This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing HD5 Dozer flywheel clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing HD5 Dozer flywheel clutch
    Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:55am
I just blew up the flywheel clutch on my HD5 dozer. It stays engaged all the time and chatters like crazy. How hard is it to replace? Parts source? I did the steering clutches myself last year...hopefully it is a lot easier than that job.
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 12:08pm
 I am still have some parts for the dry master cluch and  me I prefer changed a stering cluch than the master cluch.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 6:14pm
Can be done in the machine , just remove the floor plates and then linkage, power shaft to trany , then bell housing. which gives you access to the clutch.
 As it is a over center clutch it snaps over to lock on by moving the throw out bearing in or out , this is attached to pressure plate with arms pinned to bearing carrier and pressure plate.
 Full clutch is also adjustable.  check the bushing that the bearing runs on also for wear as it centers the full unit to flywheel.  One reason to always idel machine with transmission in neutral and clutch ingaged is to keep from wearing out the brass bushing.
 I am using a ceramic button clutch in mine now and have only replaced one unit since I went to that. in 40 years of owning machine have been into clutch twice, and last time just one of the arms came off as cotter pin on pin came out and let arm flop.  

While your in there , replace the pilot bearing with a sealed ball bearing instead of open bearing if it has not been done already. This way you plug the end of crank shaft where the oil wick is and use modern bearing.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 13 Jun 2011 at 6:18pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 7:37pm
Thanks for the info guys. I will tear it down when I get some spare time and see what needs replaced. I pushed about 5,000 yards of shale rock for my new house pad last week. It gave up the ghost on the last couple of loads!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 5:50am
thing to remember is not to use the main clutch as a slip clutch , in or out. Know it is easy to get in the habit of inching machine while loading using the clutch but being a dry clutch it shortens the life .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic