This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red vs. Grey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike NEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red vs. Grey
    Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 8:57pm

Has anyone went from Red to grey combines or the other way around? if so which do you like better? I'm thinking about trading 1680 for an R 62 or 72,but working on my N6 is what switched me to red. You cant beat a gleaner cab but are they as big of a pain to work on as the N series were. Plus the IH dealer is 15 mile away and gleaner is 50 mile. Any pros and cons of either would be greatly appriciated.Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Mike
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 9:29pm
I think that Gleaner started painting the R's in 1998. About that time they gave the combines longer chaffer and sieves. No more cage sweeps and better cabs. We had a 2002 R62 that is still on the lot at Deike Imp. at Waverly, Ia. We traded it for a used R75. To me when I look at the N6's we had and the R62, the R62 always had one more belt. Where the N had 1 the R had 2. Where the N had 2 the R had 3. 1 x 1 1/4 cage is better.
Matt (NEIA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (NEIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 9:43pm

Deike is a hard dealer to deal with, they have lost many a sales from my family to Swartzrock in Charles City.   just a fun fact lol

1955 WD-45 with factory PS
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:04pm
We had a R62, never owned a red one but lots of friends do and I've helped work on enough of them.  I'd have to say that I'd rather sit in the R62 but there's nothing wrong with either, both have some good points and bad points. 

At least you have a dealer close by for parts and the availability of aftermarket parts is probably better for the IH.  Given the situation, I'd probably stay with the IH.  But once you run for parts it doesn't make much difference if it's 15 mi or 50, you're still down.

With this $6 range corn and $14 beans I think there's going to be a lot of tradeing going on.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Andrew(southernIL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew(southernIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:59pm
Not personally had a grey one, but have neighbors that do and it just seems like the grey ones will nickle and dime ya more than the red ones. Not saying that the red one won't cause they all do, but I would stay with red.
If fishing is a sport your looking at an athlete
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 2:38am
started with a green one, that one burned up, went to gray, then another gray, then another gray, then no close dealers so went to red, been thinking about going back to gray as they glean alot better and easier to woork on if needed! i do like the red too tho!
Dale-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:03am
All combines will nickle and dime you.  We see this every year with our customers, thing is the combines that we go over at our shop or our customers really go over dont have near the problems.  Lots of people think that they go over a combine but really they just look for what is broke or clear wore out. 

As mentioned before R62 is different from N6.  Heavier parts, no Cage sweeps, Longer shoe started in 96. 
Mike NEIN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike NEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 4:32pm
Thanks, I grew up with the gleaners A2,G,L2 and loved running them but after working on the N6 vs Dads 1460 I thought I don't want another Gleaner rotor to work on,so I got this 1680 but I still like sitting in the Gleaners without looking over that stupid steering wheel.

Mike.
jrjuday View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrjuday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 9:24am
Mike; does Truelove Bros. in Albion still sell parts for Gleaner?
Mike NEIN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike NEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 1:45pm
Hey Jr. yeah ,well they can order them and I get so sick of hearing that. Homiers always had what we needed but thats at least 2 hrs round trip. We also have the best IH combine man 4 mile from our place and thats worth alot too.
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Mike NEIN Mike NEIN wrote:

Hey Jr. yeah ,well they can order them and I get so sick of hearing that. Homiers always had what we needed but thats at least 2 hrs round trip. We also have the best IH combine man 4 mile from our place and thats worth alot too.

So Truelove bros seems to be just like Affolders in Berne. i know half of the time we're going to Northstar or sometimes homiers. homiers is where we bought our combine. it gets tiring but i stil keep on going with gleaner and orange.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic