corner, atop a shallow hill and traffic supposed to be at 35 or less isn't, can be scary to hair raising. School buses are the worst! Will show that off as I get there, figures to around 30 yards material to come out to a 3 or 4-1 back cut.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 7:10am
This is the entry area and the old gap fence I am eliminating.

Where the gooseneck was parked in the second photo will get sloped from fence line down to road ditch, almost 4 feet down at far end to right at ditch. Just hope I don't hit rock too soon!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 5:13pm
Got my dirt move complete, now have to wait and see if meets MODOT expectations.

All seeded and strawed since these were taken. Three days around 45 gallons fuel and a little trans oil(developed a new leak). Used the 180 and a drag blade for final grade after discing.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 5:19pm
Would've gone more around the corner but hit a rock shelf, decided to bank off the last bit of grade and avoid it. Added a easy 100 feet of sight line to the entry. Will be re-establishing a fence line along the graded section where a old terrace berm had overgrown and raised over the years as the field lines drifted down.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 6:27am
I hope you got at least a THANK YOU from the highway department for a job well done. Are you going to install the transmission from the doner machine? Keep us informed.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 7:46am
Will have to at least try the donor trans. My current unit slips really bad(driveshaft turns when sitting still) in low reverse and high forward, the low forward will slip intermittently so I suspect seals for the clutches are leaking by as well the packs themselves shot. I can swap them and see how it works, can only be a loss if it doesn't do anything. I will still have the original from this tractor to tear into and try to reseal and re-clutch.

Minnpar has clutch plates, was told by a couple old hands that the shaft seals will probably be a 'similar' hydraulic cylinder shaft seal or pump seal while I may have to try to get clutch pack seals either made(if metal) or something along the lines of a hydraulics shop to come up with something again close if nylon or teflon. If the drums are shot then anybodys guess.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 7:51am
Job did end up costing a little more than expected, ran a stob of a cedar thru the sidewall of my 180's left front tire, ruined it, actually got the rim when I did not catch it and ran it over rocks in the berm cut. Second, my old Ford spit a rear brake pad, rotor is against the caliper pistons right now, never ending maintenance.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 9:49am
Pretty country.  Anything that green would hurt our eyes out here in arid Colorado!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 9:51am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Will have to at least try the donor trans. My current unit slips really bad(driveshaft turns when sitting still) in low reverse and high forward, the low forward will slip intermittently so I suspect seals for the clutches are leaking by as well the packs themselves shot. I can swap them and see how it works, can only be a loss if it doesn't do anything. I will still have the original from this tractor to tear into and try to reseal and re-clutch.

Minnpar has clutch plates, was told by a couple old hands that the shaft seals will probably be a 'similar' hydraulic cylinder shaft seal or pump seal while I may have to try to get clutch pack seals either made(if metal) or something along the lines of a hydraulics shop to come up with something again close if nylon or teflon. If the drums are shot then anybodys guess.
             D., what are your trans gauge readings in the various gears at low/high idle?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 9:54am
Been out in your neck of NO woods a few times John, still pretty there too. We are actually around 3" shy of rain this season but our grasses and wood do not seem to mind.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 4:02pm
Well first of two new projects done, new brakes on the rear of the Ford, did buy the tires for the front of the 180 and have the rims on the way as I do know that both are iffy at best from four years ago.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 7:30pm
Well tires and wheels are on the 180, old rims are pretty bad at the bead area but I think can be salvaged for spares. Went up to look at the landscaping, grass has already popped up, probably the Rye, Fescue will come on later.

Moved the old girl back to the barn, had a few minor messy leaks, fixed the first on the 4/1 clam cylinder, did look at the right final as it has resumed seeping around the shaft to sprocket junction, had been having no recharge issues with the batteries, doesn't use much so just lived with it, checked and found no power to the studs on the generator, next project in line. Have input seal for trans and output for the converter coming, will be dropping the driveshaft next as still don't have the donor trans pulled yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic