This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remington trigger recall?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington trigger recall?
    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:49am
I have a Remington 700 BDL rifle that has a recall on the trigger. Has anyone else dealt with this yet? I have a box coming for a return of the gun as we don't have a servicing dealer close. I kinda hate to remove the scope as it shoots very good. Just looking for any experiences on how it went. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:53am
In 1986 I bought a brand-new Remington 700 BDL in .25-06. NEVER had a better gun no matter what make or model. Around 1995 I was offered almost double what I paid for it so I sold it, thinking hey, I can get another and keep the change! It did not work out that way unfortunately. Nothing can replace that ONE particular rifle.
My apologies for not answering your question, I neve had a recall while I owned it. But I never had anything but excellent service from that gun. Good luck!
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 8:42am
that recall on the trigger surprises me.

seems to me that they were going to try to keep that problem buried forever.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:29am
Seems my Winchester Model 100 has a recall also on firing pin - but I have never had it replaced . Don't knoeif it was all or just some that had problems but last time I usedit no problems so will let someone else worry about it as it sets in gun safe anyway .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:57am
many people have been accidently shot because the recall didn't happen years ago.   if it's my gun, i send it in; just so i don't kill or maim with a defective gun that i was given the chance to have it fixed!
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:44pm
Had it done on my 700.  Took if I recall correctly, 3 weeks.  I removed the scope, I think it's a requirement to remove it.  The foam cut-out was for rifle only.  I sent mine to Scheels in SD I believe.
There's a website to check serial numbers but I don't have it anylonger.  It's been going on quite a while.
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 4:09pm
Funny, I live maybe 15 miles from the original Remington Arms factory in Ilion, NY. Still there but with New Yorkistan the way it is, won't be here for much longer...
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
bryani289swmi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryani289swmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 4:58pm
An option would be to install one of the many good aftermarket triggers. It would be better than anything Remington puts in, safe, and you can do it yourself. Thanks.

Bryan
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollowpoints explode on impact.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:00pm
The problem with the Remington 700 trigger is anyone with a screwdriver and not knowing what they are doing can make a dangerous firearm! Any trigger adjustment I have had performed on my rifles I took it to a component gunsmith. My 700 had a trigger job done and never was a problem. Gunsmith adjusted it to 3.5 lb pull. He also did my Savage 110. My Savage 6.5 Creedmoor has the Accutrigger and is fine . My AR rifle has an aftermarket trigger set at 4 lbs. As for your 700 I would send it in unless you have a component gunsmith nearby. My gunsmith is a authorized Remington Repair facility and did some of the earlier recall work. Gunsmith said they checked the trigger pull at 5 !B's from the factory and put epoxy sealer on the adjustment screws so they know when it had been tampered with. Keeping your firearms clean is the best way to have them work. As for accidental discharges keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot is best! A safety is a mechanical device that sometimes fails. Says that in the book that came with most of my firearms!
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 8:59pm
I would absolutely send it in unless you feel lucky.  This to me is more of a safety sear affair but I'm not sure as I don't own any newer 700's.  I think the problem was created by poor quality control after Cerebus Capital bought them and cut too many corners, they also bought Marlin and totally wrecked the gun.  I purchased a 336 and was lucky enough to get one with the sites that at least lined up, but that's another story.

In my opinion get your gun fixed before something you don't want is in front of the business end when it gives you a surprise.  The video below should tell you what you want to know.

I should add I don't agree with it being do to the cold.  It would have did it more than random, it's just cold when you hunt the gun, so it's easier to blame.  Just get it fixed before something bad happens and you have the weight of that on your shoulders because you didn't send it in. Better safe then sorry.

[TUBE]Qa0cNr2_fSE[/TUBE]

Edited by Kansas99 - 10 Feb 2020 at 9:31pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

The problem with the Remington 700 trigger is anyone with a screwdriver and not knowing what they are doing can make a dangerous firearm! Any trigger adjustment I have had performed on my rifles I took it to a component gunsmith. My 700 had a trigger job done and never was a problem. Gunsmith adjusted it to 3.5 lb pull. He also did my Savage 110. My Savage 6.5 Creedmoor has the Accutrigger and is fine . My AR rifle has an aftermarket trigger set at 4 lbs. As for your 700 I would send it in unless you have a component gunsmith nearby. My gunsmith is a authorized Remington Repair facility and did some of the earlier recall work. Gunsmith said they checked the trigger pull at 5 !B's from the factory and put epoxy sealer on the adjustment screws so they know when it had been tampered with. Keeping your firearms clean is the best way to have them work. As for accidental discharges keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot is best! A safety is a mechanical device that sometimes fails. Says that in the book that came with most of my firearms!

Klinemar, I'm not sure if it had to do with the trigger pull, I think it was the safety firing the rifle.  Also I'm a diehard Savage guy but I sure hope they don't end up with issues like this.  Ron Coburn had Savage producing some tremendous rifles but then he sold to ATK and now they sold to a private group, so I hope too many corners are cut.

Edited by Kansas99 - 10 Feb 2020 at 9:34pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by bryani289swmi bryani289swmi wrote:

An option would be to install one of the many good aftermarket triggers. It would be better than anything Remington puts in, safe, and you can do it yourself. Thanks.

Bryan

Not sure if this would fix the problem, don't know how the safety engages.  Wouldn't be worth it to me, let Remington fix it, then add a aftermarket trigger if you want the crisp light pull. Unless the aftermarket trigger includes a aftermarket safety like Timney.

Edited by Kansas99 - 10 Feb 2020 at 9:45pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:39pm
My 700 was a CDL older model and was not in the recall. Here is the link to find if your rifle qualifies by entering your serial number.
https://xmprecall.remington.com/
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 3:33pm
Thanks for posting that link. I was just about to open the safe to take a look when it gave the date range between 2006 and 2014 I think. Mine are all older so on the sofa I stay.😆
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:32am
The rifle will be returned just for peace of mind. Really don't care to have something happen.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:16am
Stan, I too would send it in for the hey of it.

I have watched videos of those 700's going boom without the trigger being pulled.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:03am
I saw a Remington 700 fire when the safety was moved to fire. Scared everyone around! Rifle hadn't been cleaned in 25 years! We stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning and couldn't get the rifle to repeat the problem. The bolt was full of oil,dirt and crud!

Edited by klinemar - 12 Feb 2020 at 11:03am
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:06pm
I've heard of this problem. I have a Remington 700 BDL, and it does have the X-mark pro trigger. I've checked my serial number on that web site before, and I done it again a few minutes ago. My rifle is not subject to the recall according to the site. If it was, I would send it in right away. My rifle is fairly new, I guess it was made after April 9, 2014. All guns made after that date are supposed to be safe. I hope so. I've tried to make mine misfire like on the video. It never has, although I'm still a little leery, but Remington is not going to do anything to mine because it's not subject to the recall.

If Remington informed you of the recall, you definitely need to send it in. You can get by without it a few weeks, and it won't cost anything. I think you did the right thing.

Edited by Ranse - 12 Feb 2020 at 4:12pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:35am
It won't cost you anything Mike and it is the right thing to do.  I wouldn't trust it without a new trigger and I would still be squeamish after they put a new one in.  I'd do like was said and put a GOOD trigger in.

There's nobody qualified around here that can do it?  I'm surprised that there isn't a dealer for them.  Probably was Monsoors?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:41pm
I have a 700 BDL, but I've owned mine since 1978.....I'm guessing that one is in the clear?

6mm Rem. Good shooter but getting harder to find ammo.

mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 2:42pm
Guys mine didn't fall within the serial numbers but it is going to be replaced. If your trigger is smooth that is the one. Ted we no longer have a local servicing dealer. Here is a pic of the triggers. Hope this helps!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 2:54pm
Ok you guilted me into looking in the safe and I do have a model 700 7mm mag in there. Checked the serial number and it is not in the recall. I do think they are multiplying as there seems to be more of them than they used to be. Need to get them out and give them a good oiling.

Dang it. You made me go look again. I'm still good as I have the ribbed trigger.

Edited by Stan IL&TN - 13 Feb 2020 at 3:01pm
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:46pm
The picture above is on the website. I saw that picture too. A smooth trigger doesn't necessarily mean it's subject to the recall. Mine has a smooth trigger because it is an X-mark pro trigger. Rifles manufactured after April 9, 2014 will have a punch mark on the bolt release button. This mark indicates the trigger is safe according to Remington's website. This is a picture of my rifle showing the punch mark.

When your rifle returns from repairs, it will have this punch mark. From what I understand from reading the info on the website, they are not going to replace the trigger. They are only going to remove excess bonding agents and clean it. What they do say is they are going to replace triggers sold outside the US. I don't understand that. If the exported triggers need to be replaced, why don't the ones sold in the US? Maybe they sold a lesser quality product over seas. That's the only reason that makes sense to me.

It's a personal decision I suppose. As for me, I have always liked Remington firearms, and I think they still make good products. I'm going to trust them when they say my rifle is safe, but I'm going to all ways practice good safe gun handling anyway.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:52am
Thanks for clarifying some info. I have mainly Remington guns and like you I do trust them. When I get the box it will go back to cleaned, inspected and repaired if needed.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 6:37pm
I received my rifle back today. I did get a new trigger. Remington was very good to deal with all around. The old push button bolt release didn't work too well but this one is much better. Overall glad I did it. Now have to remount the scope and go shoot it. I was suposed to sign for it but the UPS driver said they can no longer pass over the device. Just thought I would post an update!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 9:42pm
What do you mean Mike, "UPS driver said they can no longer pass over the device."  They just left it on the door step?  Instead of handing it to you?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 6:37am
No Ted I was not home on their first attempt to delivery so they came back the next day. The driver asked if I was Mike, I said yes and I thought they needed an adult signature. He said they could no longer hand over their signing device. I understood the reason. It was the same driver that had picked up the gun. 
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 7:07am
I'm glad it went well with your rifle, quick too. Thanks for the update, and have fun sighting that scope back in.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 2:51pm
Some place are doing away with signing your credit card receipt because of the virus
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic