This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing The Toilet Stool Ring?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing The Toilet Stool Ring?
    Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 6:04pm
Both of my commodes have a rust colored ring where the water and the side of the bowl meet.  Is there a product that will take these completely off?

I have resorted to phosphoric acid and rubbing compound, but the ring is still visible.

Is there a product or method short of a new commode?   Confused
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 6:13pm
I have used Snobowl toilet cleaner with food results, Do NOT mix this into phosphoric acid, make sure the existing water and porcelain is CLEAN of the precious cleaner(s).

Apply it liberally and allow to set awhile(around a hour)
Meanwhile what type plumbing piping do you have? PVC will manage OK cast ir spun iron may become a problem with so much acidic waste.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 6:38pm
By now the porcelain finish may be etched and nothing will cure that. You say rust color as in iron deposits? I have used Iron Out or X with good results for rust stains.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 7:01pm
Vinegar removes stains and hard water deposits.  Cleans up rust too.  Pour about a cup into the bowl, let sit over night.  Repeat until desired results achieved.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:12pm
Everything is PVC here.  I am going to try the iron out or X. 

The acid had been diluted down a long time ago so I think we are cool.

Thanks
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 11:22pm
X2 with Dee...i use vinegar/baking soda mix, just pour the baking soda in, then the vinegar, it'll bubble up some, let it sit and flush after several hours. keep up on deposits and about once a month pour some vinegar in the toilet tank, it'll help keep the tank and the passageways to the bowl clean.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 6:16am
CLR
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 1:23pm
Thanks for the shout back Pat.  It is gonna be a shoot out between Iron Out and CLR.  Will post back down the road.

BTW ole Doug Macguire stopped in before this weather.  When he left that eve I had the new septic system and a noticeable flatter wallet.  LOL

Very pleased with the install.

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 1:32pm
don't overlook what plummerscarin said, the commode finish may be pitted already.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 5:40pm
man Lou, you must think I been dropping some heavy and caustic stuff in there.  LOL
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 7:19pm
As the ring forms at the water line of standing water or just above that level , 
Try forcing most of the water out then lay in TP blanket of several thicknesses over the stain area , soak with your desired cleaning agent and let set for hours . 
 This holds the cleaner onto stained area only and does a great job . 
I bought some laundry aid crystals said to make clothes whiter and on the directions it said it also works for removing bowl hard water lines and other stains from commode .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

man Lou, you must think I been dropping some heavy and caustic stuff in there.  LOL
Well, I can't speak to the cause, but I have one that the porcelain is pitted right at the water line. It is only two years old, too!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:48pm
Dave get a pumice stone and try to use it to rub it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ef9QB12ukA
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:30am
Try some TNT‼️‼️££‼️‼️
Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic