This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

road drag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: road drag
    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:02am
anyone on here build their own drag to smooth out their gravel road? my grader operator has no concept of how to grade a road.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:05am
Most grader men use a Scarifier edge on the main blade to drag up the packed rock and restore to a Bowl of Marbles, never have figured that out as to why. I use a Landscaper drag rake, can get or make wheel kit for depth control and set to angle to restore crown cut ditch bank.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:28am
The late farmer from across the road would drag a set of tractor tire chains, up and down his laneway EVERY Sunday after church until brunch was ready, and he always had a GREAT driveway. The hydro employee who bought the farm hasn't figured how how to do it after 14-16 years....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:44am
around here they use the scarifier to fix the washboard at intersections and stop signs. idiot that grades our road with his fancy caterpillar grader has never used it here in the 15 yrs we've lived here. like the tractor chain idea.
LOADER
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 11:13am
Another cheap one is a couple combine rattle chains hooked together, the longer the better.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 12:43pm
Sale barn west of here used to have a bunch of chain link fence clamped to a heavy pipe with a cross tie on top for weight  to keep the rock parking lot smooth , The lot was bout 8 acres. I would think that after you got the road smooth to start with, it wouldnt be hard to keep it that way with regular passes.
A buddy of mine found an old homemade drag to work his 1/4 mile drive. It's just made from a bunch of worn out grader blades welded together and set at different angles and did have hand lift, which he converted to hyd. cyl. lift. ---I use a F-cub with a blade mounted under the little tractor. It does great for scratching the top, but no go for serious re-grading unless you spend a lot of time.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 12:44pm
Large I beam or a length or railroad rail drug sideways

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 11 Apr 2019 at 12:44pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 12:57pm
Trace , is this a public road ? Someone from Michigan posted a long time ago he used to go out and smooth, grade rock road in front of his house. There was an an accident involving some teenagers flying down the road at high speed. He was worried that someone would realise he was the one smoothing out the road and it might open him up for a liability. He stopped grading road after that . Sad the world is ruled by lawyers , just saying
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:16pm
Trace!! I thought this was your drive, NOT public road!---IF public road do NOT do anything  out there on it!!! You could be arrested by your local road people! Around here that is the way it works! Last winter I almost went to jail for pushing snow away from the end of my drive that the stupid county dumped in there. I had no where to go with it so I started a pile on the road ditch and it got over to the edge of the pavement before I got done. I had it 12' high with the skidloader and later that day county cops arrived due to a complaint from the county highway department about me creating a traffic hazard . --- These guys here are REAL azzholes, so you might want to be careful out there!!!
Country is going nuts!! Good luck! Thanks ; ac fleet
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:42pm
Yeah, as said, don't touch a public road, even as bad as you'd like to.  It is against the law here in MI.  Probably most states, liability centered laws.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 3:45pm
The only way you could touch a public road is to go ask your road commissioner and be hired by him to do it.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
rrhead(SD) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrhead(SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:43pm
I've been using a raddle chain out of my L3 for many years. Does the job for me. rrhead(SD)
2 WDs,WD45,D-14,D-17,D-19D,180,7020,6080FWA,6080 2wd, 6080 2wd(cab),8050FWA,8550,4W-305,Massey 8250. Gleaner L3, R62 &R65 Agco-Allis 1616H & 1920H, AC 720, Terra-Tiger
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 9:20pm
Years ago, my father in law made a pull type grader out of an old truck frame. Stripped the frame down to just the two main rails and crossmembers, bolted a cutting edge onto the one rail, and put a cable on it to pull it (sideways). We still use it and it works great! Darrel
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 12:43am
we use the old field harrows. the like 5x5 ft sections. always seem to suck when the hyd on my tractor would fail in certain places on the road. lol a couple years ago a local farmer used his road drag behind his 1950's year tractor, with a 3-pt. it's one of them red ones, think it was a "DRpower" that is advertised for small acreages, did a fantastic job, he did the road from section to section, sure beat the jobs that the county and their 1/4 million dollar road grader did! and it lasted!
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 7:16am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

a couple years ago a local farmer used his road drag behind his 1950's year tractor, with a 3-pt. it's one of them red ones, think it was a "DRpower" that is advertised for small acreages, did a fantastic job, he did the road from section to section, sure beat the jobs that the county and their 1/4 million dollar road grader did! and it lasted!

Sometimes it not the equipment but the operator
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 3:25pm
yeah...training operators in this county is about nil, they show how to start it, and then turn them loose in the yard to play for a couple days, then turn them loose on our roads. PffffT!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 1:26am
There's three really bad boils in my path between my driveway and the county blacktop to the south.  One of them is hidden just past the crest of the hill when coming north, and it's bad enough so that all the farmers with 4wd trucks drive AROUND it... there's ruts 2' deep between crests 18" tall... enough so that the school busses get stuck going through it... yet the county has no intention of pounding a load of 3" rock into it... their answer was "running gravel trucks on it does more damage than good"...  well, they've already dumped a bunch of rock on the areas that DON'T NEED IT... Unhappy
Couple sections of chain-link fence with a couple pieces of well casing wired to it make a fine gravel drag.

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 7:53am
Dave, sounds like you have frost boils. Other cause would be water standing in the ditch next to the road. Tis the season. Once the frost is all out, should get better. Yes a load of rock would help firm them up. But, like the county said, right now the trucks would do more damage than good. If they wait till it dries then blade it down and lay a couple loads of gravel over it and let traffic pack it all summer, it shouldn't be near as bad next year. Not the perfect fix, but, does help a lot. For ten years with previous jobs, I spent the month of June graveling township roads with a belly dump trailer.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:17am
Here is the drag that came with my D17 when I bought it.  It's made for a snap coupler setup. I've been using it for a few years now and it seems to do a good job.

I've got it on my second WD that was given to me last fall with a bad engine.  I happened to have a spare WD engine and a better radiator around and put 'er in and it's turned out to be a real good tractor!!  Everything works, genny even charges
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 3:30pm
good lookin drag. gonna make something this year.
LOADER
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 11:29pm
Dad gum, who hires your road "engineers". The boys we have here are Great. But the only thing on the road they gots to grade is a lotta dirt mixed with a little rock. County supervisors are directly to blame for this. They spent over a million dollars on an old bank building just so they could have new offices. Bank building was worth less than $90000.00. There are 3 of these clowns, all from within the city limits. We have been trying to get this changed IE 1 from each corner of the county and 1 from that represents the cites and towns.
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:06am
just the grader operator tom. some of them are masters at the job, but this guy just don't seem to get it after over 10 years on the job. as far as wasting money. our city of 10,000 just bought an old bank building for a city hall and are putting 4.5 mil into it to get it ready while our streets are full of potholes. gotta get priorities straight, lol.
LOADER
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 11:43am
WinkBe careful what you wish for.LOL Over educated big city raised government jacka$$ AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry. Thankfully only in town so far,CryCryCry any new pavement come with obstacles in the middle of the road. One piece in town they put a ditch with rocks trees and plain old brush right down the middle. Was a nice wide street with parking both sides. In a hard rain it could run some water but never got into buildings. Now bicycle lane a narrow traffic lane ditch and the auto and bicycle lanes.Confused

Another they going to make parking down the middle of the street.ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused People are watching more after the other messes they have made. So this may be stopped,ConfusedAngry but bureaucrats are hard to stop.

This is pushed with grant money from the federal government. Which has stringes to the United Nations which wants us to be just ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused  another third world country.From something called Agenda 21.

Edited by Ray54 - 16 Apr 2019 at 11:47am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 1:01am
Douglas Co NE road dept puts on a school for other counties/cities on how to properly grade roads. been doing this for 40 years. is a very good school (a few days) worth. maybe talk to your county supts and try that?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 1:02am
last blizzard we had here, the city was busy clearing off a recreational walking path in and outside of the city, before they started clearing the streets! PffffT!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:40am
I used to grade all of the gravel roads for 2 townships way back in time. They even had me grade up the ditches and core new roads for the new gravel. When it came time for blacktop to go on they had me put final grade just before it went on. All of the roads were graded and crowned just enough so water ran off without taking the gravel.  All of this was done with a 1956 Cat. 12 for Old town twp. and a 1962 Cat 12-e for Downs Twp.---That was before the fancy stuff they have now. You have to know what you are doing to run graders, and not everybody can do it. thanks; ac fleet

Edited by ac fleet - 17 Apr 2019 at 9:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic