This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round-About ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round-About ??
    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 5:40pm
Are there round-about intersections in the state of Minnesota ?? I approached one "here" that had a vehicle with MN plates(on the front bumper) that was holding 25 cars up because they refused to merge into the circle LOLLOLLOL !! I witnessed them having MULTIPLE chances to get going, yet they stayed put Confused. Just curious if these intersections are in the state of MN Wink.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 7:13pm
Are in MO now, and about the same conditions of idiots that do not understand them. Learned of them in England long ago.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 7:33pm
They are so simple to use, the plan is traffic never stops,, but some people are difficult to change , which is so dam dumb,,, JMO
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 8:16pm
Lots of them in Mn.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:23pm
NE is putting in more and more of them all over. one here locally isn't big enough and there are alot of semi's that roll over in them, then you get a person that gets cornfused and they turn left into the circle instead of staying to the right!.  on place they put them in a new housing area, to small for fire trucks to get thru them, they had to get tore out and made larger.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:15pm
I hate round-abouts, can’t stand em.
There is a couple spots here in Midland TX where the past mayor lobbied for them. Got the budget passed, bought the houses on the land ( of course now all those parcels are removed from the tax rolls). Now the land sits bare.
Round - abouts take up much more land than a 4-way intersection.
I hate them.
Can’t stand curved, squgilly streets in sub- divisions that are developed on perfectly flat terrain.
Did I mention I hate round-abouts?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:39pm
Lars, what do you really think about roundabouts? LOL

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 11:05pm
🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 11:19pm
i am one of those that has diffaculty with change
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:40am
ah roundabouts... a city planner's dream, a driver's nightmare....

IDIOTS up here spent 8 million for a roundabout instead of 500K for a small road and a traffic light. Now there's THREE traffic lights,confusing signs and chaos...

IDIOTS up here put two in a row, 1.25 miles apart and removed 2 traffic lights. Traffic is now 3-4 times slower, jams up at rushhours...

IDIOTS spent 10 million on another new roundabout. Took less than a week to be 'tire scarred' by the 53' trailer big rigs that have be around for 15-20 years (or more ).

saw a driver enter at 6 oclock, wanted to go to 9 oclock exit so she TURNED LEFT to get to the exit instead of going 'round the roundabout' .THAT was funny really though the mess that created was HUGE. No one hurt fortunately.

I pity the people who need to get to the diagonally opposite side of any roundabout. It's a LOT of scary walking.....especially if you've got a stoller and small children...

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:01am
ClusterForks are going in here everywhere as well. As said, very few have room enough for a tractor-trailer (I deliberately let the trailer wheels go in the grass) and NONE of them should have PASSING zones. When I was making deliveries into some of the new developments I saw that they are getting even smaller and many times the loaded truck would crack the concrete the curb.  One of the local clusterforks with passing zones has had a humongus ugly rusting steel sculpture put in the center to keep people from driving straight through. Another area closed an intersection for the biggest part of last year to put in a huge two lane clustorfork that previously had 4 way stop signs. I had never seen more than a couple cars at once any time I ever went through there. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:05am
Works fine for average to moderate traffic, and everyone knows where their going, and do the proper yielding. If not, FORGETABOUTIT.

When traffic is up for shift changes in the area, remember this is a 1st ring suburb, FORGETABOUTIT. 

Any fender benders, FORGETABOUTIT.

Looks good on paper, but FORGETABOUTIT.

Two Roundy's with a Semi Roundy between.

Edited by chaskaduo - 27 Jun 2020 at 2:29pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:12pm
Hi all if you love roundabouts so much you are going to wet you pants over the roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe in Paris France 11 roads on to the roundabout and 7+ lanes of traffic on the roundabout at anytime well there is no lanes I have a photo taken from a bus we were on with 8 cars at right angles to the bus. No insurance company will cover you if you are on the roundabout
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:35pm
Kiwi, you brought back a memory with that one as i got stuck in it and it took me forever to get out, absolutely crazy and they were hauling a$$ to boot.
Did not help that I started laughing so hard as it seemed everyone was driving little "clown cars" like me, I was in a rental Fiat Topolino. Italy is worse than France IMO, just crazy little go karts and laying on that damned horn constantly and yelling at each other.
Had a few interesting discussions with folks overseas as they had visited the US and rented vehicles for sightseeing trips. A friend from France relayed how he almost got his a$$ kicked by laying on the horn whenever he got into heavy traffic.
In some countries, seems they can't drive without a working horn but my favorite was a fella in Germany who just could not understand why people in the US would not move over when he came up behind them and flashed his high beams.
Said he was pulled over by a very large black cop that explained it to him very politely.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:41pm
On the Paris thing, rode through there in a taxi, thought we were all going to die-no contact but it had to be very close, works for them-not sure how?  A lot of fun at night.
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:44pm
Yes, there are lots of roundabouts here in MN, the DOT loves them. And people still don't know how to drive through them....
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

I hate round-abouts, can’t stand em.
There is a couple spots here in Midland TX where the past mayor lobbied for them. Got the budget passed, bought the houses on the land ( of course now all those parcels are removed from the tax rolls). Now the land sits bare.
Round - abouts take up much more land than a 4-way intersection.
I hate them.
Can’t stand curved, squgilly streets in sub- divisions that are developed on perfectly flat terrain.
Did I mention I hate round-abouts?
Are you going threw them in a semi tractor with a 53' trailer ?? If it's a 3/4 ton P/U, you really need to get to a doctor LOL!!! EASY /PEASY if you understand that "yield" does NOT!!!! mean STOP !!! Now that I read your reply in full, you must have had some "frontage" taken away from you ??
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:37pm
We have tons of them here.  The worst is where they put two abutted to each other.  And it's at an Eway interchange.  There's another one on the other side of the Eway.  So if you go straight thru, there are three in a row.  I was approaching one when I saw one of those folks that wanted to go from 3 to 6 the wrong way.  Fortunately there was no other traffic so I just stopped and let them go about their business.  The only problem I have with them are the folks that don't understand what that triangular sign means!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:01pm
I know how to use them. I don’t like them because they are incredibly expensive to put in, and maintain. Just way to much average taken by the roads dept.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:13pm
Thanks for the reply, Other than the 18 wheeler's that take them on a NO SEMI route and run their trailers tandems up and over the "honeycomb" center completely destroying the pavers(still can't believe the trailer didn't roll Wink),don't see the $$ to maintain ?
Sadly, it's a "little" comical seeing the aftermath of a vehicle that made NO attempt to turn right and went straight and airborne Tongue. The oil/coolant stains on the "other side" still makes me CRINGE OuchCry
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:48pm
I have a trust issue when in them lol. Scared the cars coming into them aren't going to slow up.
Now one thing that I don't like is trying to pull out of a side street or driveway near a round a bout, the flow of traffic never stops.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 8:42am
The best thing about the roundabout is that it replaces one of the most loathsome ideas to ever come out of a human mind. I hate 'traffic signals' with a passion.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 10:46am
Want an even BETTER Thrill? Come to the Midwest, where "Diverging Diamond" intersections are the NEW Craze, driving on the WRONG Side of the road!!!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Want an even BETTER Thrill? Come to the Midwest, where "Diverging Diamond" intersections are the NEW Craze, driving on the WRONG Side of the road!!!!

I think I know of what you speak, but didn't know the name. Is that like at a On/Off ramp system, where you and the oncoming are....how to say, sort of each turning left to the left of each other? First couple times I saw them in Detroit area, whew!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 11:51am
Had no problem driving all over Europe even a 90 pax bus. The ones in Minnesota are to small and the drivers are inexperanced and don't have a clue where they are going. The double circle of death outside ryhiad AB was a challenge but that's they way all driving in Saudi was.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 1:26pm
They are not built for the "KNOW IT ALL THINKING PEOPLE"
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
1951WDNWWI View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1951WDNWWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 10:01pm
Diverging diamonds?  Got them in Minnesota near Fort Snelling National Cemetery.  The map even has arrows on it to show you how to drive thru it.

Edited by 1951WDNWWI - 27 Jun 2020 at 10:02pm
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 6:53am
Va. has one of those diverging Diamonds at Haymarket,Va.  (US15 & I-66). It is truly more screwed up than a Clusterfork. It has a traffic light at every cross point and not one is synchronized with any other, so you stop 4 times to get through on every trip. Traffic engineers can come up with some screwed up ways that we must deal with every day.  They need to actually have to drive some of the screwed up ideas that they design on a daily basis. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:06am
re: They need to actually have to drive some of the screwed up ideas that they design on a daily basis.

hahahahahahha....
have an 'engineer'' ACTUALLY have to USE what he 'engineered' ????

hahahahahahha

Oh yeah IDIOTS up here have a /4 cloverleaf and ALL traffic that needs to get onto the highway via the missing '4th leaf' HAVE to go through downtown that has TWO roundabouts !!!

hey wonder WHY traffic in the 'core' is soooo bad ????
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:15pm
They also have 2 more of them "Diverging Diamonds" a couple miles west of the Fort Snelling / Airport one on each side of 494 & 35W. Lyndale Ave and Penn Ave exits.

Edited by chaskaduo - 28 Jun 2020 at 1:17pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic