This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shift pattern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny NM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shift pattern
    Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:21pm
Hello everyone I finnally got the HD6 to my place. The engine is stuck and i would like to pull it to see if it will break free. i don't know the gear pattern. i don't know the year and the serial # is buried behind the ripper. the man i bought it from thought it was a 1954. Thanks for the help Danny.
Sponsored Links

dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 4:31am
i did not catch if it was a b or g but the only difference is the reverse, loaders had 2 reverses. can't be a 54, they started making them in 56 or 57, i need to check my swinford book. anyway, shift pattern: on the front side of the shifter goes from left to right, 1,2,3. the rear side of the shifter, left to right goes r-1, r-2 if loader,5 for dozer, 4. first and reverse are opposite on the left side, third and forth are opposite on the right side. try using a higher gear when breaking free. lower gears reduce it down too much. good luck. any chance you want to trade the ripper for a winch? also, the serial number shsoule be on the plate on the dash just below and to the right of the throttle.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Danny NM View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny NM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 7:58pm
Hello dadsdozerhd5b Thanks for the shift pattern. i've been looking for a ripper for you but no luck yet. this dozer had a sister it was a loader they worked together. It's suposed to be in the same village that the dozer came from but i have not found it yet. if this dozer is beyond repair you are first on the list for the ripper. The tag for the shift & the tag with the serial # are gone. Is a B a loader & a G a dozer? Is the electcial system positive ground?  One good thing so far i don't think i brought any rattle snakes home. Thanks again for your time Danny.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 4:45am
hey danny, b's are dozers and g's are loaders usually, 99 percent of the time. sometimes a rear housing or serial number tag gets swapped out over the years and it gets mixed up. b's are the shorter track frames with oscillation and g's have longer track frames and no oscillation, ridgid bar in the front instead of a spring. i am lucky not to have rattlesnakes here or i would only work on them in the winter. man, that would be quite a surprise to find one of those under your seat. as far aas the electrical system, check your alternator for markings as to which ground it is, positive to negative. according to my service book, they originally were positive ground with 2- 6volt batteries hooked in series. if the alternator was changed or you want to make it negative ground, it can be done. the alternator is the only part of the system that cares about which one is grounded. the starter can be hooked up either way as long as the alternator is disconnected. my dozer is negative ground, i unhooked the alternator as i only start it once a day and only have to recharge the battery occasionally. as i am typing this, these machines actually came with generators and voltage regulators not actual alternators. there is a difference. hope this helps. tim
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
acisbest View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acisbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 1:00pm
My 56 HD6G is 24 volt. Two twelves in series. 
Danny NM View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny NM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:28pm
Hi guys Thanks for the infor. i got the injectors out and got some kroil down in the cylinders. may be in a week or two i'll give it a pull. my has a generator & regulator and two 12 v in series. went to clear a rats nest in the fan area man what a mistake. i didn't know it but rats protects it's home by lineing it with cactus parts went right threw the old gloves. spent the rest of today trying to get my fingers back in workig order. went looken for a drain for the crankcase oil. this might be  the mother of all rats nest cant see the oil pan or the drive line either. little afraid to look under the seat. My new dozer does have a spring so i'm going to say it's a B  Thanks again for the help Danny.
Geroc84 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geroc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 4:11pm
Hey ,I'm looking for a winch to fit my hd6g loader
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic