This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School me on cost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School me on cost
    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:00pm
Ok, So my interest is producing Ear corn for sale.

IF:

1 acre of field corn yields 150 bushel

1 (70# Bag) Bushel of ear corn goes for let's say $20 (Is this far off? TSC Sells a 15 Lb. bag for $8.00)

That's $3,000

Deducting about $500 in inputs (Seed, spray, machinery)

Maybe about another $300 in bags, transport fuel, Etc...?

Looking at $2,200 per acre Net?

Is this even close, what am I missing? I am not sure about the 150 bushel per acre yield though. I know good field corn is around 200 bushel an acre, but how does that equate out to field picked corn? Also, The corn rows would be wider around 30" than some farmers today planting at 20" Spacing.

Thanks for the help, just rough penciling an idea. School me guys! Thanks!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:15pm
Labor and time, will someone buy it all at once or slowly over time, storage, mice and rodents love this stuff.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 1:11pm
First  you have to have that $20/bu. market!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 1:19pm
Most of these ventures end in big failure. Too many things can and do go wrong. As nella(Pa) states, Gotta have a positive market BEFORE getting into it!---Also storage and delivery are problems.
I had over an acre this year and could not give it away, so I ended up plowing it under! thanks; ac fleet
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 2:55pm
You want to advertise it a squirrel or deer feed 
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 3:18pm
I feed most of what I grow.
It has a feed replacement cost that = app $10.00/bu.
Plus my sheep get 60 days or more of grazing the corn fields with the stockpiled pasture.
I want to leave 10-20 bu/ac on the ground for them.
By late Dec, my sheep (160+ ewes ) are fat.
What I sell is priced at app shell corn + $0.50 more per bu.
My out of pocket cost runs app $1.50/bu.
Yes, I know very well, that is not the total cost for the corn.
They are farmers here in KY raising/selling 10,000 - 20,000 bu each year.
ac fleet, if you was trying to get someone to come and pick just one acre, I can see your problem. I would not drive my uni over a mile for just one acre. The drive would be  longer than it would take to pick it.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 1:19pm
I had this picked and in the wagon, all they had to do is come get it!--No takers, so I dumped it back on the ground and plowed it under. --I have a NI 310 one row picker.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 3:58pm
Don, here is the point we are all missing.
What is it worth to you, to get to use your AC tractor, with your AC corn picker to pick the corn?
You could charge $25/row to let people pick one row, just for fun. Maybe give them a ear or two also.
Your forum member special could be " pick two rows for $50 and get 5 ears of corn".
If you go this route, remember to plant the rows the short way across the field. 
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:44pm
Not sure people would pay that to pick corn, but I just figured I would maybe get ideas then pencil out to see if there is profit with picked corn. I just would love to use this orange pickin machine instead of it sitting in the barn.

Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 5:15pm
Don, I have people stop by all the time to help out on my farm.
Most of the time they bring their kids to show them what it like.
This sq baling hay, shearing sheep, etc. that they help with. Not just stopping by to visit a farm.
I have not started charging them yet, but sometimes they will leave a bottle KY springwater that has been aged in a oak barrel.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 7:44pm
I always sold ear corn, whole stalks, cracked corn, shelled corn, when I grew it. didn't take the whole field worth, but added good $$$ to the rest of it. and usually in cash. ear corn for squirrels, corn stalks for holloween décor, cracked corn for wild bird feed, whole kernel corn for corn stoves. then took what was left over to the elevator. I don't know how many acres you are talking about. or if you have good safe storage? lots of hobby places will buy cobs too
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 7:02am
I think the same kind of thing when I see a bale hay at the hardware store for $12. I think I can sell it for half that and I’m sitting on a gold mine!

The reality is, we farmers don’t get the foot traffic hence we don’t have the market.

Now with the deer feeding ban, I lost half the market of the few bags of corn and 2 nd or 3 rd cut hay. Good luck to you, hopefully something works out.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 12:32am
T-Bone, advertise in the local paper or craigs list, after they buy your stuff they can do what ever they want with it, you have no control on that. I found some real good green leafy alfalfa at $10. a small square bale, I bought 15 bales to get me thru the winter feeding the goat, also bought out wally worlds bagged cracked corn at $3. a bag, was called deer corn...it's n ow goat corn! if it's nice stuff, people will come and buy it, but they gotta know where it'
s at!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:38pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic