This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Satellite TV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Satellite TV
    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 3:12pm
Have been with Direct for a number of years, $45 discount ends at the end of this month and  they want to almost double their price for one of their basic packages but after an hour on the phone they agreed to cut the price by about $15. Thinking of going with Dish even if I wind up paying about the same but I will be getting new equipment. I am sure once I say cancel they will come up with a better deal but I will already have Dish scheduled to come out. Whatever happened to taking care of your loyal customers? All I need is a basic package without all the crap added in. Any pros or cons for either one of these two thieves? Thanks in advance.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 3:48pm
With some issues I am having with a wife that gets Boob Tube fixated and leaving the world pass by I may go back to a conventional HD Antenna and some five or six Basic channels.
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 3:54pm
I got a $30 antenna and on a good day, if you play with it, you can get 30+ channels.
Most of the time, I leave it set to the one place that gets 10-12 channels, most of the time.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 4:05pm
If you have DSL or Cable internet, you can go with Roku or a choice of others. When I had dish I couldn't get them to change my billing cycle from the middle of the month to the end or beginning. I left Direct for the same reasons you are. I also liked the dish for the TiVo that came in the plan, but I'm sure a soon as that machine wore out they would not have another.

Edited by chaskaduo - 22 Sep 2019 at 4:10pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 4:55pm
I have DirecTV and once a year they jack up the price.  I call them and they give me a "Loyalty" price and it comes back down to what it was.

I just got a Fire TV Stick and Amazon Prime.  Watched it all night last night.  Trouble with those attachments is you can't get local channels.  And I gotta have Direct or Dish to get the international package for the wife.

I also need Direct for hockey on Fox sports.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 4:59pm
we went back to cable. got tired of losing picture everytime a thunderstorm was overhead.
was a loyal AT&T customer for over 35 years. when they bought DirecTV, customer service and pricing when down the crapper.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 9:02pm
I have DISH now... They have a BASIC package for $40. that has a few movie channels, a couple news channels, and a couple cartoon channels... about 40 channels total......... on top of that I pay $10. for Network  channels, $10. for several more NEWS channels (FOX), and $10. for 6 cartoon channels for the grandkids... $70. total including tax.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 9:05pm
The wife has the Amazon Prime thing, probably a good thing I don't know how much it costs, and to keep the peace, I really don't try to find out.
Maximum use of available resources!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 9:14pm
Steve, that is about the price I am looking at for Dish. 

I live too far from major markets and in a bad reception area so an over the air antenna would not work for me.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:17pm
I do have over the air antenna, but get about 6 channels and only 1 is Network.. Wife will not stand for that........ and the internet is DSL over the old phone line.. Works OK for computer, but cant stream movies or use for the TV....... So DISH it is.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:21pm
What we have is called FLEX PACK......... but you can get even more BASIC if you just want 20 channels to watch and cant get antenna coverage.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 7:23am
Steve(ill) I have DSL landline and I use Roku, it streams to my TV via wifi on the modem. Roku provides a receiver to plug into the TV. Easy Peasy if I can do it. I only subscribe to Netflix, but their are a whole lot of others to choose from, including Top ones like HBO. there is also subscription paks like Sling etc. I really just use the freebie channels there are a lot of em. They don't have local over the air yet but I hear it's coming.
Starting at $30 for the unit,  Premium Subscription extra.

I also use a over the air HD digital antenna and use my source input on my remote to select it or Roku or.

Edited by chaskaduo - 23 Sep 2019 at 7:25am
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 7:40am
Hubert, Direct knows they have us hooked cus of the 4 cell phone package combined.

I wish I had the freedom to switch back and forth.  Then you do not have to haggle.  It amazes me on how they treat the loyal customers the worst and the new the best.

And like you said, new equp also.

Let us know how it went.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 8:06am
I have a good friend who switches back and forth from Dish to Direct . He claims he can get a real good deal for about 2 years and then the price goes up . He pays a lot less than I do . His wife is on disability so meeting the service tech is no issue. I have a heck of a time to meet them . My boss is a pain (self employed).

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 23 Sep 2019 at 8:06am
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 12:24pm
I have the ROKU and subscribe to YouTubeTV which give me the national and local channels. Actually my daughter and SIL pay for the service and I use their account so for me it's free. We do pay for Netflix and we were already Amazon Prime members so we get Prime Video. Other daughter has Hulu and again I use her account so that is free for me also. We went from paying $150 a month with Dish to about $30/month now. Even if we. Paid for all of the subscriptions it would be half of what we used to pay.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 2:57pm
I just got Amazon Prime, if you pay for a year it figures out to about 9.90 a month, I think it's 12 by the month.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 8:17am
Update - decided to switch to Dish. They offered a better price for two years plus a $300 gift card. Apparently a lot of customers in this area are switching, they are over two weeks behind on installations. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 9:54pm
have heard some have had trouble collecting on the $300...  no personal experience in that.  Have had DISH for 10 years.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 9:57pm
I have 30+ chanells on antenna TV. Only watch public television anymore.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 6:55pm
I am going back to dish was sold on Direct Tv by a lying AT&T manager and sold me stuff I did not realize put on an NFL package that was $300 dollars and on auto renew  My wife pays the bills and is vision impaired.  By the time I realized what had happened I was on the hook for $250 of it and never watched one game  Spent 2 hours on the phone with them jacka$$e$ and never received any satisfaction.  Their customer service sucks and you can not talk to any higher ups they just keep rotating you the Can't speak good English routine.  We are going back to dish next week. 
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:14pm
About 6 months ago I bought an antenna for my local channels. got Netflix to watch movies. dish was 112 a month. called them and told them I wanted to cancel my service as the only thing I needed was local channels. the guy said he would provide the dish network for 7.99 a month for local channels. I said okay I can do that. so I saved 104 bucks a month for the last 6 months. did pay an extra 12 bucks for faster internet so still a huge savings. the problem with dish and all the rest they start raising there prices to there loyal customers but not giving them any better programs. I was with direct several years. they did the same thing and thats why I switched. your insurance companies do the same thing. they raise your rates just a little every six months.thats why every 3 years you should shop around for insurance. got a bank cd that they always seem to renew at a lower rate. call them like a new customer and see what you can get. might surprise you. im thinking real seriously about getting some one to install my antenna and getting red of satellite tv.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:26pm
antenna works good if your in the right area and close to town... We live 50 miles from the city that has 3 TV stations.... 3-4 more stations at 70 miles away..... Antenna is not the best for us......... and to use Netflix or similar you need a HIGH SPEED INTERNET.. Don't have that either so DISH is the only alternative.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 6:35am
Steve, don't it just suck to live out in the boonies.  Wink

I am in the same boat and would not trade it for anything.

Oh, and and thanks for the update Hubert.

Edited by Dave H - 06 Oct 2019 at 6:37am
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:13am
I had Dish for many years and got tired of every time I had to haggle over price by threatening to leave! 220 channels and I watched 5 ! I felt like hiring an attorney when I got my Divorce from them as they didn't want me to leave but would not come up with a price or package I liked. Really have not missed Dish. Any news I want I can get from the Internet as I like to read not have some talking heads tell me what I'm supposed to know! I watch movies on Netflix or Amazon prime. As I stated before I really don't miss Dish Network!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:43am

and to keep the peace, I really don't try to find out.

LOLLOL,,,thas funny,,,,!!!!LOL
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:49pm
I am lucky in that i'm within range for an outdoor antenna.  I also have high speed internet.   I just ditched Spectrum (Time Warner) for all services but internet.   I have a free hulu acct (part of my sprint phone package), and prime, but very rarely use either. 
I did sign up for Philo at $20 a month, and this gives me all of the cable channels i used to watch.  Went from a bill of $160 a month down to $70.    I am quite happy with this, and don't miss cable a bit.   There's also a FREE service called pluto.tv that has a lot of programming, though no major channels.  I do use it some. 
I would highly recommend looking into these.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:43pm
Yes Pluto's good, also Tubi if you can get it.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:45pm
Just ordered what is supposed to handle our little area as to signal strength, had a special on them which usually does not bode well but worth a try. Sick of Direct and Dish Satellite services, sick of the $90/month TV bill, get it knocked down from time to time arguing to leave them forever but now just do not care for the Cost. If can get three to five Local Channels I am good with nothing else.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic