This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

safety lock on raised hyd. cyl.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: safety lock on raised hyd. cyl.
    Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 7:52pm
I am about to pull the front grill and frame of track loader in order to remove the radiator for repair or replace. I was just wondering what system others have used to block the loader bucket and frame in raised position to allow safe work on removal. thanks
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 8:34pm
Piece of angle iron, cut to length, and hose clamped over the cyl rod should do the trick...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 8:52pm
I welded 2 pcs of 2by2 angle into a U channel. Then welded couple of washers 1/2 way on one end. U-channel slides over the ram shaft, and  a PTO clip goes through the holes of the washers to safely secure U-channel from falling off.
I use these to keep the bucket from lowering itself to the ground.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:10pm
thanks guys. I thought about piece of round pipe with section cut out to slide over rod and u bolt to secure it, all great ideas.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 12:14am
If it has a good heavy brush cab like my HD6G's did I would raise it all the way then use 2 heavy chains to bind it up. Please Notice I said 2 chains. My bucket was very heavy. Always worked for me.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 24 Feb 2018 at 12:14am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:26am
On my 7G the bucket was too heavy where I was actually seeing distortion on home made cylinder supports. I chose to unpin the bucket as well just supporting the arms.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:58am
If you use the angle iron or other stop over the cilinder rod - be sure the packing gland on cylinder is not part of support system - a adjustable packing gland like on HD5B will distort or crush packing material if force is put against it . 
 I have used 4x4 timbers under raised bucket as well as chanel iron clamped over rod . 
Seems on dump trucks any time a box is raised 2 types of stops are used under box to prevent lowering . 
 Was a nice feature on my New Holland 785 Skid Loader - they had a built in boom safety stop behind seat to prevent boom lowering to pinch or kill zone 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 11:36am
I believe I will chain lift to the ROP canopy and place the backhoe dig boom under the boom also. Plus angle iron for fail safe also. better safe than dead.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 11:38am
Thanks to all for the good response. This site is certainly the place to ask questions.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:00pm
The folks on this forum are the best.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 11:41pm
Well I chained loader across canopy, set 4 x 4 post under raised frame, and put backhoe boom under loader also. I think that will work ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic