This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Hydrolic hoses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stucktruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Hydrolic hoses
    Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 11:03am
I am new here. If I am posting in the wrong section or am in violation of forum rules in any way please forgive me.

I am trying to find a replacement hydraulic hose for the clutch on a mid 60's Allis dozer
I will update at lunch with the speciffic modle# and pictures of the line and tractor. All of the local hydrolic shops cant find one end of the line to make a new hose. it is a 2 bolt o-ring flange that connects the line to the drivers(right) side of the ??block/heat exchanger??.  

Any help would be appreciated, I have searched for hours online already and found nothing.  Thank you
Sponsored Links

Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 11:09am
not an expert but i change alot of hyd hoses at work might be able to advise on the hose with pics.

welcome to the forum lots of great guys here and a few nut jobs too!lol
 you are posting exactly where you should be
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 11:20am
Try MINPAR webwite or do like I have in the past :improvise , take old end and braze a fitting onto it to take a hose fitting that is easy to find. 
 I have had hoses made up in shorter lengths so the wear or damaged area can be fixed without replacing a long expensive hose. I also have made hoses from bulk or old hoses that were saved but had a bad end or area where much of hose was good
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 11:26am
HOSES ARE TRULY EXPENSIVE AND A PERSON MUST TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EVERY SITUATION. I TRY TO FIND PLACES THAT HAVE CLOSED SHOP AND BUY LEFT OVER INVENTORY.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 1:12pm
You cant buy the ends or the hose. You have to improvise. If its the hose that goes to the cooler on the side of the engine, its 3/4 in, take a grinder and split the crimped on piece than  shave the hose away carefully around the end thats stuck inside the hose with the 2 bolt flange. Its a hose barb with a crimped end compressing it to the barb. Than buy a NEW hose with the proper oposite end, than take a new 3/4  fitting put it in a chop saw and cut the bell off of the new one, slide that onto the new hose push the old barb into the new hose, than put it into  the hose maker and crimp the new bell on the new hose tightining up the old fitting, and ignore what the hose guy is going to tell you, becasue the line is lo pressure and will never blow or pull apart where you fixed it. We  have done it on a 745B loader,works great. DO NOT try to hose clamp it tight, wire hose will not tighten down enough to hold.
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 1:33pm
local hose shops won't even do that...but some will weld your old fitting to a new pipe and build the hose from that...then they will stand behind the work 
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench Mrgoodwrench wrote:

not an expert but i change alot of hyd hoses at work might be able to advise on the hose with pics.

welcome to the forum lots of great guys here and a few nut jobs too!lol
 you are posting exactly where you should be

Mr. Goodwrench! I resemble that statement! (the part about the nut job).............Or maybe that should be RESENT that statement. LOL!!!  Darrel
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 4:01pm
There isnt enough pipe to weld to, it curves in real tight to make the fitting fit into the cooler, and personally I wouldnt trust welding or brazing even though it is lo pressure. The way its made from the factory is exactly as I described, except you cant buy a blank bell anywhere, so you have to cut it off of a new fitting. You can ship it to me if you like and we can build it, but if your in a hurry we are a long ways away from you. You wouldnt have to send the whole hose cut both ends off, and give me a length and could build it  and ship it to you, will look factory, and I WILL stand behind it.
stucktruck View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stucktruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 4:04pm
That sounds like it will work.
THANK YOU
I will post pics after Christmas of the process so anyone else can copy it later.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 4:18pm
I've been challenged by similar situations in my projects. The 2-bolt flange can be dealt with by either cutting a block or a plate to cover the flange area, then drilling locating holes for fluid passage and bolts, then chucking the plate or block into a lathe and cutting the O-ring recess with an appropriately shaped cutter.

THEN... thread the plate for an appropriate hydraulic or pipe thread, and use a custom-made hydraulic hose that uses standard threads to match.

When clearance is tight, using a block, rather than a plate, works well. Drill halfway into the block on the O-ring's axis, and then drill in from one of the sides, to intersect the other drilling... then thread the side for a standard hydraulic fitting. Not OEM, but works very well.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 4:24pm
personally, Id do both hose right away, if one went the other isnt far behind it, and it is the lifeblood of the tranny.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Kcgrain Kcgrain wrote:

You cant buy the ends or the hose. You have to improvise. If its the hose that goes to the cooler on the side of the engine, its 3/4 in, take a grinder and split the crimped on piece than  shave the hose away carefully around the end thats stuck inside the hose with the 2 bolt flange. Its a hose barb with a crimped end compressing it to the barb. Than buy a NEW hose with the proper oposite end, than take a new 3/4  fitting put it in a chop saw and cut the bell off of the new one, slide that onto the new hose push the old barb into the new hose, than put it into  the hose maker and crimp the new bell on the new hose tightining up the old fitting, and ignore what the hose guy is going to tell you, becasue the line is lo pressure and will never blow or pull apart where you fixed it. We  have done it on a 745B loader,works great. DO NOT try to hose clamp it tight, wire hose will not tighten down enough to hold.
This is very good advice.....the reason no hyd. hose shop  suggests it is because they figure there's not enough money in it for them.  I've had the same procedure for a hose on a Fiat-Allis FL9, and it works great. There's a lot of wisdom in this whole column Clap.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 4:36am
Coke,

What I've been told is that brass braze won't stand modern hydraulic pressures and that silver solder is the go.

Brass would be OK for low pressure though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic