This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

She's home!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: She's home!
    Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 6:01pm
Got my girl home Friday. HD16. Runs strong and sound greats. Going over it all day today. Here is what I have done today and found out.

1. Completely cleaned tracks and UC. Found no damage, drive sprockets look very good. A lot of slop in the tracks but pleased that it has hydraulic adjusters and not mechanical.

2. The Track Release Housing with the large screw plug in the side appears to be very low. No fluid visible and nothing can be found with finger and probe trying to find fluid level. Am I correct that the fluid should be at the bottom of the opening? 90wt oil?

3. Steering clutches/handles Don't have much of an effect on steering without using brake pedal. Fluid checked out good and full. Would low oil in track release housing/final drive have an effect on the steering clutches? I hope that is the case. If that is not it, can't someone steer me to some other possiblilities to look at. Screens or filters maybe?

Overall pleased with everything I am finding considering that the owner did little or no regular maintenance. Grease fitting rusted over and frozen, already replaced 6. Tracks very sloppy. Finding numerous bolts loose. Again, all easy to fix. Looking forward to any insight into the connection between the steering clutches and the almost empty final drive/track release housing ( both sides both tracks).
Sponsored Links

hd16b View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 6:30pm
Glad you got her home. Feel free to call me anytime 2529162927, could give you a few tips
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 7:32pm
I sure will and thank you
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:34am
if on firm soil it wont turn much without the brake.I just walked a D6C around the corn field yesterday to push up a brush pile.I was surprised how much brake it took to turn it.Pulling clutch had zero effect alone. I operated one 40yrs ago for 2 yrs and didn't remember that.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 5:03pm
Thank you Steve M. I ran s few different dozers in the 70's. I never recalled having to use the brake pedals that much. Smaller dozers like John Deere 450 and 350's.

I loaded the HD 16 one he lowboy for the driver and first time on this machine. Previous owner said when you a pushing a load you don't hardly need foot brakes just steering levers. Would love to confirm this one. The adventure continues.

Thank you.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 5:16pm
Thank you Steve M. I ran s few different dozers in the 70's. I never recalled having to use the brake pedals that much. Smaller dozers like John Deere 450 and 350's.

I loaded the HD 16 one he lowboy for the driver and first time on this machine. Previous owner said when you a pushing a load you don't hardly need foot brakes just steering levers. Would love to confirm this one. The adventure continues.

Thank you.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 5:33pm
Well here is my plan for the 16. Going to focus on one area at a time. First thing yo get corrected are the tracks. Looks like they have not been adjusted in years. Hydraulic track tensioners. On the left side, there appears to be plenty of adjustment as the plunger is flush with housing. Took a couple of hours to replace rusted grease fitting and started to pump with a good grease gun. All at once there was a loud bang and I started to see the plunger move out. Grease fitting broke off and I stopped on that track.

On the right side the fitting took grease and after almost a whole tube of grease,, grease started to push out under and around the end of the adjustment ram. Must be a bad deal. Ram after all of this never moved. How much adjustment is there on these adjustment rams.. of note also. Both track release resovoirs are almost empty I think. I took the plug out on the side and couldn't find any evidence of oil in either of them. Will this impact being able to adjust the tracks?

HELP ME OBIWAN YOUR'E MY ONLY HOPE.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 7:06pm
Even on my Hd7G you do not need brakes when the bucket is under load or when traversing slopes, just a little clutch.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 7:45pm
I agree DMILLER.

When I get the tracks fixed up I will look into the steering levers. Maybe an adjustment or filters plugged. Any help from the group with ideas of what to check would be very welcome.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 10:07pm
I have been around crawlers 60+ years and never heard the term "track release housing" so you lost me. But reading on I thinking your meaning the final drive housing,no effect on steering unless you have things real bad in there,like big bearing and gears failing and jamming up. Big debates on what weight oil to run there. I have always used 90# or 140#,think dad put 240# in a old K that leaked real bad. Only one day I remember we didn't get up to above freezing,so you have a lot colder so thinner may be better.

All the old crawlers need brake on ever turn until you have a load. Get it out of the yard where you can make a mess and drop the blade and pull the steering clutch and see what happens. The another test is pull both steering clutches (if the hydraulic booster lets you),if they release it should stop. Also if you have hill go up it and release a clutch and it should turn without brake,but you have a load. Your in  this deep if they didn't come with tractor buy the service manual,operator book,and parts book for your machine. Make sure to get the books for your serial number,even if poor reprints.

Hopefully there is room to remove the track adjusting cylinder without taking track apart,because that becomes real work. 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 12:21am
Had several hd6's over the years, always used the brakes when turning. Congrats on your new purchase.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 21 Aug 2017 at 12:22am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 5:43am
Biggest issue with the hydraulic clutches as I have been told is heat, or corruption or spline region/tooth erosion where the plates do not disengage fully so do not disengage until brake is used.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 7:03am
Thank you for responding Ray 54. On my HD16 the "track release" is connected to the track adjustment. If you are standing facing the tracks it is connected as part of the track tensioner. It's to the rear of the track and the adjustment piston and the end of the adjustment rod connects to it. It's a covered unit with a fill plug on it. One on each track on the frame and requires 4.5 gallons of 90# oil in it. I have the parts book and operators manuals that came with the tractor. Ordered a shop manual already. Not sure what it does. Thank you again for responding.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 8:59am
Thank you D miller. I have to admit that this is the oldest piece of equipment I have ever owned. A 1961 unit. On the smaller dozers i mentioned prior, they were all smaller of course less than a 100hp and all in the early 70's. i would be relieved if this is standard on this dozer to react very little on using the steering levels with a no load and blade in the air. I will get this in the field and push some dirt to see how they react. Like I said, I loaded it on the lowboy for the hauler as he was unfamiliar with this unit. I laughed at him as I was only on once myself and only ran it a short distance. Got it up on like a champ however using the steering levels and brake pedals.

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 9:02am
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Had several hd6's over the years, always used the brakes when turning. Congrats on your new purchase.

Thank you very much. excited to play with her. I enjoy getting her cleaned up and checking all the bolts, fittings, hoses, fluids. Took a full day to really clean the tracks and UC. I don't think the previous owner every took a shovel to the tracks. Some of what is was taking off I had to use a maul and a chisel. Neglected. Glad to say this old girl will never sleep under the stars, rain or snow again. Got her in my barn.
Lewischaz1092 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewischaz1092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:47pm
http://www.hendersonmfgco.com/products/prod_hydra.htm. Lot of good under carriage parts weld on sprocket etc they are out of texas, I priced new hydraulic adjusters for my hd6 they were 500$ a side sure the hd16 will be more but seem to be a pretty good company to deal with
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Lewischaz1092 Lewischaz1092 wrote:

http://www.hendersonmfgco.com/products/prod_hydra.htm. Lot of good under carriage parts weld on sprocket etc they are out of texas, I priced new hydraulic adjusters for my hd6 they were 500$ a side sure the hd16 will be more but seem to be a pretty good company to deal with

thank you very much. Great Intel.    

Biggest challenge is finding a source of parts and help. Like this forum. Thanks again.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 4:27pm
They're dedicated Allis guys and they'll do anything they can to aggravate the big guys.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 8:10pm
We ARE THE BIG GUYS! Lolol
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 8:15pm
Brand new adjusters. For HD16 is $1,222.00 for a pair shipped. Said to be a swap in. Comes complete.

A little pricey for me right now but I will go for it if I cannot get my current ones in shape.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic