This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 1948 Allis "C" need paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbragg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoring 1948 Allis "C" need paint
    Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 8:50am
I'm restoring my grandpa's 1948 Allis Chalmers C and I was wondering if anyone knew a good place were I can get the right color of paint. I was told not to buy it from Tractor Supply Co. and my neighbor just restored one last summer and had the paint custom made and it was the wrong color. But of course we didn't notice until the tractor was completed and we took it to the first show.
Sponsored Links

gottfriedb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gottfriedb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 8:56am
Good question bbragg.  I have a B that I would like to repaint and I was wondering the same thing.
My first tractor - 1955 B
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 9:05am
Try this,

Tractor Paint Codes (PPG)

If you’ve ever searched for the correct paint code on your piece of equipment then you know how frustrating that can be. Likewise when you visit your paint store and they don’t have any history for tractors and equipment. Hopefully, this may be helpful to some members.

PPG PAINT CODES
Allis Chalmers Cream----------------------------------8638
Allis Chalmers Cream (Beige) - Trim Color-------------23056
Allis Chalmers Earth Removing Equipment Yellow--------81233
Allis Chalmers Earth Removing Equipment Yellow--------81611 
Allis Chalmers Earth Removing Equipment Yellow--------81985 
Allis Chalmers Lift Truck Yellow----------------------81475
Allis Chalmers Persian Orange (Persian #1, so called)-60080
Allis Chalmers Persian Orange (Persian #2, so called)-60396
Allis Chalmers Orange---------------------------------60691
Allis Chalmers Tractor & Equipment Orange-------------60856
Allis Chalmers Yellow---------------------------------81330
Allis Chalmers Yellow---------------------------------81960
Allis Chalmers Yellow---------------------------------82373
Allis Chalmers Yellow---------------------------------82630
Allis Chalmers Black----------------------------------9000
Allis Chalmers Black----------------------------------9300
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 10:00am
Everything from 1930 to half way through 1960 should be Persian Orange #1 PPG number 60080.  This makes it easy to decide color on all A, B, C, CA, RC, WC, WD, WD45 since none of these were made outside this time frame.

I know that asking at most paint stores for just "Allis Chalmers orange" you will almost certainly get Corporate Orange unless you specify the paint code for the older colors.  Then your tractor will look red standing next to an original or one painted the right color.  You hear the color questions at every show when there is a row of WD45's and none of them are the same color.
Zyta View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 11:05am
When looking at these paint codes which of the yellows would have been used if the tractor was aquired by a County or State for commercial roadside usage grass cutting, grading etc..

Jim
EdK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 11:59am
I used Krylon, AC Orange, Tractor and Implement Spray Cans for my 1948, model C. From what I've been told it is a good match for Persian Orange #1. I hate to paint so spray cans are my limit. I can do small parts a few at one time. I did purchase an automotive urathane, (2 parts mix) for a top coat since I didn't like the "softness" of the Paint.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 2:24pm
I'm just finishing up a paint job on a 38 B that don't belong to me. The owner cleaned the cast iron and little parts and used TSC Valspar red oxide primer in rattle cans for primer on what he primed. I had a close match made to the accepted PPG code 60080 in Valspar Industrial, clear gloss base, alkyd enamel (AT LOWES) .  I have a Valspar ALKYD gloss enamel mixing formula to mix and match it again if anybody needs it.
   We together brushed and sprayed all the cast iron with 1 coat of the Valspar Alkyd to use as a base color coat for a final coat of PPG OMNI. It took a little over a quart with hardner. The Chassis came out very glossy and smooth with the OMNI topcoat. I used a half Gallon of PPG on the whole tractor including the sheetmetal by using the Alkyd Orange as a base coat under OMNI. This is the second tractor I painted this way.
    The sheetmetal got the full automotive treatment. Sandblasted and primed with OMNI Epoxy. Body work done and several coats of OMNI primer surfacer until all the tin was slick sanded. It got 3 good wet coats of PPG OMNI 60080 PO#1 and it looks fantastic. All that needs to be done now is final assembly and decals. This B should get lots of attention at any show, anywhere.
    See my old post about 4 pages back on how hard it is to get PPG OMNI mixed PO#1 60080 these days. If you have a 60080 formula it ain't to bad.
     Note, the inside of the tin got primed and finished with the ALKYD 60080 match
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic