This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Randall knives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Randall knives
    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 5:51pm
Anybody own one? I’ve always wanted one but can’t imagine myself spending that much money. Just curious if there are any owners on here.
Sponsored Links

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 7:22am
Over the years I've carried several Old Timer and Winchester $19 medium stockman pocket knives, my last one I had to give to the TSA at the airport. I then went out and bought a $40 Case and man there sure is a difference, however now I walk back to the shop and get the battery terminal cleaner instead of scraping it with my knife. That being said, I don't expect I'll see the day I spend $500 on a hunting knife even though they claim to be the best hand made knife on the market.
Maximum use of available resources!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 9:30pm
Those are some fine knives but I can't see paying that much either. My "go to" hunting knife is a USMC issue combat knife made by Ontario Knife Company. Holds an edge well and is tough enough to open up a deer. It has seen a lot of use over the years and I have a similar K-Bar still in the box if I ever need it. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 1:43am
Hubert...open up a deer or a beer? and i'm sure knives can be like the yeti brand stuff on prices
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:15am
Chrome may shine but chrome don't get ya home. $30 toe sticker's fine with me and leaves $470 more towards another Heart Breaker-Pain Maker.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 1:57pm
Shameless, open up a deer. I wasted too much time and money on the beer back in my younger days. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:34pm
I always kept my dad stocked with Old Timers and I like Gerber as my choice but if I win the lottery then all bets are off.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Chrome may shine but chrome don't get ya home. $30 toe sticker's fine with me and leaves $470 more towards another Heart Breaker-Pain Maker.
Wink I hope your sticking toads Cry and not your toe. Cause your already worrying about your Broken Heart you don't want your trouble piling up to many at a time.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 12:47am

[TUBE]nUR6TtdUxjQ[/TUBE]

[TUBE]sqUiWpGGCmI[/TUBE]
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 6:40am
Everyone has a favorite knife. Buck,Case,Gerber,Knives of Alaska and Western to name a few. Recently I bought an Outdoor Edge Razor Blaze for gutting deer. The knife has a replaceable cutting edge of surgical steel and the folding handle is blaze orange so you can find it if you drop it in the snow or woods. My oldest son was poking me about the knife saying with the replaceable blade it is a knife for someone who doesn't know how to sharpen a knife! I responded that in my case he was wrong the knife is for me who is too lazy to sharpen a knife! For everyday carry I have a Case folding knife and I stone it frequently to keep it sharp. The knife is really all I need to cut a deer but I have lost knives while gutting in the snow and I have found knives in the woods where others have lost them.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 7:18am
I have a Western made in Boulder Colorado. Fixed blade with a stacked leather handle very easy to sharpen and holds an edge. Also have a lock blade Olympic that has been a very good knife. Both came from junk stores. I have a Uncle Henry lock blade and a Buck Skinner that we’re family gifts handed down. They live a life of luxury.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 9:22pm
I made a knife for a friend of mine. He said he skinned four deer and six coons before he sharpened it. Them coons are the hardest on knives because they have so much sand in their fur from playing along the creeks and washing their supper in that dirty water.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

but if I win the lottery then all bets are off.

LOL
Yeah, you and me both, if I ever buy a ticket.
Maximum use of available resources!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 11:15am
I was at a leather show out in Sheridan WY.  There were several knife makers there.  They all make their knives without heat.  They get the correct steel,, then they cut the knife out of it.  Then they work that piece of steel until it's a knife.  Then they put a handle on it.  They all said that if you heat the steel it loses it's ability to hold and edge.  I described the size of knife I wanted to one of them.  He said it would be right around $400.  I watch that show Forged in Fire, so I thought that was how all good knives were made.  Guess not.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 12:30pm
kevin is a SPAMMER... Every post he makes has a link to SOMETHING he is trying to SELL... and he picks 2 YEAR OLD POSTS to add his SPAM to.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:50pm
I made a knife out of a heavy duty insert saw blade. I gave it the full heat treatment and polish. When I just about had it done I dropped it point down on the shop concrete floor. It put a pretty good dinger in the floor and all I had to do to the blade was wipe it off. It was sorta on the Bowey style blade design. A neighbor came by and offered 200.00 for it and I figgered, shoot I made one so I can make another. On the point of not heating your blade blank you have to be very careful doing it that way, but you can get a pretty good knife that way. The way I test the blade is with 1/2" jute and see how many easy cuts you get. I think general consensus is around forty cuts, but I've seen them go over a 100. So I guess it's how much effort you want to put into it. Some of these days I'll get around to putting up pics. Or maybe not.            Leon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic