This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring a tractor!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoring a tractor!!
    Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:14pm
When restoring a tractor, and wanting to really do it right, how do you guys clean a rear end housing that has 50 years of gunk all inside??? I would like to clean it really good, no one else will know, but I will!! Thanks, Ryan
Sponsored Links

Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:16pm
Parts solvent, a solvent brush, rags, air wand and time.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:23pm
I let the 35 WC drain for a couple weeks(thick black nasty lookin stuff). Then I pulled everything out of the housing and started scrubbing and mopping with diesel fuel and rags.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:24pm

Best way would be with a parts washer. If you are doing a full resto including paint, taking it to an automotive machine shop and getting it "hot-tanked" would clean everything inside and out pretty well, and remove most of the paint too. Not sure how much they would charge, but don't think it would be much.

Another idea would be electrolisys, which involves water, some iron rods, a suitable plastic container, a battery charger, and a few other common items. This will take all paint and grease off of anything. I'm not an authoruty on it, have never tried it, but there are some experts on here that should chime in and give you the details.
All of the other techniques I have used in the past(like an old wash pot, gas burner, and some Red devil lye) work well, but i'm not sure the EPA would like it. Hope this helps.
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:41pm
Its kinda like opening a time capsule!! You remove a cover that hasnt been off in fifty++ years, you don't know what you will find! Everything looks good, but covered with "Gunk"!!! Would like to clean the guts up alittle!! Ryan
Matt (Jordan,MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (Jordan,MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 12:35am
 I use variety of things. a parts washer or brake clean do work very good. I recently bought a hot pressure washer and this works good. If the gunk is really thick wipe it out witha rag first then wash it. If it is still greasey use some soap and scrub it with a brush and wash again. About the best soap to use is Simple Green. If you use it straight it will cut grease and Diesel soot.  Matt
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 6:56am
I had the same issue on my Oliver 60. I have a 3 gallon bench top parts washer that i sat on the floor under the drain plug. An extension hose with a brush and mineral spirits is all it took to wash all of the old stuff out.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
gary ny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 7:04am
I like to use laquire thinner .The price is not bad you put it in a paint gun a narrow down the pattern and you can reall y clean things up and it will evaporate fast . 
Don Buck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 7:17am
I am working on my 7th restore and I like to power wash then use a wire brush
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 9:27am
I've had good luck cleaning up the inside of engines using turpentine. (the real stuff, not the fake stuff)
Todd MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 7:40pm
I take every apart then scrape as much out as possible, then solvent and presser washer.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 8:21pm
My B had a big side cover on transaxle so I was able to pull that and clean well enough with kerosene.  I had filled a drained it a few times then just mopped up the palces that do not drain as well as I could.  Also pulled the PTO shaft out to clean back there as I recall. 
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 5:18am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic