This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement turbo for maroon underbelly 7000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACdave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement turbo for maroon underbelly 7000
    Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 3:12pm

Looking to replace the original turbo (rayjay 301F60). Seems that this model turbo can’t be rebuilt due to lack of replacement parts. Has anyone performed a turbo “retrofit” on this model of tractor? I have contacted a few different parts dealers and have yet come up with a solid answer to which turbo will match up. Looks like whatever model of turbo I put on will require re-plumbing. Does anyone have any pointers or know of a reliable source for new/rebuilt turbos that will fit? or the best method for going about this?

Edited by ACdave1 - 17 Jan 2011 at 3:14pm
Sponsored Links

Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 3:14pm
Looking to replace the original turbo (rayjay 301F60). Seems that this model turbo can’t be rebuilt due to lack of replacement parts. Has anyone performed a turbo “retrofit” on this model of tractor? I have contacted a few different parts dealers and have yet come up with a solid answer to which turbo will match up. Looks like whatever model of turbo I put on will require re-plumbing. Does anyone have any pointers or know of a reliable source for new/rebuilt turbos that will fit? or the best method for going about this?
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 3:18pm
My 200 has an Air Research TO4 on it. I would think it would work on the 7000 as its the same motor. I do know that they are still available. I put a new one on the 200 about 3 years ago.
ACdave1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACdave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 4:06pm
Thanks. I believe that model turbo is one that a parts place mentioned (TO4b80)... but they mentioned a line kit... but they couldnt tell me if that was for the oil lines or the air. I am just trying to plan for what I may need to modify.
Seems there are different TO4 turbos (80, 90, etc.) Anyone know what the difference is?
Tim-tn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim-tn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 4:14pm
You should be able to replace it with the Air Research with no problem. Any good pump/turbo shop should be able to get you the proper size you need.
ACdave1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACdave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 4:25pm
Yeah, but I cant seem to find a "good" pump/turbo shop... I am getting a lot of "we think" statements...
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:11pm
I had to replace the old Rajay on my XT this past summer, And I put a T04B80 on it. 90 is to big, that would be for like a 210/220/7040.etc.
  Was not hard to retrofit. I cut a few inches off intake pipe where it hooked to turbo, Got the adapter for the drain oil line and I bent the old drain line to fit up to the adapter and brazed it. Then for the oil feed line, I took a new brake line and formed it toi match the same location the RaJay hooked up at. No biggie.  Exhaust comes up in the same hole. ....  Didn't know the 7000 came with rajay turbs ....  Those Rajays turned into aero-space industries aircraft turbos... You can get the parts yet, but...7-10 times more expensive for parts. (one bearing was like 400 bucks and bearing seals and carbon ring were like 8-900bucks)  A few years back (5) you could buy the parts to repair the guts for about 80 bucks from Turbonetics in california but they had to send all their stuff back to Kelly industries. At that time the new desinated model was 300AB Roto-Master turbo.
  I did see a seal and bearing kit on Ebay made in china(?) awhile back and I think that was like 400 bucks.
  Just retrofit it with the T04B80 and the parts will be available if ever needed again.
ACdave1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACdave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 9:55am

Agreed... a retrofit is the way to go.

Did you have any issue with the compressor outlet tube size? The TO4 has a smaller diameter outlet tube than the Rayjay... I assume that Allis Chalmers made a different rigid inlet tube that will match up to the TO4 on a 301 engine? Also, I think the TO4 outlet tube will sit further back by about 1.5 inches or so...
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 11:57am
The compressor to intake manifold, I used origional pipe on XT and bought radiator hose that had the proper diameter to connect.  7000 will be a solid pipe from manifold,
  "I assume that Allis Chalmers made a different rigid inlet tube that will match up to the TO4 on a 301 engine?" Yes, simpler just go to a tractor salvage yard and get the right one.
  Or  Maybe cut tube near the base leaving enough room to put a hose and clamps on, to turn the tube in direction of comp. outlet or get a length of radiator hose tha will have the right angle from where you cut intake manifold pipe off at
ACdave1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACdave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 12:22pm
Thanks. I have considered cutting the solid tube and using some type of flexible hose (if I can't find what I need from salvage). And I wondered about radiator hose... don't see why it wouldn't work.
Mike Kroupa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Kroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 12:26pm
I sent you a pm., Thanks, Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic