This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rotary Seeders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotary Seeders
    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:47pm
Growing up, we had a Cyclone brand rotary seeder we used to frost seed clover in the winter. It mounted on back of tractor and ran off the pto.

Is there a modern era version anyone can recommend? A good, better, best? Herd? Fimco? Any others?

Just finished seeding 6 acres with clover and lespedeza the old school, hard way. In coming years, that may expand to 40 or more acres. That would be a lot to seed by hand.
Sponsored Links

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 8:40pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 11:01pm
I'VE SEEN ones like Klinemar selling at most farm stores, i have one 2 wheel drive model that i pull behind my 6 wheeler, also used it to plant/seed 10 acres of alfalfa, dunno what brand it is but i bought it at a farm store. holds about 2 bu. 
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 12:21am
Our local fertilizer company had a few made by Lightfoot. They are pull type that held 2 bu of material and spread a 25 ft pattern. They first started using them for top dressing wheat, pulling them with 4 wheelers one year when it was real muddy and nothing else could go across the fields. Later they got used for seeding CRP ground and deer plots. Great low maintenance spreaders and can be loaded in the back of a pickup for long distance moves.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 5:20am
I have a 12 volt electric seeder that bolts to the hitch of my Kubota RTV. It holds a bushel of seed. I can't tell you what make it is as I have owned it years and the only sticker left on it is the spread setting! The Kubota is handy as you can put bags of seed in the bed and easy to get in and out.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 12:27pm
We have been happy with a Herd one bushel 12v electric. Used on a side by side or 4 wheeler. Both have receiver hitches, so made a frame that spreader is bolted to just slide it into receiver. Then a small ratchet straps to keep it from flopping around in the receiver. 

I would not want to big acres without bigger. But 40 acres if it was 10 to 20 pounds per acre would not be terrible.

Wink I did wondered if you going to speak bad of Gleaner combines with the title.LOL I do have to defend the reputation of the Silver Seeders.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 1:07pm
Modirt, you might try your local coop that have a few smaller fertilizer buggies which might be borrowed? I remember some ground driven buggies had a 40' spread. That spread volume MIGHT enable you to adjust its door & chain speed?? If so, then combine it with an inexpensive wasp GPS light-bar, installed on whatever you pull it with (4wd pickup,tractor?).
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 8:12am
Last fall, I talked to Coop and they said they had good success mixing seed with fall fertilizer, so we did that to overseed some fields with timothy. But that was a lot of material going out the gate. Spreader being 200X larger than what I'm looking for.

Frost seeding legumes is a smaller volume deal. The old Cyclone probably held 2 Bu seed at most. Most similar I have found to that is the Herd M12.

An ATV version is probably a good alternative, as it can get over some wet ground without doing much damage or bogging down. But I don't have one of those or Polaris or Mule type. Neighbors on both sides of me have golf carts, but I don't have one of those either.

Mine would be going on the D15........and needs to be used when ground is frozen hard to avoid ruts. And by definition, that is when frost seeding takes place.

Probably a lot of these perfectly good old seeders still out there in the back of barns. Finding one ought to be easy, but so far, not much luck.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 8:16am
One guy told me of a creative method for frost seeding pastures. He mixed the seed with grain and fed it to his cattle......said it was not harmed  by a trip through the digestive tract.........and then let the cattle spread it all over the place. Didn't sound very precise.....but in a general sort of way......might work.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 8:27am
And to Ray.....nope......not speaking bad of the old Gleaners. Back in the late 70's, I ran an L2 for a couple harvest seasons.  I always though of them as portable seed cleaners.

Guy I worked for had several hundred acres of Certified Seed wheat to harvest one summer, and didn't think I could get over all of it in a timely manner, so he hired some neighbors to help custom cut it. They had an IH and a JD. A month later, where they had been looked like a chia pet. My part was clean.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic