This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RESTORED B-751

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GA-IN-TEXAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RESTORED B-751
    Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 7:05pm

I located this tractor on e-bay back in July of 2009.  It was in Montrose,Colorado which is quite a ways from where I live in Longview, Texas.  When I met the owner and looked at the tractor, I said to myself "Man, what have I gotten myself into here" (see before pictures).  But I also said, "Self, you came a long way to get this and it's too late to back out now. "   Now I can truthfully say I don't think I have ever enjoyed anything more than restoring this little 1938 Allis B.  When you finally finish a project like this, you can see all the hard effort and many trials it took to keep originality the #1 thing you put into it.  Also, I consider myself very lucky to have a  friend like Ken Aggen who let me freely use his barn and facilities and willingly shared his great knowledge of Allis Chalmers B models. Only if he had furnished all the $ to restore it, he would have been even a better friend - just kidding!  I will park it beside my 1946 B that I bought from Dave Maddux a few years back.  But, there is nothing like doing a restoration yourself.  I guess it just means a whole lot more when you do a restoration yourself.  A big thank you to all the people on this forum for all the knowledge and thoughts and ideas which was very helpful in completing this project.  Thanks guys - Gary Arneson

Sponsored Links

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 7:42pm
You've got something to be proud of, that's a really nice B there! All that work definitely payed off. My '39 has a long way to go before it looks anything like that; I'm jealous.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 7:52pm
You guys did a top notch job!

Very nice work, you can see the effort put into it in the final product.

Congratulations!!!
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 8:19pm
Very nicely done!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 8:28pm
Beautiful job.Thanks for posting pics.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 10:40pm
     I'm glad Gary found the before pictures of B751. When I first saw it all I could say was, "It has some interesting parts". Gary thinks this old B  may have slid down off a Colorado mountain more than once. Actually we used all the original tractor we could salvage as useable. What needed to be replaced we found on other early 38 B doner parts tractors in a effort to restore a authentic all early 38 B. We spent lots of days searching for parts and shaking our heads. As Most of you B guys know these Early Bs have some special parts only used for a short time in the long production run of the B.
     I really enjoyed working on this restoration with Gary and am as proud of the results as Gary is.
     I have a few Bs of my own in the before stage to restore and thanks to a AC friend like Gary they may look as good as B751 and Daves 46 some time soon. Gary is helping me with a 47 C one day a week right now. He don't mind getting dirty and barking a knuckle or two.
     It was fun and working with Gary was even funner. If stuff wasn't so "jickiefied" it would have been more funner. I will let Gary tell you what that is.

ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 2:29am
All I can say is WOW!
scott View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 6:33am
You guys did a real nice job!
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 6:58am
Thats a nice B. And some more pics of your hayride wagon would be nice, too. I have been thinking of doing something like that. Would like to see more pics of it!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 8:42am
Real nice Gary, you did a top notch job. It is nice to see the old 46 again.   Dave.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 8:56am
Did anyone happen to notice how the right front cast iron wheel was broken in 3 pieces and brazed back together? Thanks to Doc Smiths stash of used parts we got it replaced with a one piece good one. I want to thank everyone on the forum who supplied us with new and used parts for the B751 project. You all know who you are.
   If anyone is interested in the wheel weights on the before pictures they are For Sale. Not AC. They fit a B is all I can say about them.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 8:40am
bump
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 10:14am
GA: Simply AWESOME!!

Those B's are Great Tractors.

Excellent work!
Oldoug View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 10:20am
Great looking restoration!!!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 9:14pm
Guys, I always hate to see an AC leave Colorado, you know we are AC deficient here.  If I hadn't imported a D14 from Mo and a D17 propane from Utah (sorry Kip) we would have to ask you to return it to Colo.
P.S. Beautiful restoration. 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 8:06am
Boy you guys did some job on that Tractor! Beeeeutiful to say the least! That would bring a tear to any B guy's eye, especially my pal Bill Long. It is a task to find parts for those early B models that's for sure. Great job you guys, great job!!
Steve@B&B
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic